How to deal with wicking/compression leaks?

IWANTHOTDOG

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'm not even sure what type of leak this is, but when I get small leaks in the area where my bum is pressed against the chair. It seems to happen even when the diaper isnt fully used which is kind of annoying. What type of diaper cover would help with this?

EDIT: I realized I should of posted this in the diaper subforum instead

EDIT#2: Would it be correct to say that this simply means I'm due for a change? It seems diaper covers arent the right solution for disposables.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadianfalls, newAB43 and dllovergirl83
could be a couple things...

But no matter the cause, try this, put a pair of underwear (cotton/absorbent) over the diaper then a diaper cover.

Yes a diaper cover alone usually doesnt do much, as nowhere for the moisture/liquid to go...I put on a pair of regular underwear over diaper and then a big cover, must cover the underwear else it will just wick through...

Usually works for the minor leaks.

• Love
Reactions: DinoFrant, DLmikey and Jorelaxed
IWANTHOTDOG said:
I'm not even sure what type of leak this is, but when I get small leaks in the area where my bum is pressed against the chair. It seems to happen even when the diaper isnt fully used which is kind of annoying. What type of diaper cover would help with this?

EDIT#2: Would it be correct to say that this simply means I'm due for a change? It seems diaper covers arent the right solution for disposables.
i sit on a donut to help allow the pee to move back instead of the block a chair does creating a big front bulge. . I don’t no 2 in diapers. i try to wet the diaper as far as it will allow without a leak but this means small slow pees to allow the diaper absorb. it as far as no leaks even the highest capacity will leak if the pee cant go can go snywhere and there is no absorption left and the forward is full. Ive had to change my pants and shirts multiple times. Dipaer covers help.

Reactions: Jorelaxed
Bigbabybret said:
could be a couple things...

But no matter the cause, try this, put a pair of underwear (cotton/absorbent) over the diaper then a diaper cover.

Yes a diaper cover alone usually doesnt do much, as nowhere for the moisture/liquid to go...I put on a pair of regular underwear over diaper and then a big cover, must cover the underwear else it will just wick through...

Usually works for the minor leaks.
That’s exactly what I often do. 👍

Reactions: cantwait
The undewear within the diaper cover and over the diaper does work, I do that when I know I won't be able to change for many hours

Last edited:
Reactions: DLmikey and DinoFrant
I wear a pair of boxer briefs over the top of my diaper, and then a Gary were active brief over the top of that. This is been the best combination I have found so far.

Reactions: DLmikey
Onesies help. If you can find one with rubber on the interior, even better. Cloth edges will catch small leaks.

It doesn't mean it's time to change. Diapers aren't perfect, some leaks will just keep happening despite what you do. Gotta live with them. Alternatively, use boosters or change more frequently than you have to. There's no getting around it without accepting that leaks happen, and they happen a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: newAB43 and Jorelaxed
Canadianfalls said:
Onesies help. If you can find one with rubber on the interior, even better. Cloth edges will catch small leaks.

It doesn't mean it's time to change. Diapers aren't perfect, some leaks will just keep happening despite what you do. Gotta love with them. Alternatively, use boosters or change more frequently than you have to. There's no getting around it without accepting that leaks happen, and they happen a lot.
Yikes!!! Comes with the comfy goodness of being padded!

IWANTHOTDOG said:

If you flood your diaper while sitting this can happen. Basically your butt blocks the pee so it fills up between your legs with nowhere to go, and overflows the corners of the leak guards. I usually lift my butt slightly or lie back when wetting. This lets me use the back of the diaper without leaking.

Also onesies help to keep the diaper fitting snug. Plus I usually sit on one of those Rearz bed/change pads while diapered to protect the furniture from leaks. No matter what you're wearing you're bound to have a leak at some point. It's best to be prepared!

Reactions: DinoFrant and newAB43
LilPaddedBunny said:
If you flood your diaper while sitting this can happen. Basically your butt blocks the pee so it fills up between your legs with nowhere to go, and overflows the corners of the leak guards. I usually lift my butt slightly or lie back when wetting. This lets me use the back of the diaper without leaking.

Also onesies help to keep the diaper fitting snug. Plus I usually sit on one of those Rearz bed/change pads while diapered to protect the furniture from leaks. No matter what you're wearing you're bound to have a leak at some point. It's best to be prepared!
I definitely use my rearz change pad to protect against night time leaks in conjunction with a waterproof mattress cover

IWANTHOTDOG said:
I'm not even sure what type of leak this is
It happens to almost everyone. Quite a few have affectionately named it the butt leak. LoL

The reason for these leaks is all the padding in the wings. It creates a gap that fluids can flow through and out of the diaper where there is no elastic holding the waterproof layer close to the skin to prevent this. I managed to figure out a way to modify adult diapers to be more like a baby diaper and it worked. I was able to sit and stay seated longer before leaking. And used a lot more of the padding in the back. Yup! Link again!

Reactions: Canadianfalls, newAB43 and DinoFrant
These leaks are indeed anoying because you already feel uncomfortable whilst changing is still not practical (cost-effective). Also thanks to these leaks I recently noted that I had accomplished peeing on every available seat in my apartment, lol...

I sit on disposable underpads when I´m at home, and I started wearing them as pre-folded diapers between my regular diaper and the plastic pants when I´m out... I haven´t tried wearing cotton underwear instead, but thanks @Bigbabybret and @Jorelaxed for the tip!

Reactions: wetaccident, Jorelaxed and newAB43
newAB43 said:
I definitely use my rearz change pad to protect against night time leaks in conjunction with a waterproof mattress cover
Me too. The mattress cover I have is quilted on top, but a solid sheet of vinyl on the back so it's completely waterproof. That combined with the change pad means I can wet my diaper with no worries! If the change pad gets wet I just toss it in the laundry and there's no cleanup.

Reactions: newAB43
Mi
LilPaddedBunny said:
Me too. The mattress cover I have is quilted on top, but a solid sheet of vinyl on the back so it's completely waterproof. That combined with the change pad means I can wet my diaper with no worries! If the change pad gets wet I just toss it in the laundry and there's no cleanup.
Mine is the same, rewash and ready to go, so, when my cloth backed leaks, almost every night, I have no worries!

Joediaper said:
It happens to almost everyone. Quite a few have affectionately named it the butt leak. LoL

The reason for these leaks is all the padding in the wings. It creates a gap that fluids can flow through and out of the diaper where there is no elastic holding the waterproof layer close to the skin to prevent this. I managed to figure out a way to modify adult diapers to be more like a baby diaper and it worked. I was able to sit and stay seated longer before leaking. And used a lot more of the padding in the back. Yup! Link again!

I think the molicare premium elastic is designed like that.

Reactions: Joediaper
IWANTHOTDOG said:
I think the molicare premium elastic is designed like that.
Not really. It is better than most but the elastics are still impeded by the padding in the back. Add to that the very slow absorbing SAP in the Molicare and you actually get leaks sooner in them while sitting than a properly fluffed, non modified BetterDry/Crinklz. I even have better results with Seni Quatro than the Molicare even though the Molicare has the potential to hold more.

• Sad
Reactions: Canadianfalls and newAB43
I don't know what kind of diaper your wearing but the Northshore mega max hasn't let me down yet. Maybe you just need to change after a wetting?

Reactions: Jorelaxed and newAB43
Even the Mega Max has it's short comings. Especially for heavy night wetters. If you don't mind changing a couple times a day and once during the night it's no biggie. That can get expensive though. And changing in the middle of the night can be very disruptive and make the next morning difficult to endure.

Reactions: ChrisChris, Canadianfalls and Jorelaxed
I wear a cloth diaper over mine

Last edited:
Back