How to keep healthy while in isolation or quarantine (COVID-19)

Blastingstarfish

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
Whether you are in quarantine or self-isolation due to COVID-19, you will inevitably be spending more time at home. Following general healthy living advice such as eating a balanced diet, staying hydrated, being physically active, getting enough sleep, and managing stress are the best recommendation for staying healthy during quarantine or self-isolation.
1. Eat a balanced and varied diet
Simply put, there are no foods or supplements that can ‘boost’ our immune system and prevent or treat COVID-19. Nevertheless, eating a well-balanced diet, with plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, plant, and animal proteins, and healthy is the best way to get all the essential nutrients we need for good health and normal immune function. As self-isolation may lead us to be less active, it is also important to pay close attention to food portions and to keep our energy adjustment adjusted to meet our needs.
2. Establish a routine and practice mindful eating
In times of uncertainty, it is normal to feel anxious, sad, stressed, and scared. Maintaining a normal daily routine can help manage some of this stress. One way we can do this is by sticking to regular mealtimes and planning meals in advance. This can help us better control hunger levels, meet our nutrient requirements, and allow us to get the most out of the food we have, reducing food waste.

During the long periods of stress we may find ourselves eating more than we need. Plus, staying at home for longer periods may also lead us to snack out of boredom. Practicing mindful eating can be a useful strategy to maintain a healthy relationship with food and to helps us balance our energy intake.

Here are some tips to help you practice more mindful eating:
  • Don’t eat on the go - it’s difficult to be aware of how much you are eating. Have a seat.
  • Resist eating straight from the bag/box. Serve your food – you’ll be able to see and appreciate what and how much you’re eating.
  • Remove distractions. Turn off the TV and everything else with a screen, like computers, phones, etc. while eating
  • Take small bites and chew well, while focusing on the smell, taste, and texture of the food. Try to get 30 chews out of each bite.
  • Try putting your utensils down after each bite. Don’t pick them back up until you’ve swallowed what you already have in your mouth.
  • Don’t try to finish the whole plate. If you feel full, safely keep the leftovers.3. Keep hydrated
3. Keep hydrated
Keeping hydrated is essential for overall health. How much water we need depends on our age, sex, weight, height, level of physical activity, and environmental conditions (i.e. hot weather will likely require you to drink more water). Taking into account that around 20-30% of the water we need comes from our food, the European Food Safety Authority has set average recommendations for how much water we should drink per day depending on our age.

If you have access to safe tap water, this is the healthiest and cheapest drink. For a refreshing boost, you can add slices of lemon, cucumber, mint, or berries. Other drinks such as unsweetened coffee and tea or iced tea, or unsweetened, infused, or flavored (sparkling) water are also good choices for hydration.

Reactions: perlFerret
Mindful eating is something I don't do often because my food used to be taken from me so I learned to eat so fast that nobody would take my food. It kinda went through the ages and as polite as I am I still tend to be that kid with the spaghetti face at the table

However i been in practice of mindful eating lately and can personally also recommend a 7 day mindful eating course from ninja focus, a kid's app for meditation and yoga. It's really fun and engaging and the course mentions the appreciation and taste of food (and not eating that your so full but rather only eating what you need)

Especially during quarantine it's very easy to stress eat without even thinking about it since we are all locked up (us particularly... the area I live is out of lockdown and the number one highest state hit with covid in the USA but we are still hunkered down. But anyway we are taking the time for more calmer mealtimes and comfort meals and I been putting my cooking skills to the test

I eat a lot of sweet potato fries w/ apple vinegar, work out for 4hrs everyday and take 5000 vitamin D. Being a type 1 diabetic I don't have a choice.

Reactions: Blastingstarfish
We are what we eat. Food is one of the most singularly important factors in overall health. The food we eat literally becomes who we are, and influences our physical, mental, and even emotional well-being. A poor diet has been proven as a cause of conditions such as hypertension, heart and blood vessel diseases, obesity, and diabetes. While nutritious food choices will not only contribute to optimal brain health but can actually be a tool for supporting and even improving cognition. That is why there is a saying that goes "what we eat is what we become." So what are you eating right now guys?

Blastingstarfish said:
"what we eat is what we become." So what are you eating right now guys?
Crackers 🤡

Back