Huggies went Cloth Backed in 1995!?

LittleMissPink

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Just found these vintage photos of Huggies with the Pack saying 1995. Does anyone know if this was all their products or just this type (not an American). I just discovered it wasn't until like 2001 that in Australia Snugglers (but still under the Huggies brand) started going cloth backed. I never thought it was this early on.
Did anyone else know this or is this new to you?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 133
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 145
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 143
SweetPrincess said:
Just found these vintage photos of Huggies with the Pack saying 1995. Does anyone know if this was all their products or just this type (not an American). I just discovered it wasn't until like 2001 that in Australia Snugglers (but still under the Huggies brand) started going cloth backed. I never thought it was this early on.
Did anyone else know this or is this new to you?
most desposible are a combination of plastic and cloth fiber it lets air through but keeps moisture in allowing the polymers in the diaper to absorb the liquids it not sure what the polymer in disposable diapers though

Reactions: Deleted member 53140
Yeah, Huggies were one of the first to do so. Took pampers a while longer due to patents and store brands even longer than that due to costs.

I always thought that Huggies were the last to go cloth-backed.

SlashNBurn said:
I always thought that Huggies were the last to go cloth-backed.

Might have had 2 lines. Or it could be USA vs UK.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
MrPurple said:
Might have had 2 lines. Or it could be USA vs UK.
It could be the latter.
I am from the UK, and some of my earliest recollection of Huggies from the early naughties, is that they were plastic-backer.

I’m pretty sure in the US Huggies went clothback in 1995, Pampers in 1998-1999 and Luvs in 2001.

It was a long transition period.

The last plastic backed nappies that were available in the UK were Wilkinson’s (Wilko’s) budget ones in Size 4 and 5. They were still plastic in 2015!

Last edited:
Huh. I was out of diapers probably by early/mid 1995, and my mother preferred Luvs, but makes me wonder if I ever wore one of these...

Last edited:
Sam I am said:
I’m pretty sure in the US Huggies went clothback in 1995, Pampers in 1998-1999 and Luvs in 2001.

Yeah, that's pretty much my memory of the transition as well.

I never really got many of the Huggies, since I didn't care for the cloth covering. I had some, didn't care for them.

I had lots of the Pampers and Luvs before they switched. I still have some new packages of both the Pampers and Luvs when they were still plastic backed.

PCS said:
The last plastic backed nappies that were available in the UK were Wilkinson’s (Wilko’s) budget ones in Size 4 and 5. They were still plastic in 2015!
I was under the impression that those still were plastic.
I remember plastic nappies still being a relatively regular thing, with the budget and supermarket brands especially, in 2004/5 roughly. I.M.E. you’d still see babies and small children around with plastic-backed nappies... Lucky enough as I was then, I had a friend with whom I’d wear nappies with (I was 5 or 6 then, we’d still wear nappies together until we were 11), and the ones we usually wore were plastic-backed Tesco value ones (granted they might have been from a little earlier, given I found them in a cupboard at my home). I had a younger cousin...around then,I think she wore plastic nappies.
To recall my own time in nappies...which ended 2 years beforehand, and of which I seem (unusually apparently) to have copious vivid memories, I do remember having some plastic nappies, but mostly Pampers.

I wonder if plastic nappies are still manufactured anywhere in the world?

Cloth backed came out around 95-96 and I was in the 4th grade when I first noticed them because my next door neighbor was still in them. But there is still plastic under it so they are not truly clock backed.

Fluffydoves said:
Yes they did.
P&G has already started the transition to cloth a year earlier.

It was as early as 1992 but I'm pretty sure it was officially 1993 in the states. They were called Huggies Supreme. I found some pics on picclick that someone is using to sell on ebay. The second pic clearly shows a 1993 copyright.

Huggies Ultratrims also got cloth-backed in 1995 as this printed ad suggests.

1995-Huggies-Diapers-Vintage-Magazine-Ad-Page-Happy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back