How the hell do you survive the summer heat without a/c??

trysexiea

Mysterious
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
There are lots of real solutions that people have mentioned. Tons of people around the world survive without AC and I know many students who are my age whose sublets have no AC and even in 35-40°C weather they manage to do fine
If the temperature is more than 24°C I'm simply out of energy, so I don't seen any real solutions in the precedent post. But surely If the person are able to support more than 24°C good for them personally I'm not.

Last edited:

Lestat

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Personally because I use the A/C to create Cold in the summer and create heat in the winter, the investment is totally justified :) some A/C are reversible.
Well I am kinda old School on heating. I use an old Fashion Firebox for heating. It requires wood to burn and nice to look at.
Yes effectively, so it's very useful surly Haha
Swamp coolers for me equal Muggy and when you live in the Valley in California. When temps can get around 105f 110f. When you go in a house with a Swamp cooler you just sweat a lot.

trysexiea

Mysterious
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well I am kinda old School on heating. I use an old Fashion Firebox for heating. It requires wood to burn and nice to look at.
Swamp coolers for me equal Muggy and when you live in the Valley in California. When temps can get around 105f 110f. When you go in a house with a Swamp cooler you just sweat a lot.
Yes swamp cooler is a joke Haha

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
If the temperature is more than 24°C I'm simply out of energy, so I don't seen any real solutions in the precedent post. But surely If the person are able to support more than 24°C good for them personally I'm not.
No way! I'm the complete opposite! Less than 24° and I'm shivering! I start to get a bit too warm around 35°, but I'd rather it was 40+ than freezing!

trysexiea

Mysterious
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
No way! I'm the complete opposite! Less than 24° and I'm shivering! I start to get a bit too warm around 35°, but I'd rather it was 40+ than freezing!
To 21°C I have too cold and at 24°C I have too warm, but anyway is more simple to create heat than create cold.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
What 125$ a month extra just to run a A/C unit either you have a full big house or damn your electricity cost an arm and a leg compared to what we have here, without A/C during summer my bills were around 75-80$ for 2 months (between 58 and 63 days, they have a very weird system, we don't receive a bill every month) and with my A/C running this goes up to around 100-115$ for 2 months, I'm in an apt a 3 1/2 to be exact.
Power here is about $0.19 per kwhr and I run a 13,500BTU window unit that cools a 1000sqft house, in July and August it almost never shuts off. My summer power bills peak at near $200.00 and drop to $65.00 in the spring and fall raising to $130.00 in the winter running my two furnaces.

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
I actually turned the heating on last night. In June. Apparently summer is coming next week some time... :-/

daddyb

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Power here is about $0.19 per kwhr and I run a 13,500BTU window unit that cools a 1000sqft house, in July and August it almost never shuts off. My summer power bills peak at near $200.00 and drop to $65.00 in the spring and fall raising to $130.00 in the winter running my two furnaces.
Depending on the climate but 13.5k is shy of the 20k minimum required to cool the area. Like you said it has to run constantly which reduces its effectiveness to cool when it doesn’t get a chance to take a pause, to put it simply. Another unit may initially cost more but once the area is cooled and moisture pulled out of the house the units can turn off.

Illinoise

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Never mind asking how people in the past used to live without ac, how did people a generation or two farther back manage to deal with the heat in the absence of even electric fans?😫