How the hell do you survive the summer heat without a/c??

Topex said:
There are lots of real solutions that people have mentioned. Tons of people around the world survive without AC and I know many students who are my age whose sublets have no AC and even in 35-40°C weather they manage to do fine
If the temperature is more than 24°C I'm simply out of energy, so I don't seen any real solutions in the precedent post. But surely If the person are able to support more than 24°C good for them personally I'm not.

Last edited:
trysexiea said:
Personally because I use the A/C to create Cold in the summer and create heat in the winter, the investment is totally justified :) some A/C are reversible.
Well I am kinda old School on heating. I use an old Fashion Firebox for heating. It requires wood to burn and nice to look at.
trysexiea said:
Yes effectively, so it's very useful surly Haha
Swamp coolers for me equal Muggy and when you live in the Valley in California. When temps can get around 105f 110f. When you go in a house with a Swamp cooler you just sweat a lot.

Reactions: daddyb
Lestat said:
Well I am kinda old School on heating. I use an old Fashion Firebox for heating. It requires wood to burn and nice to look at.
Swamp coolers for me equal Muggy and when you live in the Valley in California. When temps can get around 105f 110f. When you go in a house with a Swamp cooler you just sweat a lot.
Yes swamp cooler is a joke Haha

trysexiea said:
If the temperature is more than 24°C I'm simply out of energy, so I don't seen any real solutions in the precedent post. But surely If the person are able to support more than 24°C good for them personally I'm not.

No way! I'm the complete opposite! Less than 24° and I'm shivering! I start to get a bit too warm around 35°, but I'd rather it was 40+ than freezing!

tiny said:
No way! I'm the complete opposite! Less than 24° and I'm shivering! I start to get a bit too warm around 35°, but I'd rather it was 40+ than freezing!
To 21°C I have too cold and at 24°C I have too warm, but anyway is more simple to create heat than create cold.

CodyBaby said:
What 125$ a month extra just to run a A/C unit either you have a full big house or damn your electricity cost an arm and a leg compared to what we have here, without A/C during summer my bills were around 75-80$ for 2 months (between 58 and 63 days, they have a very weird system, we don't receive a bill every month) and with my A/C running this goes up to around 100-115$ for 2 months, I'm in an apt a 3 1/2 to be exact.

Power here is about $0.19 per kwhr and I run a 13,500BTU window unit that cools a 1000sqft house, in July and August it almost never shuts off. My summer power bills peak at near $200.00 and drop to $65.00 in the spring and fall raising to $130.00 in the winter running my two furnaces.

I actually turned the heating on last night. In June. Apparently summer is coming next week some time... :-/

Nam Repaid said:
Power here is about $0.19 per kwhr and I run a 13,500BTU window unit that cools a 1000sqft house, in July and August it almost never shuts off. My summer power bills peak at near $200.00 and drop to $65.00 in the spring and fall raising to $130.00 in the winter running my two furnaces.
Depending on the climate but 13.5k is shy of the 20k minimum required to cool the area. Like you said it has to run constantly which reduces its effectiveness to cool when it doesn’t get a chance to take a pause, to put it simply. Another unit may initially cost more but once the area is cooled and moisture pulled out of the house the units can turn off.

Reactions: trysexiea
Never mind asking how people in the past used to live without ac, how did people a generation or two farther back manage to deal with the heat in the absence of even electric fans?😫

Illinoise said:
Never mind asking how people in the past used to live without ac, how did people a generation or two farther back manage to deal with the heat in the absence of even electric fans?😫
You know Hand Fans.

The
Illinoise said:
They also built the homes with this in mind and had lots of windows to collect a good breeze through the house. Today they don’t practice this much anymore and do not pay attention to things like wind direction and which side gets the most sun. We just build a home and slap windows on wherever looks good.

Cities are a little hotter with all the concrete and asphalt absorbing the suns heat and making it hotter. We’ve cut down so many trees that provide shade and help cool the air.

It was still hot but they just dealt with it. You don’t see women having fainting spells quite as often as they did from heat exhaustion.

Soak in a cool bath

I found out about redneck ACs. You can make your own. You just need a bunch of bottled water, a Styrofoam cooler, some square fan and some pipe and you cut holes in the cooler and put the pipe at the bottom where the hole is and put the fan on top and make you use measure first and mark it with a pen and cut open with a knife. Then you put the frozen bottled water in it and plug in the fan and turn on. Once melted, you can refreeze the bottled water and put more bottled water in there. Obviously you need to allow the water to drip into something.

Illinoise said:

Lot of people died in the past too from heat strokes. I am pretty sure people often waded in the water or were barely clothed.

I have a higher tolerance for the heat, than I do for the cold, but being a fair-skinned redhead, I have an even lower tolerance for sunburn, so I keep myself fully covered while out and about, but when I'm at home and I REALLY feel the heat, I lay in the bathtub, up to my neck in warm water at first, (I'm really temperature sensitive) but then add some cold water to gradually lower the temperature. (Not freezing, but just enough to cool me down.)

Trevor said:
Last year was the first year I didn't. Seattle is only supposed to have about a week's worth (generally spaced out) of uncomfortably warm weather over the summer but the days keep adding and last year I broke down and got a window unit. I took it out in the fall and haven't had the need to put it back yet. I'll be quite happy if it isn't needed.
Wee bit further 'South' of ya! (Oregon, E/SE o' Salem).
I was amazed when I first arrived in Oregon, from California. That Summer, the temps in the Williamette Valley hit 105,6,7 and STAYED there for over a week. I was like, "WTF?! I thought I left THIS behind?!"
We rarely hit those temps, thank God, but when we do, I sure's hell feel it more, now (been here for over a decade).
I live in the foothills of the Cascades, and my little 'Home' is parked under a large equipment shed (so, I'm in the 'Shade'). I only suffer for maybe 6 weeks each year, but the nights always cool-down.

Now, going out into the world, during the Summer, wearing diapers?

Hell on earth.

I got serious pulmonar issue due AAC of RENFE train. I've a car without AAC (old trash,) same like at my home. And I live last 15 years in Spain, mostly in part south an southeast. Very hot clima. Here in Valencia normal now around 40 and worse places exist - like Sevilla, frequently near to 50 DGC.

Last edited:
the only thing i run is a swamp cooler and have never had any problems with computers..
i live in a motor home and have two AC units on the roof but they cost $100+ a month just to run.
my swamp cooler cost about $30 a month to run.

Earthquakes yes since i live in Ridgecrest calif

Back