How good is your diet?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Being IC, it's important keeping your diet controlled, especially with bowel movements. Obviously kids can get a little crazy about what they eat. When I was young I loved kid snacks and some fast food. My mom tried to limit what I ate but it really wasn't controlled. The results meant I wasn't "regular." My BM's came whenever it came out. Sometimes when I was sleeping but most of the time it was anytime. Morning, lunch time or during the day and evening. By the time I was early high school my doctor advised to a more controlled diet and he gave me tablets of chlorophyll (internal deodorants). Today my diet has been a lot more controlled.

For a example, I always have breakfast. When I was younger I'd have pop-tarts or cereal bar. Or maybe some regular cereal. Not really that good. Little fiber with limit nutrition. Now days I have a bowl of Total cereal with some berries or raisins. High in fiber and multigrain cereal with nutrients (and fiber being important). For lunch I might have whole wheat bread with some turkey. Again, full of fiber and protein. Dinner will always include a salad with romaine lettuce, cucumbers, onion, tomato and a few croutons with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Then with lean beef or chicken with a side with veggies. I finish it off with a glass with psyllium husk fiber before I go to bed.

I love to grill. Actually anytime of the year. Chicken and a good steak or some sea food (like salmon). Having a barbecue doesn't mean bad food. Simply add a salad and maybe grill some vegetables. Controlling my diet with nutritional foods and adding psyllium husk everyday makes me "regular." I rarely have BM accidents during the day. Most of the time I'm sleeping or the morning. As long as the fiber I use, my BM's are mostly solid (not actually firm) and makes going easier. No straining or pushing too hard. Hardly ever with loose stool. And one of the most important things (at least for me), I use chlorophyll daily.

How good is your diet? Do you have loose stool or maybe constipated? Or do you have that death smell? Clean up your diet and your BM accidents will be much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: sledder23
I actually want to be able to start a new diet. I been working on setting one up with hello fresh, but after trying one of the meals thanks to a friend who got it, I am second guessing, due to meat quality, just going back into a meatless diet and into a focused gardenia diet. Problem is though is that on my grocery day next week, i got a bunch going on, so I hope I dont just rush it.

Overall, I need to improve, as it is affecting my sleep.

To your point, I’ve changed my diet quite a bit and feel healthier and have much better gut health. Once in a blue moon will I have a bowel accident, but when I do, I’ve usually had a horrible food choice in the not too distant past.

sledder23 said:
To your point, I’ve changed my diet quite a bit and feel healthier and have much better gut health. Once in a blue moon will I have a bowel accident, but when I do, I’ve usually had a horrible food choice in the not too distant past.
As someone with IBS, having better gut health is important to me. What diet are you on?

Reactions: sledder23
BunBunDojo said:
just going back into a meatless diet and into a focused gardenia diet.
The key is a balance diet. If you stop meat you have to watch your protein. My brother doesn't eat meat but he always makes sure he has plenty of protein. I'm pretty healthy (aside my IC) and along with a good diet, daily physical activity is just as important.

• Love
Reactions: sledder23 and BunBunDojo
BunBunDojo said:
As someone with IBS, having better gut health is important to me. What diet are you on?
I keep a low sugar diet. Otherwise, I stay balanced with whole grain, lean meats (occasional red meat), low dairy, and plenty of fruits and vegetables. I also make sure I stay properly hydrated.

Reactions: BunBunDojo
As a diabetic and because of the meds+insulin, it is necessary for me to keep regular meals and to watch what I eat. Any carbohydrate results in blood sugars. But about the same time I became U-IC I was developing IBS-d. So now I must
  • avoid oily/greasy foods (like you might find BBQed)
  • avoid microwaved popcorn (due to oils)
  • avoid fast foods (especially hash browns!)
  • avoid cruciferous vegetables (especially cabbage/cole slaw)
  • avoid apples/sauce/juices (high on fructose)
  • avoid pears (high fructose)
  • avoid all hot and spicy foods
  • quit coffee (!)
Additionally, I eat yogurt and a bit of mild cheddar cheese each day for lunch to firm up the stool.

I learned the hard way that I can't drink my morning coffee and go out. 1-2 hours later the coffee has the effect of a forceful laxative that cannot be denied! :eek:

If I only eat red meat and some dairy. No sugar or carbohydrates (grains) or greens Im OK but it I eat grains or greens I have to be careful for the next few days. And definitely no vegetable oils

Both of us do try to eat healthy foods along with exercising every evening .

To be completely honest....my diet is awful

I have quite the caffeine addiction (monster energy basically owns me at this point). I try to eat vegetables but it just isn't really fun for me to eat them, nor do I often have the mental headspace to cook properly.

Most of my diet is well... It oscillates between fresh fruit and veg that I cut up and plate for myself like a fruit platter for breakfast. Or it's just me living off of yogurt and toast because that's all I can get myself out of bed to make. Or it's just me eating chocolate all day.

All in all, it's a very very very poor diet

Milianna said:
it's just me eating chocolate all day.
I'd like to join you...sorry, we know we can't live alone on chocolate. The rest you said isn't that bad. Yogurt (and toast), fruit and some veggies is pretty good. Just try some protein and you're good.

Reactions: sledder23 and Milianna
Back