How were you finally potty trained, and what was it like for you?

Serendiapity

Wearin’ diapies, huntin’ shinies
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Like many of you, I’ve long been captivated by questions about my ABDL origin story, and of course that means thinking about how my earliest years shaped my future development. At least for me, I have to think potty training, along with its related trauma, was a main fulcrum in this process.

I was originally potty trained when I was 2 or 3; I actually don’t remember it very well at all, or how my parents achieved it. But due in part to the fact that my sister was born not long after I turned 3, I started to significantly regress soon after that point, much to my parents’ ire. (One of my earliest memories is my mom screaming “god damn it!” at me for pooping my pants.) Despite their reluctance and anger, I had to be put back in Pampers until I was about 4.

I remember their frustration trying to retrain me, especially because I would always treat pull-ups just like they were diapers. After a while, I guess they had had enough, and the way they finally got me to potty train was by forcing me to sit on the potty all day long for about 3 or 4 days until I got the hang of it. I was miserable, and in hindsight would go so far as to call it a traumatic experience, but I guess it got the job done.

I feel like potty training is supposed to feel like a happy, proud accomplishment for the kid, but to me it just felt like a result of being punished. I never felt any boon to my self-esteem, and it wasn’t long at all before I wished I could be diapered again. Even to this day, I have a fear of failure that I have to think stems back in some way to the fiasco that was potty training for me, and that’s not even getting into my ABDL side.

Do any of you remember how you were finally trained, or how you felt when you were? Was it traumatic for you, and do you think it’s affected your development, either as an ABDL or otherwise?

Last edited:
Reactions: sinceiwassmall

babym13

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I don't remember the training process but my fondest memory after being potty trained was I remember my brother getting changed i was jealous and pooped my pants in hopes my mom would diaper me. She didn't put me in a diaper I had a very red butt and ended up standing in the corner for a while

MISSION FAILED!

ichinyan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
I don’t really remember the details of my potty training at all, but I think I’ve been told I was a slow learner! I do remember that even after training, I still had some issues, which might’ve affected my development!

Throughout a majority of growing up, I had a problem with holding myself when I had to poop, (too focused on other things!) leading to some unfortunate accidents and bad constipation when I got older. 🙁 I remember being scolded often by my mom who could tell whenever I was holding myself!

Reactions: wetaccident

robertabdl74

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
No idea. I was 2 in 1976

LadyOfTintagel

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Every now and then I'm reminded of one if my oldest memories, which is of me as a 3ish year old(?) proudly informing my parents of my awesome new idea where I would pee myself one day and then poop myself the next, alternating back and forth forever. They were less than enthused about my idea.

I actually can't remember being potty trained. It happened young with me as it did with you. Maybe eventually I got jealous over what I might have missed out on :)

Str88jacketabdl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I was almost 5 by the time they finally got me out of diapers. I fought hard.

• Love
Reactions: Miki and ReluctantAdult

Dragon64

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I think I was like 2 or 3 when I was potty trained. All I remember about it was seeing the pack of pull-ups and thinking that they were disposable diapers, my dad scolding me for peeing in my pull-ups, my dad having me sit on the training potty even though I kept telling him I didn't have to go, and the book "Everybody Poops"

Last edited:

Elhon

Baby
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I was never fully potty trained so I remember when I was out of daily diapers at around seven. I had an accident until thirteen or so about twice a month but I knew what caused them so I was in diapers/training pants at the time. when I was a kid I wet myself at the grocery store and was back in diapers had the same happen at 21 and as a lifetime bedwetter went DL

Reactions: Rezzu, Miki and Lyric

Lyric

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I wasn't daytime potty trained until I was 7 and felt quite happy I didn't have to wear diapers during the day anymore, especially to school. But I continued to wear diapers to bed because I still wet my bed and didn't stop completely until I was 17. Mostly I stopped because I was going to go on to college soon and my mother encouraged me, or nagged me might be a better term, until I finally stopped, but afterward, I felt like something was missing in my life. I was so used to wearing diapers and using them to pee in, or able to sleep through the night and not worry about having accidents. Eventually, I returned to wearing diapers when I could, like coming home for holidays and felt much better.

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Serendiapity said:
I feel like potty training is supposed to feel like a happy, proud accomplishment for the kid, but to me it just felt like a result of being punished. I never felt any boon to my self-esteem, and it wasn’t long at all before I wished I could be diapered again. Even to this day, I have a fear of failure that I have to think stems back in some way to the fiasco that was potty training for me, and that’s not even getting into my ABDL side.
It's interesting (and sad, no doubt) to hear about these harrowing potty training experiences. I do wonder how they plug into the bigger pictures of our lives. A lot of times people will say, "I'm ABDL because I potty trained late!" I hate starting fights so I usually nod silently and move on, but it's always been hard for me to believe that late potty training was a major factor by itself. "Late" is subjective anyway. On the other hand, if potty training was a literal gut-wrenching, punitive experience, that's something else. It's easy to imagine a diaper attachment being created or reinforced by an experience like what you describe.

But anyway, versus yours, my potty training experience was laughably mundane. I don't remember anything of it myself, but my mom's told me the story many times. She had been determined that I should potty train on my own terms, but I was almost three years old and showing absolutely zero interest. Her resolve reached its breaking point one day when I walked up to her with a poopy diaper and just said, "Change me." She was like, "That's it!" She says she started sitting me on the toilet every couple of hours and I was trained in about a week. I just "got it" immediately. She felt so silly. She said she wished she'd done it a year earlier.

I continued wearing diapers to bed for several months, and I can remember lying in bed while Mom pinned my diaper on. I'm pretty sure those are my oldest memories. I can't recall anything traumatic or even mildly stressful. I guess I lucked out. On the other hand, it does leave me without any especially compelling theories about my own ABDL origins.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinceiwassmall, Serendiapity and pdiapered

rcn3000

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I wasn’t fully potty trained til I was almost 4. I was ok peeing in the potty (though I certainly had my fair share of accidents and wet pants), but I absolutely wouldn’t poop anywhere but my diaper/pull-up. I remember going to “hide” in our laundry room or behind the couch to poop and then would get changed after. My mom would sit with me on the toilet for periods on end but I wouldn’t do it. One time I finally did and I was so excited to tell my dad when he got home from work that evening, but then the very next morning I pooped in my diaper and my parents would ask me why I didn’t go to the bathroom like I had yesterday. Eventually it just clicked I suppose, and I’m pretty sure there were bribes involving twizzlers which I loved.
It’s definitely shaped me as a DL now, however. I love to wear Goodnites since they’re close to pull-ups and pretend that I’m that 3 or 4 year old hiding from my parents while pooping my pants. Brings back fond memories.

Reactions: HenryABDL, pdiapered and sinceiwassmall

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I was adopted at the age of 2 and not potty trained so I vaguely remember mine. I can still remember the potty seat that sat on top of our regular toilet seat and my mom setting me down on it. I can remember being diapered in my cloth diapers. I also remember one day having an accident after I was potty trained and being spanked for it because we were going out to see my aunt and uncle. So yes, back in the day a lot of us were pressured and even spanked during the potty training process.

Reactions: pdiapered

Miki

High Funktioning Asperger Autist
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Serendiapity said:
well said - what is ones success is an other ones failure and what have both in common is that none of them can explain why ... it simply IS ...
Serendiapity said:
Do any of you remember how you were finally trained,
I can answer this question in two ways:
#1 - the 'official' version - never really complete
#2 - the reality nobody knew - I did it on purpose all the time with an 'accident' in very rare occasions only at best at the age of 5 at least
Serendiapity said:
or how you felt when you were? Was it traumatic for you, and do you think it’s affected your development, either as an ABDL or otherwise?
for sure there is an influence at least in the sense of the old saying 'what does not break you, strengthens you' and one of the first opportunities to stay the ground in the short run but also an effect in the long run for parents, they are not aware of at the time: they may be able to enforce their will on you at the moment by brut force but not necessarily by intelligence but in the long run they can not win as one is as sure as sure amen in the prayer - you will survive them and at the latest then you have won and in the meantime, when they grow older, it can easily be that they become dependent on you what means payday - they are on the short end of the stick and you can tell them to go where the sun never shines and it is too late for them to regret what they have done to you ...

what parents also can not know if they deal with an real autist is the different way of thinking: multidimensional instead of linear, thus you are not bound to time and space anymore but experience things simultaneously in a timeless state - the now, where the result of an action that happens decades later, exists right now also.

this is what makes autists possibly somewhat dangerous and incalculable for neurotypicals (linear thinker) who forget the result of the first step when they arrived at the third or fourth step.

Reactions: pdiapered

GoodniteQueen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Potty training wasnt that big of an acomplishements for me because I had to keep wearing pullups for other factors till I was almost 12

Jace

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Str88jacketabdl said:
I was almost 5 by the time they finally got me out of diapers. I fought hard.
same here

Nowididit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I don't really recall but knowing my mother I'm sure it wasn't a very pleasant experience. I also wish not to go back there and remember the experience.

Frungie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I don't remember being potty trained, but I think it was uneventful and within normal limits. What I do remember was a curiosity and fascination when a playmate had an accident in her panties. At about the age of 13, I started experimenting with wetting and messing my underpants when my parents and older sister weren't home. I enjoyed the naughtiness and sensations and fast forward to this morning in a wet and messy Bambino Classico v2 diaper...sooo nice!

Reactions: sinceiwassmall and Lyric

wetaccident

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
I don't remember potty training itself. I really didn't want to potty train though and had no interest in until I was maybe 4 or so and needed to do it to start school. I do a step stool up to the big potty in the bathroom for awhile.

Once told I had to do it for school I apparently didn't have a real problem with the process itself. I can remember wearing diapers and post-diapers/training eras but not anything in between.

The challenge though was that even after training I still regularly wet the bed, which is not that uncommon of course, but also had frequent daytime accidents. I'd get too busy or focused on playing and not want to stop to go potty. I would go on my own happily if not distracted (or if a bit shy in public or unfamiliar environments) but if I was having fun it became a real issue. This continued for years through childhood.

ichinyan said:
I remember being scolded often by my mom who could tell whenever I was holding myself!
This is relatable to me too. It was a source of frustration for my mom who would ask me if I had to go but I always insisted I absolutely did not even when i very obviously did. It's obviously absurd looking back but in my head at the time going to the bathroom was definitely a much lower priority than whatever I was doing.

I do think I came to my interest in diapers more from the accidents I had over the years rather than any direct relationship to potty training as the enjoyment of wearing diapers didn't resurface until high school.

Reactions: ichinyan and sinceiwassmall

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I have no memories of potty training.

hanbanan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I remember being potty trained in late preschool and being relieved that I’d be like all the other kids and wouldn’t need my Pull-ups anymore. I still wore a Pull-up to school at the very start of Kindergarten a few times if I was having a series of accidents, but it was mostly a pride and relief that I could go to the potty on my own. Nighttime, I still had the shame (I didn’t really know it at that age yet) of throwing myself on my changing table and having a diaper strapped to me for the nighttime along with my younger sister.