FudgedInLuvs

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Other
Good morning and happy Monday everyone!

Well. I've hit that point. Family and I have rescheduled a vacation (for the third time) and I have accepted that, anymore, I need to travel with a few diapers to manage my issues at night, as while I cannot avoid them I can at least predict them and prevent myself from sleeping in wet sheets or needing to do laundry. Recent trips, pre-COVID, I have been taking a few diapers with me, but it has been far away from a real diaper bag. I could use some help on how to assemble one, and I feel weird having on draw on what little I can remember of being in diapers as a baby to combat my current situation. I don't know what all I need and I am too embarrassed to ask my mother about what she used to do. So far I do have an OXO "tot on the go portable wipes dispenser", I will be ordering a diaper bag dispenser (and some Munchkin bags), and naturally I have diapers (Goodnites and Luvs, and a set of ConvetUps). I keep my issues secret, so I am trying to be minimalistic in order to be discrete. I am curious:

Is there anything else that a diaper bag requires, or is at least nice to have on hand?

How do you choose how many diapers to take with you when night time issues are not a nightly event?

Travel. How do you travel discretely with your kit, especially with air travel? Do you keep diapers in a ziplock in your checked baggage along with everything else, or do you carry it on, and if you carry on has security ever exposed you?

I normally a small rucksack which contains spare, nappies, nappy rash/barrier cream, either washable or disposable bed pads (in case of leaks), wet wipes for a quick change, nappy sacks for wet nappies. Depending how long you are going away for and assuming it's only for night time use then allow 2 nappies per night just in case.
Either put it in with your main luggage or carry it on the plane, s you won't be wearing when you go through security it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: mommysgirlthing and FudgedInLuvs
I only use a diaper bag for carrying supplies during the day. It contains several spare diapers, some wipes, and that's it. That's all I routinely use for daytime changes.

For night, I wouldn't bother making up a diaper bag. Just put your diapers in whichever bag you pajamas are packed in, and change into and out of your PJs on the bathroom.

I would suggest carrying at least a couple of spare diapers in your carry-on luggage for air travel, in case your luggage gets lost. It saves you having to run out to buy diapers at your destination. If you're not wearing during the trip, you don't need to take wipes, etc. in your carry-on.

Reactions: FudgedInLuvs
PCBaby said:
I normally a small rucksack which contains spare, nappies, nappy rash/barrier cream, either washable or disposable bed pads (in case of leaks), wet wipes for a quick change, nappy sacks for wet nappies. Depending how long you are going away for and assuming it's only for night time use then allow 2 nappies per night just in case.
Either put it in with your main luggage or carry it on the plane, s you won't be wearing when you go through security it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you! Should be about a week long if we get to go (Maui!) I will look into a Rearz bed pad (been looking at the Rebel one for some time) as that seems like a great idea for an extra barrier. Had my issues catch up with me on 3 nights during a 10 day trip to Oahu, I am glad I was hydrated to avoid staining (still did laundry out of courtesy) but I was so embarrassed that it happened, on vacation in someone's rental when there would have been a simple way to have avoided the issue all together. That's about when I started to carry a few Goodnites with me for weekend/holiday trips around home. Think the bulk, I'll keep with my main luggage (can hide some things in my shave kit, and I'll keep diapers in a ziplock for humidity concerns) and continue with my few Goodnites in my backpack just in case the baggage doesn't make it. Been to the Hawaiian islands many times, never lost my luggage there, it has always been the return flight!

ltaluv said:
I only use a diaper bag for carrying supplies during the day. It contains several spare diapers, some wipes, and that's it. That's all I routinely use for daytime changes.

For night, I wouldn't bother making up a diaper bag. Just put your diapers in whichever bag you pajamas are packed in, and change into and out of your PJs on the bathroom.

I would suggest carrying at least a couple of spare diapers in your carry-on luggage for air travel, in case your luggage gets lost. It saves you having to run out to buy diapers at your destination. If you're not wearing during the trip, you don't need to take wipes, etc. in your carry-on.

Appreciate the advice! A ziplock with some in checked baggage along with bags and wipes, and a few Goodnites in my carry on/backpack. I don't have day time issues, so the carry on will be minimal/back up for lost luggage (see first response) but it would save buying anything, as that would be very tedious with one family member I'll be with (and doesn't know), at least the other understands. Night time, well, I sleep in the natural state, but if I add in that bed pad...or take some light shorts that'll keep me covered!

this is simple. just use either a computer bag or backpack to be discreet

When we travel I use the Parents Choice disposable bed pad (2 a night to get more coverage) this way if you leak you simply dispose of the pads and you dont have to deal with a wet reusable pad.

I would also recommend using premium diapers like Betterdry as they will be more absorbent and give you more coverage then smaller diapers but if your current diaper selection works for you then thats great having a diaper you can trust make it less stressful
I would take 2 diapers for each night as a just incase its better to be over stocked then run out due to a defective diaper or you use more diapers then planned.

If you dont need to carry supplies with you when you are out and about for the day keeping your supplies in your suitcase may be easier, you could also pack your diapers in ziplock bags (one diaper per bag) to keep them clean and to use for disposal of the used diaper.

but a backpack works great as a diaper bag or you can get a skip-hop sling bag (Camo design) if you need to carry a few diapers with you during the day its what I use its light weight and no one can tell its a diaper bag

Reactions: FudgedInLuvs and Ebabyboy12
Rob110 said:
When we travel I use the Parents Choice disposable bed pad (2 a night to get more coverage) this way if you leak you simply dispose of the pads and you dont have to deal with a wet reusable pad.

I would also recommend using premium diapers like Betterdry as they will be more absorbent and give you more coverage then smaller diapers but if your current diaper selection works for you then thats great having a diaper you can trust make it less stressful
I would take 2 diapers for each night as a just incase its better to be over stocked then run out due to a defective diaper or you use more diapers then planned.

If you dont need to carry supplies with you when you are out and about for the day keeping your supplies in your suitcase may be easier, you could also pack your diapers in ziplock bags (one diaper per bag) to keep them clean and to use for disposal of the used diaper.

but a backpack works great as a diaper bag or you can get a skip-hop sling bag (Camo design) if you need to carry a few diapers with you during the day its what I use its light weight and no one can tell its a diaper bag

Like the idea of the disposable bed pads! Did not think of that/also looking for an excuse to order the Rebel bed pad from Rearz.

Yeah, my current brands have never let me down, I have never once leaked with them and it's also nice having brands that are readily available if the worst case should happen (luggage doesn't make it, or I run out with a bad streak) and two different styles, as my issues effect my physiology in distinct ways where both have their respective roles. Though I might change to Luvs full time

Suitcase is sounding like the best way to go, and honestly, I've never had an issue with my luggage not making it to the island, if they get lost it's always the return flight and I have some stock at home! Think I could fit a large ziplock of both Luvs and Goodnites in my suitcase, with more ziplocks rolled up/rubber banded together for disposal, diaper bag dispenser and travel wipe container. For discretion might chose my personal small suitcase I take on the plane and have checked at the gate, my other suitcase contains my dive/snorkeling equipment (fins take up so much space!)

I'll keep that bag in mind! When the pandemic ever ends, I love going out, but sometimes that can mean not going back home for the night, it would be a relief to have a small stash of supplies for short term travel.

I always have more stuff starting out than on the return. Right? If you need an extra bag for diapers, supplies, consider a duffle-style bag that can be rolled up and stored in your main luggage.

For day trips, a hydration backpack works great; common accoutrement w tourists. Great thing is if you don’t need the water, remove the bladder for more storage.

Enjoy the trip.

Reactions: FudgedInLuvs and mommysgirlthing
daylight said:
I always have more stuff starting out than on the return. Right? If you need an extra bag for diapers, supplies, consider a duffle-style bag that can be rolled up and stored in your main luggage.

For day trips, a hydration backpack works great; common accoutrement w tourists. Great thing is if you don’t need the water, remove the bladder for more storage.

Enjoy the trip.

Good tip, thought of the perfect bag that I have in the basement, it's a zippered bag for a dive regulator (which I don't own yet) that came in a 3 set package in the case for my mask!

I've gone to ball games carrying a small package of wipes ane or two diapers in a fanny pack. Otherwise I use a small black knapsack. It really is a diaper bag, but it looks innocuous enough.

Back