How do you pronounce “Wipe”?

Belarin said:
Youse seems to stem from Irish English and from there passed into Australian and American English, while mostly considered a coloquialisation there is some discussion among linguists, etymologists and linguaphiles that “youse” or “yous” originated as attempts to differentiate the plural “you” from the singular “you.”
Wow, I didn't know that.

Without you, my reply would've been, "Honey, I was born and raised in Alabama. Please, don't ask me to figure out New Yorker."

Thanks for telling me.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Wow, I didn't know that.

Without you, my reply would've been, "Honey, I was born and raised in Alabama. Please, don't ask me to figure out New Yorker."

Thanks for telling me.
I can't garantee you how accurate that is, a lot of it is speculative discussion but it does make a little sense.

There is also possibly a little french influence in there (you, vous) as the word you itself has many influences (the Old English "eow", which was the accusative case plural for "þu" (thou), objective case of, "ye". Also from Proto-Germanic *juz-, with sources also from Old Norse "yor", Old Saxon "iu", and Old Frisian "iuwe".

Last edited:
Belarin said:
I've got a special machine here that may change that. 😜
🤣..

BobbiSueEllen said:
A rule of grammar is being solidly broken when people are calling diapers "dips" and it needs to stop as it is both incorrect and confusing...as I've passively punned upon over the months.

The correct spelling of a slang word for diaper is "dipe". Notice the E at the end; as a grammatical rule, its presence at the end of a word makes its preceding vowel long, e.g. bike, pale, gene, gore, sure.

As a Sesame Street short illustrated decades ago (when Sesame Street was actually educational), "What turns a man into a mane, or turns a can into a cane...just use a letter E!" Therefore, the slang word is "dipe". I'm tired of being increasingly repulsed by a can of bean dip now.

An exception: another accepted slang word for diaper is "diap", which preserves its original spelling and visual recognition. Although grammatical accuracy may be debated, it is nonetheless used by many actual parents to this day.

Just please, STOP calling them "dips". Seriously. This has been a BSE Production. Copyright MMXXII. All rights reserved. All wrongs avenged. *starts warming up her paddle-spankin' arm* :devilish:
This would make sense if the root word from which "dip" was derived was "diaper" but it's not. As the story goes, "dip" is derived from "dipper". Someone years ago was asked the question "do u poop dipper" or something similar. It was one of those inappropriate questions that many ABDLs get on a daily basis. The community made fun of it and "dips" became a thing. This is however hearsay and if this isn't correct then please educate me :)

More than just ADISCers use dip, though.

Dip tends to be used when fear of association with fedapiles, because diapers are for babies, is a real and present danger.

For example, ResonantYes and RNT use it on their podcast, when they're afraid of a terrified, vanilla meaniebutt hearing diaper, and thinking monster.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Back when Shakespeare was alive, "ye," had 2 meanings.

It could either mean you, the individual, or you, the lot of you.
Actually, "ye" is the plural of "thou" in King James English. Ye and thou were introduced to remove the ambiguity of the slang term "you," which is both singular and plural. This made translating from other languages very concise. Shakespeare was directly involved in creating and introducing new words via his writings by order of the king. Unfortunately, the masses stuck with the slang, and we still battle the ambiguity of "you" to this day.

Because "you" can be plural, technically "y'all" (you all) is redundant, but because stating "you" when speaking to a group could mean one listener or all listening, "y'all" removes the ambiguity. "Y'all" is the modern "ye," but I hope Ye does not change his name to Y'all!!?!

Reactions: Kittyinpink
Back