How do you separate the $ aspect out of a hobby?

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Apparently there is this attitude in a certain community that it is wrong to have a money aspect involved with cards of a certain card game

To me, the very aspect that money was a thing to begin with means you cant separate the $ aspect out of a hobby

It's like if you take a Capitalistic Society, and you tell them one day "forget about the value everything has, just become a Communist, your stuff no longer belongs to just you, it belongs to everybody"

As long as $ is a part of the equation there is no removing it, unless you remove it from your interactions with other people and only trade; but let's be honest about how impractical that is when you dont live near a bunch of people you can trade with or shops you can trade with

And even if you trade with a Shop, they aren't in it for your convenience; they are for profit

If you trade with a person that isnt locally, you have an extra expense to mail your Card(s) out, which makes it less practical than just buying the cards you want (if that is a possibility)

Shops will want to give you probably 50% of a cards value, whereas selling that same card can get you 85% of its value (wherever you sell is gonna take out some kind of fees, typically near or above 15%)

Never mind Trading Cards are meant to have more desirable cards and less desirable ones

Having different Rarities is not an accident

It's done on purpose to distribute the more necessary, more common cards to everyone at a higher rate; whereas the less necessary (but stronger) cards are always much harder to get and result in much higher prices

Which in and of itself is a complex issue because the end value of that Rarest/Most Powerful card in the set can range in price by a lot

I understand high values leave some people out, but I work hard for my extra money

It is not my problem some people are less fortunate and some probably dont want to work extra hours or pick up a 2nd job for a hobby

But refusal to pay market price leads to them not getting that card they seem to want SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Badly

IMO if they can they need to PUT UP

If they cant they should SHUT UP and just enjoy the hobby for what they can afford to spend on it

Last edited:

DanielW

Est. Contributor
Role
Little, Incontinent, Other, Private
Personally, I really don't mind spending money on a hobby. A hobby is a special interest that brings enjoyment. If I feel I have to spend too mich money or time on it, or it causes me stress or anxiety, its no longer a hobby really (or at least, not the hobby for me) Soetimes I just have to take a step back and try something new. I'll often do that and come back to it later when I have the time, money and energy to persue it again.

There are plenty of times it just becomes too much of a chore and the joy goes out of it.

I do that with a lot of my collections...sometimes I sell them off (at a discount - enough to be rid of all but maybe 1 or 2 special pieces) and either start someting new, or just bank the cash from the sale. I never think of the money or time I put in in a literal sense, because it also had entertainment value. I can't put an accurate value on that.

Last edited:

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Who really cares if people want to rip on others for their hobbies or collections. Haters will hate and everyone has their own opinion what they think is wroth it or a waste of money. Sure there is a difference between collecting and hoarding. Some people may collect pacifiers and some may collect old diapers but to me that would be a waste of space but to some people they enjoy it and they don't find it to be a waste of space.

I say if your hobby is causing you distress making you financially unstable because you would rather spend money on your collections or hobby than on bills first and your health or you can't get employment because your hobby is more important, then people have a right to be negative about it. Or if your hobby makes you be away from your family and partner and you just ignore them because your hobby is more important, that is also an issue too. If you are just collecting junk and it takes up space and makes rooms unwalkable, that is a hoarding issue. These people will just collect broken stuff, keep papers and old bills and junk mail, some even hoard food where they just keep buying food they will never eat and it goes bad and some will keep buying stuff like clothes and other things and they never use them and their rooms get filled you an't even go in them. It is also bad for the house too.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
I'm broke as boink! That makes me think long and hard about what items I want, and it makes me a perfectionist. I'd rather have a few spot on things, than all the Little bABy things. In the long run, I'd want a paci leash that goes on my plushy's wrist, which is the next thing I'm looking into seriously, 7 daytime Little outfits, and 7 nighttime Little outfits, 4 of my ideal All-in-2 shells, and 12 of my ideal inners.

A relatively small collection, wouldn't you say? Point is, for perfect, I can wait a long time, and thinking about perfect, helps when you're broke.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Who really cares if people want to rip on others for their hobbies or collections. Haters will hate and everyone has their own opinion what they think is wroth it or a waste of money. Sure there is a difference between collecting and hoarding. Some people may collect pacifiers and some may collect old diapers but to me that would be a waste of space but to some people they enjoy it and they don't find it to be a waste of space.

I say if your hobby is causing you distress making you financially unstable because you would rather spend money on your collections or hobby than on bills first and your health or you can't get employment because your hobby is more important, then people have a right to be negative about it. Or if your hobby makes you be away from your family and partner and you just ignore them because your hobby is more important, that is also an issue too. If you are just collecting junk and it takes up space and makes rooms unwalkable, that is a hoarding issue. These people will just collect broken stuff, keep papers and old bills and junk mail, some even hoard food where they just keep buying food they will never eat and it goes bad and some will keep buying stuff like clothes and other things and they never use them and their rooms get filled you an't even go in them. It is also bad for the house too.
What I really hate is Hobby Invalidators; people that say "you aren't really a Fan of *Blank*" or "you arent a collector you are an Investor" or "you arent a Gamer"

Like who gets to decide whether someone else is enjoying a Hobby of theirs "The Right Way" ?

I dont think that is anybody's right, I think everyone is allowed to enjoy a hobby in their own way and decide what is too much money to spend, too much time involved; etc

As long as it's a Hobby and it provides enjoyment and it hasn't taken over your ability to lead a normal life I dont think anybody has a right to say what is the "right" way to enjoy a hobby and what is "the wrong way"

DanielW

Est. Contributor
Role
Little, Incontinent, Other, Private
Like who gets to decide whether someone else is enjoying a Hobby of theirs "The Right Way" ?
No one does, everybody is free to enjoy activities the way they like. While I can't control other people's opinions, I can control my reaction to it. After all unsolicited "free advice" is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it...nothing . :)

Or think about it like this: you can smile and shrug it off or you can bang your head against a wall arguing with them...one way leaves you with a smile...the other with a headache. Which would you prefer?

Last edited:

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
No one does, everybody is free to enjoy activities the way they like. While I can't control other people's opinions, I can control my reaction to it. After all unsolicited "free advice" is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it...nothing . :)

Or think about it like this: you can smile and shrug it off or you can bang your head against a wall arguing with them...one way leaves you with a smile...the other with a headache. Which would you prefer?
I have gave up on the "Logic" approach and left that area, not worth the headache to argue with Morons that want to tell me what I am in a hobby and invalidate why I enjoy it because they dont have the same view