How much Sugar do you consume in a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hello everyone.

I am in a group that is studying "mindful eating".

One of the things that we have done is watch the movie/documentary "Fed Up", which is about the food industry and the way they are literally causing significant health issues in our country (USA).

I suggest that if you have any inkling or concern of a weight issue or Diabetes that you watch this show. There was a couple of other documentaries that were suggested and they are to open for interpretation, but this one is fairly right on the button.

Anyway I am working on the reduced sugar challenge that they talk about in the film, and I am already seeing a big difference.

The recommended sugar intake by WHO is 6 teaspoons of sugar a day (about 30 grams). I have found "healthy snack" in a health food store and it had 13 grams per serving and there was 3 servings per pack (39 grams or 130%). The movie also explains why percentage of daily recommended amount of sugar is not listed.

My weight has been maintaining for the last 3 months (since I started this group) and I have been working to cut the sugar level down to just 50 grams a day for the last 5 days. I am already seeing the same effects that the people in the movie talked about.

I just thought I would share this with anyone who is interested.

Good luck if you try the challenge.
It is not easy and this is my second attempt. The "sugar garbage" is the easy food to fix and I was surprised when I started the first time. There was reasons I could not do it the first attempted, but it is making a difference and the grocery budget has not been that much effected by cutting back on the sugar.

Sulqy117

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Im not measuring my intake, but just recently I started only eating fruit, its not easy because of my massive sweet tooth. Im trying for quality more than quantity so I may have a bit of jelly here and there but NO soda.

Sarevok

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
It varies. I don't really keep track. Some days I knock out hundreds.

Eclectic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
The thought of figuring this out fills me with existential dread.

Me too. I am a sugar fiend. I try to get most my carbs through fruits and whole grains (complex carbs), but I love sweets.

daLira

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
The thought of figuring this out fills me with existential dread.
Sounds like you really have a sweet tooth.

But the same goes for me. Basically it's not the amount of sugar in my regular meals. I'm not even that much into too sweet things at all, except fruits and... well it comes down to the fact of eating a whole bar of chocolate or pack of gummibears sometimes, without noticing it until it's too late . Of course I feel anyway guilty afterwards, really really guilty! So I tend to skip a meal to hold my weight. But in hindsight that's also not that healthy since I'm missing a lot of nutrients then.

Something I should think about perhaps more often, but I could just not live without chocolate... as you know it's the same in raw masses as being in love. ;)

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I've tried to eliminate a lot of sugar from my diet. I switched from sugar in my coffee to Splenda. I enjoy eating ice cream, but I eat products from Weight Watchers or Skinny Cow. They taste quite good. My big downfall is the occasional cookie.

oreocookie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
There's very little sugar in my diet and no artificial sweeteners at all since I'm allergic to them. Sucks too since I'm a diabetic.

M

Marka

[...]The recommended sugar intake by WHO is 6 teaspoons of sugar a day (about 30 grams).[...]

I'd be lucky to hit 5 grams, or a teaspoon in two days...

You could try watching "Food Inc.", and "Fast Food Nation"... that'll pretty much run you off of just about everything else...

My concerns beyond GMO's, is the HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) Here's another one that I can't site properly now...but, basically... though compared with sugar... gram to gram on par calorie wise... something about the HFCS that may not produce a proper insulin response...

Well, this is from a blog, but maybe you can determine something useful about this... If I can find something more substantial in a scientific article... I'll let you know... It's been a few years since I was introduced to this theory (if it's not fact)... HFCS was in many food products until recently, and may still be for all I know...

My best,
-Marka

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'd be lucky to hit 5 grams, or a teaspoon in two days...

You could try watching "Food Inc.", and "Fast Food Nation"... that'll pretty much run you off of just about everything else...

My concerns beyond GMO's, is the HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) Here's another one that I can't site properly now...but, basically... though compared with sugar... gram to gram on par calorie wise... something about the HFCS that may not produce a proper insulin response...

Well, this is from a blog, but maybe you can determine something useful about this... If I can find something more substantial in a scientific article... I'll let you know... It's been a few years since I was introduced to this theory (if it's not fact)... HFCS was in many food products until recently, and may still be for all I know...

My best,
-Marka

Food Inc. was interesting but as a animal care technologist there is a lot in that show that are slanted towards Animal rights type arguments. I have not seen the other one. But I will say that Fed UP has a little more believable format. I have been involved in some of the company sponsored studies and did see evidence not published because it was contradictory to the funding sources believes.

The HFCS is part of the "sugar" that is listed in sugar, but they do not show the % of daily recommended content. I think it was Coke that if they did list the % sugar per can it is 225%.

The bottom line of the "fed up" program is that the big 10 manufactures are praying upon our children with a compound that is 8x more addictive then Cocaine.

L

littlelodgewrecker

if folks really want to get a grasp on the sugar they eat, wake-up!
it's in most of what's on the store shelves. caned veggies, bread, yogurt, Ketchup, soup, many breakfast cereal's and even the best granola.... and the list goes on.

so, you just drink coffee you say..... well, if your anything like me it's not the coffee, it's the junk you put in that coffee that adds up. with me it's got to be a grande latte' no less. so lets mosey on over to the StarBucks nutrition chart to find my latte' has 37 grams of carbohydrates.
http://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/nutrition?drink=all#view_control=nutrition

Oh, did i mention that if your going to count your sugar you need to look at your carbs too..... for an easy conversion, go here;
http://www.thecookandthecardiologis...slate_Carbs_into_the_sugar_theyll_become.html

which informs me that my grande latte' @ 37 carbs is killing me..... (9.25 teaspoons of sugar or about 45 grams). of course that includes the sugar in the milk and flavoring. if you are walking over to the condiment bar and dumping in a couple bags of that *yum yum* cane-sugar.... well your truly screwed, glued & tattooed dude!
i know better...... (grin)

well at least that is what i keep telling my self as i try very hard to watch the sugar in everything else i eat, and i mean everything.... just so i can indulge in the coffee habit i get so much pleasure from.
read the labels on everything. and reread them often as i have found food companies sometimes change ingredients out of the blue.

and for the very few of you who want to be post-op one day, think about this.... have you ever known a fixed kitty that didn't plump-up after the *fix*...... if you don't learn how to control your weight now, it'll be a real bitch latter girls (knowing smile).

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I don't think I eat much sugar. I drink my coffee black :) and don't eat sweets or chocolate that often (and never have ketchup or fizzy drinks).

There's probably a fair bit in my beer rations, though... and a bit of processed food, fruit, etc.

Frogsy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I am way over. I just did a nutrition assessment for a biology class and it said I eat like 150 grams sugar a day, and 113 grams of 'added sugar' a day. This is likely due to drinking coke once or twice a day. So I am going to cut that down to once every couple or few days. Hard to give up completely at this point! But yeah I am working on drinking more water now and cutting down on sweets. Major sweet tooth here.

L

littlelodgewrecker

I am way over. I just did a nutrition assessment for a biology class and it said I eat like 150 grams sugar a day, and 113 grams of 'added sugar' a day. This is likely due to drinking coke once or twice a day. So I am going to cut that down to once every couple or few days. Hard to give up completely at this point! But yeah I am working on drinking more water now and cutting down on sweets. Major sweet tooth here.
*diet-Coke*
(it's your friend....)

simple list of artificial sweaters and their relative safety concerns;
http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/artificial-sweetener-list.html

in-depth list of same.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_substitute

diet coke ingredients;
http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/brands/diet-coke.html

diet pepsi;
http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/Home/Product?formula=90501*09*07-01&form=RTD&size=20

and diet Dr pepper (i'm a pepper, your a pepper, wouldn't you like too be one too.....)
http://www.drpepper.com/text/products/dietdrpepper/nutrition/

PS; i personally like *Splenda* based sweeteners when i have to go diet on my latte'....

Last edited by a moderator:

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
*diet-Coke*
(it's your friend....)

Diet coke is not that good either. The artificial sweeteners cause the same metabolic issues that sugar does.

- - - Updated - - -

I have done quit a bit so far. I now have a jug of ice water with lemon and lime slices in it so I can get away from as much "stuff" as possible. There is over 250 names for sugar and the sugar substitutes that can cause the metabolic issues of sugar.

M

Marka

*diet-Coke*
(it's your friend....)

Aspartame is the most often used artificial sweetener in diet sodas...

Are there side effects of aspartame?

Though aspartame is frequently used in weight-control efforts, [highlight]there is evidence that it and other sugar substitutes can actually be addictive, increase body weight and lead to more intense food cravings.[/highlight]

The American Psychological Association defines addiction as a condition where a person must have a drug to avoid symptoms of withdrawal, either physical or psychological. In one analysis, H.J. Roberts, M.D., found 33 of 540 study participants to suffer from withdrawal symptoms upon ceasing consumption of aspartame. These 33 patients were consuming massive amounts of aspartame—up to 12 cans of soda or 20 packets of sweetener a day. Their symptoms included irritability, tension, nausea, tremors, sweating and extreme cravings during the withdrawal stages.

A paper published in the journal Neuroscience suggests this [highlight]aspartame addiction is possible because artificial sweeteners like aspartame do not affect the reward pathways of the brain in the way sugar does. We have an inherent craving for sweetness, the research says, that simply isn’t satisfied with aspartame. This fuels further cravings and “food seeking behavior,” which in turn can lead to weight gain. Also, because it is many times sweeter than sugar, aspartame essentially trains our brain to prefer sweeter foods.[/highlight]

Just please be careful... there are...in my estimation...no magic/silver bullets...

Remind me, to start my intended rant about ignoring the synergy of constituents when extracting or synthesizing various products for food and medicinal purposes...

We now return you to your regular program...
-Marka
------------added----------
Egor, hit the buzzer first...not sure if we are having the same concerns... seems though we both agree that diet-soda may not be the answer that you were hoping for...

Diet coke is not that good either.

KiwiBoi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I'm a bit of a sugar addict. However.

Usually I start the day with bowl of weet-bix and muesli, with low-fat milk (to drink as well, yes I know that's pretty juvenile :) ) topped with unsweetened Greek yoghurt.

I have an early lunch consisting of a sandwich, with margarine, marmite, homemade low-fat salami and Brie cheese, lettuce etc (whatever's in the fridge really) and finish that off with a combination of dried fruits and nuts, which satisfies my sugar craving whilst still filling me up.

Afternoon tea, if you can call it that, is fruit. Straight-up.

Dinner, is a home-made meal, NEVER with added sugar.

Dessert, fruit, or if I'm feeling particularly bad, perhaps some lolly cake (homemade with licorice allsorts, BEST THING EVER) or a yo-yo biscuit, or some dark chocolate (2 sq max).

I also cycle to uni at least twice a week, a round trip of about 20km involving 176 vertical metres climb, which is done over 1km length so it's pretty steep coming home... As well as that I run regularly, and hunt and fish for my meat, except chicken. Goat is a great meat, very lean and tastes just like lamb if slow-roasted. DO NOT eat the males/billies though, disgustingly stinky meat.

I weigh ~63kg (that's my absolute upper) and I'm 176cm, BMI of ~20.

What I'm saying is that you have to make sacrifices, but if there's one thing I've learned it's that spending more on better quality food that fills you up instead of eating tons of cheap crap, is the way to go. It's surprising how little food one actually needs, most people in Western society eat far more than is necessary. Also, if you want to feel full quickly eating unsalted nuts is a great way of going about it. I dislike peanuts personally, but I love cashews, walnuts, almonds and Brazil nuts.

Also, something to remember about aspartame is that it is a synthetic compound, created from the fusion of two amino acids and a methanol molecule, and as such it is metabolised back to these constituents in the body. Now methanol (or wood alcohol) is extremely toxic and can cause blindness and death in moderate doses. I don't know about you but I just limit my soft-drink intake and go for the full-sugar versions when I do have them, rather than risk potential brain and retinal damage by regularly consuming drinks with artificial sweeteners. Personally, and this is just anecdotal evidence here, but I find I enjoy soft drinks more when I have them less often. Kinda like how the first shot of heroin is always the best... I wouldn't know.

As well, there was a study published somewhere that found that sweet taste increases your appetite, regardless of whether it was from sugar or aspartame. Further to this, it has been discovered that aspartame consumption decreases adipocyte leptin production - this is a hormone that regulates appetite and a decrease in its concentration is positively correlated with an increased appetite.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.