How To Reduce File Size For Image Uploading

KitsuneFox

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
We have received a number of questions and complaints regarding members not being able to upload images due to the file size being too large. This simple guide will show you how to easily reduce the file size.

The only tool you will need is image editing software. The instructions I will be giving are for a popular free program called GIMP [ LINK ] . Other image editing applications may be a bit different.

1: Open the image you wish to reduce the file size of in GIMP. ( File > Open )
2: Reduce the image dimensions. About 800 * 600 or 600 * 800 works well in these forums. ( Image > Scale Image > [Scale] )
3: Export the image as a .jpg. You will need to provide a file name followed by extension. Example: ImageName.jpg . Setting the quality to 85% is the best compromise between file size and image quality. ( File > Export As > 'ImageName.jpg' > [Export] > Quality 85% > [Export]

Your image's file size has been greatly reduced and is ready for uploading. 🖼️

Note: it is a good idea to take pictures with your camera using the largest possible resolution. It makes it a lot easier to do image edits & corrections later.

Last edited:
Reactions: diaperdude, MegaLugia, PaddedRita and 5 others
I find if you screenshot your images they send as a screenshot . I'm only on a smart phone

Reactions: fleckothefennec
How do you send a video can't work that out . Not very good with tech lol

Gosh. GIMP is possibly my favorite piece of freeware, but downloading it just to shrink an image feels like epic overkill. It's a big and complicated app, too, so if you’re downloading it because somebody told you to, you’re really not a member of its target audience, and you’ll be better off saving the drive space.

If you’re on Windows, just use Paint or Photos. Google “resizing an image with Paint” (or Photos) for the corresponding how-to. On the Mac, use Preview. On iOS, grab the free and easy-to-use (and appropriately-named) Image Size app from the App Store. I’m sure there are a dozen or more equally suitable apps for both iOS and Android.

If you’re running some flavor of Linux besides Android or Chrome OS, or are here via AWeb running on an Amiga 500, then you’re a silicon-blooded computer nerd who doesn’t need to be told how to resize an image.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MaxxH, Woncrinklz and chrischrischris
To shrink images a free simple tool is irfanview, very small in fike and memory footprint too.
No need to install a full blown image editing software, gimp is good but i never figured out their manual.

Reactions: Woncrinklz
If you are on a PC then open the file folder with your images, then right click on the image. Click on "send to mail recipient" in the drop-down that opened. (you can select multiple files at once) a new window opens asking to attach, select medium or smaller then click attach. another "Outlook" window will open, DO NOT close this window at this time ignore it. Then in your windows search box type %temp% and open that file location. You will find your resized pictures there. You must move them to another location or they will be deleted when you close the "Outlook" window.

Littlebabybecca said:
If you are on a PC then open the file folder with your images, then right click on the image. Click on "send to mail recipient" in the drop-down that opened. (you can select multiple files at once) a new window opens asking to attach, select medium or smaller then click attach. another "Outlook" window will open, DO NOT close this window at this time ignore it. Then in your windows search box type %temp% and open that file location. You will find your resized pictures there. You must move them to another location or they will be deleted when you close the "Outlook" window.
That's not only very inconvenient, it also destroys the image quality way more than compressing it with more appropriate software.
Basically any good image editing software will do:
- irfanview (free)
- Paint.net (free)
- GIMP (free)
- Photoshop (commercial)
and plenty more, but it's all about how convenient it is, even Windows Paint can do it but it also destroys the image quality.
I found for very quick resizes irfanview and Paint.net fast and easy to use and not heavy to run on your computer.
(sorry if I sound like a pain but this is my area of expertise)
Outlook is just really bad at anything, even quotes get un-utf-8'ed....
Basically I assume that the majority here want an easy to use method that does the job right, so here's a nice tutorial:

Reactions: Jonnythepony
chrischrischris said:
I find if you screenshot your images they send as a screenshot . I'm only on a smart phone
I do the same thing

• Love
Reactions: Woncrinklz and chrischrischris
For quick resizing that doesn't cause issues with quality, at least for me it hasn't, I have used a little program called Image Resizer for Windows by Brice Lambson. I downloaded it and installed it several years ago, so this thread made me go look for it on the web again. From Brice's site, it appears he is now working with Microsoft on a joint project.

Reactions: GreasyGears
Are videos not able to be uploaded on this site? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Reactions: SofiaInPampers and chrischrischris
tails1234 said:
Are videos not able to be uploaded on this site? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
They take up too much bandwidth, I think.
The issue of resources came up some years ago, in relation to animated gifs (as banners and profile pics).
The other issue with large, complex files is that of the potential for hidden data being encrypted within them.

Reactions: tails1234 and chrischrischris
ade said:
They take up too much bandwidth, I think.
The issue of resources came up some years ago, in relation to animated gifs (as banners and profile pics).
The other issue with large, complex files is that of the potential for hidden data being encrypted within them.
Ok. That makes sense

Reactions: chrischrischris
If I want to quickly post something on the web I'll usually just use Photopea, even though I've got a Photoshop subscription. Most of the time I just need to crop / resize an image and make some colour adjustments, but the app also has most of the important Photoshop features like the different adjustments (curves, levels, H/S/L etc.), layer masks, adjustment layers, selections, warp mesh, clone brush and even the pen tool for creating vectors. I've only got a Chromebook in my bedroom, so it's handy that i can just open a new tab and go to the Photopea website for most of my needs.

I have not been able to load a single picture anywhere since I got a different camara and PC, its been 2 years and it sucks, I don't know all these terms so have no idea what most of u are saying

• Love
Reactions: Woncrinklz and chrischrischris
I screen shot my pictures then they send as a screenshot

If you're on macOS, right click on the image and select Quick Actions > Convert Image.

Set Format to JPEG and Image Size to small, and untick Preserve Metadata.

• Wow
Reactions: 70sPampers and chrischrischris
tails1234 said:

I might be wrong, but there's 2 ways I can think of doing this. 1: If you have an Apple device (and maybe other brands, idk) you can download an app called iMovie and make "screen videos". You just make a screen video of what video you want (you have to be on the app to know what I'm talking about), upload it to your photos, and it should be there. And 2: If you have a YouTube account, just upload your video to there. (Although, I created a YouTube account just for uploading videos). After that, just copy and paste the link here.

And don't worry, it's not a dumb question. I know plenty of people who ask me tech questions all the time.

Yah I just screen shot it, either on my phone or PC, takes very little knowledge and time👍

Reactions: chrischrischris
Back