HTML help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltaomega

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Heh, Darkbasic is pathetic....DirectX programming in itself is a blast [/sarcasm] (Then again coding your own engine is not exactly a cakewalk either....)

In general most school computer teachers are generally surpassed by some of their students when it comes to smarts in the IT area and they most of the time hate this. Here's a tip, never get caught with the command prompt open and NEVER get caught running a livecd version of linux, it makes them feel inadequate.....lol

Also for HTML, I may sound stupid saying this but these days it's rare to find someone who codes using notepad. Although I have some respect for those that can code just using notepad, it is useless really. Dreamweaver is excellent for HTML work as it can remove a decent amount of the legwork required, then you can switch to code view and finish the rest of the tweaking :D

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Notepad is kind of a toy anyway. I prefer something along the lines of emacs.

Deltaomega

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I was just using the general reference of 'web design in a text editor', obviously this only applies to certain languages as others require a compiler or an actual IDE.

For coding related reading tasks I'd suggest Notepad++ for a notepad replacement :D

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Also for HTML, I may sound stupid saying this but these days it's rare to find someone who codes using notepad. Although I have some respect for those that can code just using notepad, it is useless really. Dreamweaver is excellent for HTML work as it can remove a decent amount of the legwork required, then you can switch to code view and finish the rest of the tweaking :D
I can code HTML in notepad but Dreamweaver like you said makes a lot of things a lot easier and does stuff for you. Like for instance the auto-complete which is very useful and the ability to see what you're making. I can usually make a mental image of what I'm making but especially when it comes to the final touches it's very useful. Though as we don't have Dreamweaver at school I've done stuff in notepad (or when doing bigger stuff using Frontpage just for the ease of switching between viewing and writing).

Also as with all scripting stuff the coloring of the code makes it a lot easier.

Last edited:

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
In general most school computer teachers are generally surpassed by some of their students when it comes to smarts in the IT area and they most of the time hate this. Here's a tip, never get caught with the command prompt open and NEVER get caught running a livecd version of linux, it makes them feel inadequate.....lol
We are not suppose to be doing that on our school computers. Against the rules! Then again, if they are that uptight on security, I could point out god no how many security flaws there are on it. But that would only put me in more trouble. It means the admins have to put in effort!

Anyway, Notepad++ is good and does Syntax highlighting. It is very useful to have at makes things sligtly easier to read. Just make sure you set the document as HTML for it to work.

And is HTML really coding? No, Its a mark-up language. then again. Your not as bad as saying its programming as some 12 yo like to say XD.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Fun thing to do on windows xp systems(though you didnt here it from me) in a command prompt(for schools on a network) type "shutdown -i"(no quotes) it will bring up a menu that will allow you to shut down any computer that is connected to the network all you need is the name of the computers. My school also doesn't have dreamweaver.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
That's actually a cruel thing to do, especially if the someone on the other computer has half an assignment or something typed out and not saved yet... Our school was nearly all macs (one computer room with windows pcs for the people that were doing software design for their HSC and 2 regular computer labs with eMacs in them and macs in most classrooms) and they had very tight security. Pretty much all you could do was open safari or ie and use the iLife apps and office. Once someone found a way around the restrictions on the system preferences app (we were only allowed to change our password) to change the wallpaper (by using iPhoto). The head IT teacher did his nut when everyone had custom wallpaper because of the extra strain it was putting on the network (we all had our user accounts on the server).

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm not sure it makes much sense to compare BASIC and HTML. I mean, HTML doesn't even define any sort of procedures (it's just markup).

Deltaomega

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
And is HTML really coding? No, Its a mark-up language. then again. Your not as bad as saying its programming as some 12 yo like to say XD.
Obviously but it sounds alot better than "find someone who writes in mark-up language in notepad."....Right? lol

Also Diapered4lyfe, the shutdown command in DOS (Not really DOS, it's only a command prompt) can be made alot more fun when you can remotely shutdown other computers with that command with a different switch depending on how the computers are networked. There are even small freeware programs out there that have extra features such as daily at a certain time and so on (sure a quick batch script would work too). Hell even slap a timer on it using just the command line!

Another favorite command of mine on Windows systems for networked PC's is the 'Net send' command, allows you to send a pop-up box to a system or a whole range of systems.
http://www.cezeo.com/tips-and-tricks/net-send-command/

Plenty of other nifty things to do but so far what I've detailed is totally legal, the rest being 'moot' and basically in the eye of the beholder.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Obviously but it sounds alot better than "find someone who writes in mark-up language in notepad."....Right? lol

Also Diapered4lyfe, the shutdown command in DOS (Not really DOS, it's only a command prompt) can be made alot more fun when you can remotely shutdown other computers with that command with a different switch depending on how the computers are networked. There are even small freeware programs out there that have extra features such as daily at a certain time and so on (sure a quick batch script would work too). Hell even slap a timer on it using just the command line!

Another favorite command of mine on Windows systems for networked PC's is the 'Net send' command, allows you to send a pop-up box to a system or a whole range of systems.
http://www.cezeo.com/tips-and-tricks/net-send-command/

Plenty of other nifty things to do but so far what I've detailed is totally legal, the rest being 'moot' and basically in the eye of the beholder.
I said command prompt when i typed so idk why you would say that and i was talking about remotely shutting down computers ... And obviously i don't want to install anything on my schools computers because they are a holes about that stuff(plus they have deepfreeze). With my school sending messages over the networks is an automatic suspension from using the computers for a year. you preaching to the choir here really.(did you even read my post????)

Deltaomega

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Heh, guess my brain kinda missed the 'networked' part there :D

Wow, deepfreeze...their IT person must be fairly decent in IT security to use a setup such as that O.O (Ways around it of course but whats the point if you get suspended for a year for just sending messages, heh)

Status
Not open for further replies.