How to not waste diapers if you wear at night?

Well you could use a more absorbent Diaper for work that you know can take 9 hours, I know some of the most absorbent Diapers can last 9 hours or longer

When you know you wont need a very absorbent Diaper you can go for something less absorbent

BabyTyrant said:
Well you could use a more absorbent Diaper for work that you know can take 9 hours, I know some of the most absorbent Diapers can last 9 hours or longer

When you know you wont need a very absorbent Diaper you can go for something less absorbent

Diapers that are too thick might give it away too much.

hiddendutchman said:
Diapers that are too thick might give it away too much.

There are ways to hide that one is wearing Diapers, like layering up

sbmccue said:
Here's an idea: Switch to cloth diapers and you can stop beating yourself up for 'wastage.'
I second that idea. For cloth, you can choose how much padding to add thus eliminating the waste problem.

SorcerorElf said:
I second that idea. For cloth, you can choose how much padding to add thus eliminating the waste problem.

Not my thing :(
I'm in love with disposables.

Drink plenty of water before bed, then your morning pee (or middle of the night one(s)...) will always be substantial, and you won't feel like you're wasting the capacity of your nappy.

Surely you always want to put a fresh one on for the day, so might as well thoroughly flood your overnight one before taking it off!

hiddendutchman said:
Title might be a bit confusing...
But I am planning to wear diapers for a longer time in a row, which means at daytime and nighttime, but I have a bit trouble with wasting diapers by not fully using them.

For example when I get home after work today I can start wearing.
I can take it off when taking a shower and put it back on if it is not too full (it wont be).
When I go to bed you usually put on a fresh diaper, but here comes the first wasting. The diaper I put on after work will definitely not be fully used. It will be wet but it can definitely hold more. That's okay, but then comes the real wasting of a diaper. The fresh diaper I put on when going to sleep will still be dry when I wake up because I do not pee when I'm asleep.

So in the morning I have two choices.
1. Take the diaper off and go to the toilet to do my morning pee and put the diaper back on for the rest of the day. (I can't change at work, im on the road all day and at customers).

2. Do my morning pee in the diaper and change into a fresh one, because when I pee in it in the morning it wont hold up the rest of the day. But in my opinion this is a huge waste of the diaper because my morning pee will definitely not fill the diaper as much. And I would hate to waste a diaper for just a medium pee while it can hold more.

So how do you guys do this? What is your routine and how do you avoid wasting diapers?

1. If the diaper has never been used yet, go for it

2. If you had it on since the day before and it has been used, go pee in it because the diaper starts to smell when the urine is old in it so you will mind as well have a reason to change. Do your morning pee and change since it was wet anyway and it will be smelly at work and you don't want to smell like urine.

For me I will keep a diaper on I had on since last night and change in the day time before work or before getting my son if the diaper is wet enough. If I changed in the day time and it's bed time and the diaper isn't wet enough, I will leave it on and sleep in it and pee in it more and change the following morning or day time.

It defintely sounds like you don't drink enough. I could not survive on just two nappies per day, even the most absorbent would be soaked.

Your best option depends on which aspect of wearing you enjoy the most. If you just like the feel of the nappy on you, don't use it at all and you will get the longest wear time out of each. If you enjoy the feeling of a wet one, add some warm water so you can get that sensation even before you use the nappy, and when you do use it the urine will be diluted and less aggressive to the skin over longer wear times. If you enjoy the freedom that wearing a nappy gives you, to wet when you feel like it, then a nappy that has been worn but not wet is not wasted because it gave you the freedom while you had it on.

The last point is the key to my enjoyment, at least. The nappy is there to help me, making it possible to wee and poo when I need to without having to go to the bathroom. But I am not a slave to it and don't feel obliged to use it just because it's there, and certainly don't want to be forced to change it at an inconvenient time because I've got too close to its maximum capacity. So if I haven't used it much by change-time, no matter, I still had the freedom I enjoy, and the sensation of wearing it, and membership of the elite club of people who do, so most of its benefits were used even though it's not very wet.

As it happens, I wet all the time, so it's rare for a nappy to be completely dry even after 15 minutes of wear and putting a pre-worn nappy back on is not generally a pleasant option. OTOH because I use the nappy for messes too, it's rare that I would need to take it off other than at change-time.

There are so many different aspects to enjoy about wearing a nappy, it's not surprising we all have different routines with different pros and cons.

For me i kinda feel the same way, about wasting diapers. I love wearing them but usually only do it at night. I usually try to drink a lot so i will pee but when i do i usually just take it off right away and like most of the diaper is still dry minus the soaking of the front. Ive read posts of others who can actually wet multiple times in the same diaper but i cant even think of how i could do that

ChocChip said:
Drink plenty of water before bed, then your morning pee (or middle of the night one(s)...) will always be substantial, and you won't feel like you're wasting the capacity of your nappy.

Surely you always want to put a fresh one on for the day, so might as well thoroughly flood your overnight one before taking it off!

I usually don't drink 2 hours before going to bed to avoid needing to go pee in the middle of the night.
But it would be a nice thing to try in the weekends so I can do a long full pee in the night, only downside if that I will wake up after 1 or 2 hours after drinking.
How much do you drink before sleep?

hiddendutchman said:
I usually don't drink 2 hours before going to bed to avoid needing to go pee in the middle of the night.
But it would be a nice thing to try in the weekends so I can do a long full pee in the night, only downside if that I will wake up after 1 or 2 hours after drinking.
How much do you drink before sleep?
Usually a couple of glasses... I find if I do wake up after an hour or two, I can just use my nappy and go straight back to sleep. I may need to go once more before morning, or just thoroughly soak my nappy after waking up!

ChocChip said:
Usually a couple of glasses... I find if I do wake up after an hour or two, I can just use my nappy and go straight back to sleep. I may need to go once more before morning, or just thoroughly soak my nappy after waking up!

Im not sure if I can even fall asleep after doing that hahaha

It’s a day to day thing for me. If my diaper is t wet when I get up I’ll usually just pop jr out of the top of the diaper and use the toilet and wear the same diaper throughout the day.

If I’m wet in the morning I usually carry on using it when I get up. From there I assess what level of saturation I’ve got when I have to go to work and what I’ll be doing through the day (whether or not I’ll be able to change)

bambinod said:
I keep a fairly large variety of diapers on-hand, both in style and in capacity, and do try to pick out a diaper for the evening that's reasonable for the amount I expect to pee overnight. (based on how much I've drank, how long I plant to sleep, etc) I don't let it bother me if I get up in the rorning and my diaper isn't very full. If it's a weekend, I just don't bother changing right away, and can usually wet a few more times before I need to change to get ready for my day. If I need to change and get off to work, owell, no big deal.

Remember, it's better to wake up with some dry padding, than to wake up with wet sheets! It's not "wasted padding", it's "insurance" :)
Thats my strategy also, have a supply of different types of diaper. I rarely toss out a partially used diaper.

Back