How to keep a home from smelling when someone uses adult diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddymws

Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this. A little bit of back story. I've been with my girl for a lil over 5 years now; about year 3 or so, she confessed she was into the adult baby stuff and at first I was very taken aback; I'd honestly never heard of it but I researched a bit and I told her it's all good. She's had incontinence issues for many years, doctors have run test after test and can't find a solid solution so she sometimes wears diapers. Anyways, my question is this because she'd like to wear them more on a full time basis. I can find information on keeping a home smelling good when you have a baby in the house but can't find much information on how to keep the home from smelling like urine or what not, for adult babies. So this may be a silly question but considering how much of a neat freak I am; I'd like to make sure when we live together, that the house doesn't have that baby pee smell. If anyone has any suggestions on what they do to keep their home smelling good (without using chemical based products as I'm very against those) I'd be very appreciative.

Thank you

Reactions: jonny77
Hi, Daddymws.
There actually isn't much you need to do. Most of the higher-tier adult diapers keep in smells very well, though they'll eventually stink things up if they're left out too long.

What I would do is tell her that she should always dispose of her used diapers promptly, preferrably in a plastic grocery bag or in adult diaper disposal bags you can get online, which control odor better.
Another thing I would do is discourage her from messing (#2) in her diapers, if she has decent bowel control. If she follows through, this will help tremendously with odor control.
And lastly, I would encourage her to wear plastic pants over her diaper. These generally keep bad smells under wraps and they catch diaper leaks well. I think.
With that, just add some air freshener/scented candles and you're good to go.

I hope this helps. Also, thank you for being so accepting of her being ABDL. It's not often we someone like this.

Or better yet have her get a large capacity adult diaper pail. Make sure she changes before her diapers get too stinky, and promptly disposes them in the pail.

I've done this for decades and never have a problem with stinky diapers or urine smell (as noted when others visit).

I share an apartment with a friend and always manage to avoid bad smells. I have bowel incontinence and bladder incontinence. Still manage the smell well. The abena m4 and plastic plants work well for keeping the smell in. And changing fast and cleaning up thoroughly. Disposing them properly is also important.

It's pretty much the same for adult diapers as baby diapers......... it's all about keeping everything clean

Make sure that the disposal itself is sanitary and that the discarded diapers are always put into the same room. If there is a closet that you can live without, it may be best to end up using that one with some kind of scent enhancer like those cone-like air freshener things. Dispose when the designated bag is full.
I have to put up with this right now in my living situation. I keep my used diapers in a closet in my room as it's the only one my roommate has a 0% chance of randomly looking in. The scent only starts to poke through the door after about three days because I don't have a scent enhancing cone thing, so with one would probably last longer.

Thanks everyone for your insights; I am grateful :) will put these ideas to good use.

I have a trashcan with a lid for my used diapers in the master bathroom. That tends to do a really good job at keeping smells contained, I only need to empty it once a week. I know it works rather well, we had a lot of people over a few months ago for my daughter's wedding and nobody noticed any smell at all.

thank you :) good to get other people's feedback on something like this.

its all about having an area for your used diapers, I'd also advise double bagging them.

what I do double the nappy bag then put in the black bin no problem and if I have accident i carry can of anti-perspirant spray so when change a pad give quick squirt ,

I use Febreeze plastic garbage bags which I line a kitchen sized metal garbage container. The Febreeze counters the smells and works very well.

My house doesn't smell and i'm in diapers. My 20 month old son is still in diapers too.

We share a diaper pale, basically an average sized kitchen trash can kept in his room. I only suffer from urinary incontinence so no issue with giant man dumps stinking up the place. for my son's poopy diapers, we put them in scented doggy poo bags. We empty the diaper pail roughly 2x per week. There's a glade plug in near it.

I don't personally smell bc I keep it all trimmed up down there and practice good hygiene. I shower 2x per day, morning and before bed and whenever I change my diaper I clean up with wipes which neutralize the urine smell. I use good barrier creams (no powder). Walking in my house you'd never know anyone wears diapers let alone a baby and his dad.

Odor control really isn't hard, though when the diaper pail gets real full it does start to smell a bit in my son's room but any smell goes right away as soon as you empty the pail.

One thing is disposal - and there's been some good advice here. Another is when wearing. I suggest good quality plastic pants (preferably bloomers) that completely cover the diaper. As mentioned bedore, plastic pants do not offer any real leak protection, but they are effective in odour control.

thanks so much everyone; really appreciate all the great ideas.

I'm having a hard time seeing how the house is going to be smelly if you watch out for sources of smell. Pee is going to smell when it leaks out onto clothes or furniture that doesn't get cleaned. Also, concentrated pee smells quite a lot more, so drinking enough water will help, along with less or no coffee. When you have babies, any smell tends to come from the overall experience...they pee a lot and may leak, they puke a lot, they spill and destroy everything (love being a parent, just pointing out the obvious here). My kids beds smelled like pee until they were potty trained because they would end up leaking at night. I don't OCD on that kind of thing, so I didn't change the sheets every time something happened and it would dry and then have some odor. Also, baby diapers are clothlike and those don't contain smell really at all. I would say plastic backed and PUL or plastic pants over them would do it. Of course, at that point, I guess you could do cloth-like.

For an adult, I think if you just bag up every diaper and you aren't leaking very often, then there should be no problem at all. Why do nursing homes smell like pee? Things may get neglected to some degree. Also, the older you get the less you care what anyone thinks (or smells) and as vision and the body declines, things just don't get taken care of like they should.

I searched and searched for an 8 gallon bag that was black and thick so I could bag mine and put them directly in the outside can, or sometimes the kitchen can. I don't want the neighbors to see if the outside can blows over or while things are falling into the garbage truck. I found these and have ordered a few times. They are big enough to be able to tie the bag off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RFRDO4/

It's awesome of you to support her in this.

Vinylfeet said:
I'm having a hard time seeing how the house is going to be smelly if you watch out for sources of smell.

This is what it boils down to. If you're a dirty person with bad hygiene then your house will smell. If you're a clean and tidy person, it won't.

Hey, I keep a bin in the corner of a spare room and line it with a black sack. I empty it every few days and everything's good. Black sack can be tied up, put in the rubbish bin, and makes sure things don't fall out when the bin is collected.

Some incontinence products smell worse that others both when wearing and once you bin it. Bagging them helps. But as MikeJames says above, if you're generally clean, you'll notice any smells when they occur and clear the source away. It's very apparent when you enter a room where the bin is due to be emptied. You don't just miss that smell - it's pretty offensive if left.

Repeating others here, but it's true that what you eat and drink matters too; stronger pee smells worse so drink plenty of water.

Makes only a little difference; but I also find that wrapping up two-tab plastic backed products is useful; you can roll the soiled area towards the back that is likely clean; then use the "spare" tapes assuming you've not used them to wrap it all up into a tight little parcel.

Can't speak for number two accidents.

I bag mine in plastic bags I get on line - they are cheap and usually called "vest top bags" and are the kind pet stores sell bird seed in - or other loose items. These are better than plastic bags groceries come in because they are waterproof - I have seen them used for bringing aquarium fish home before now- but wouldn't advise it. Grocery bags have holes ot help prevent children suffocating if they put them over their head. They are also easy to tie with a good strong knot.. If left for days they do smell, but by then I have taken them to a outside wheelie bin.

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTIC-V...hash=item2ee53cd817:m:mlNznrVeytd4z94wBGykhmA

Beware - some people sell small quantities on Amazon for inflated prices as "incontinence disposal bags" - but they are the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I bag mine in plastic bags I get on line - they are cheap and usually called "vest top bags" and are the kind pet stores sell bird seed in - or other loose items. These are better than plastic bags groceries come in because they are waterproof - I have seen them used for bringing aquarium fish home before now- but wouldn't advise it. Grocery bags have holes ot help prevent children suffocating if they put them over their head. They vest top bags are also easy to tie with a good strong knot.. If left for days they do smell, but by then I have taken them to a outside wheelie bin.

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTIC-V...hash=item2ee53cd817:m:mlNznrVeytd4z94wBGykhmA

Beware - some people sell small quantities on Amazon for inflated prices as "incontinence disposal bags" - but they are the same thing.

I would suggest air freshener and also spray some vinegar into the diaper bin she uses. That will greatly reduce and alleviate any smells or amnonia build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back