How do you handle a public accident?

Babyman1224

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
So today my wife and I got up early and went to town for some shopping quick for things we needed to accomplish our day. Got to the one store we had in mind and I could tell my stomach was being all sorts of special and immediately needed a rest room. Well unfortunately the bathroom was out of order!! Needless to say thank God I was prepared and wearing protection. I got out of the store thinking I could wait in the truck and hold it in the sitting position. Nope. As I climbed in the vehicle my ass thought otherwise and the explosion happened. So now I’m sitting in the truck waiting on my wife to finish shopping at the next couple stores. We didn’t bring a change which was a huge mistake but even had we how would you go about dealing with it? We are in a smaller community so using a bathroom together would get people talking if someone we knew were to see us going in and out. All I can say is I am so happy we decided to leave the kids home or I’d have some explaining to do. Lol!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
I would drive home with the windows rolled down.

• Haha
Reactions: DL4201, Edgewater, NappiedTruckDriver and 1 other person
Always have a spare diaper etc

I always have a well supplied travel (diaper) bag in our SUV. It just makes sense as Things Happen!

Reactions: EcoIncon
Any time I leave the house for a substantial period of time my backpack with my supplies goes with me. If I’m not going to be gone more than four-six hours I generally will wear cloth contours. Dual ic has led me to use a terry hand towel as a liner to make cleanup easier and if things get “loose” the terry cloth tends to absorb faster and contain the mess. When, not if an “accident” occurs in my case I’ll generally try to make it home for a shower with my shower that has a hand held shower head which makes cleanup much easier. A year ago I flew from my home in southern Wisconsin down to Houston to drive back the Jetta SportWagen TDI that I had purchased on the internet. Abena Abri-Form M-4’s were what I was wearing for the three day trip and because of the difficulty of finding a restroom on the way back I got a nasty rash from wearing a used diaper far longer than I normally would have. I actually got desperate one night close to Little Rock and changed in the car. Not something that I would like to repeat. In April last year I made a trip out to New Jersey to haul back a scissors man lift for my son who had purchased it on an internet auction for his construction company. The dog and I made that round trip in my pickup pulling a U-Haul trailer in a little over two days. I was wearing cloth diapers on this trip and had to resort to my truck driving days and shower at a truckstop (man are a lot nicer than when I quit driving in ‘90) on the way back as I couldn’t stand my wet diaper any longer. The shower also gave me the opportunity to rinse and wring out the diapers (I had doubled up and added a soaker) and put them in a large ziplock back for the trip back. With either cloth or disposables I find that zinc oxide diaper rash ointment usually helps control rashes and the terry cloth liner keeps it off the cloth diaper which otherwise adversely affects their absorption ability. By the way, if you neighbors happen to see you and your wife heading into the same restroom just tell them it was for a little “afternoon delight”. That should either make them smile or make them wish that they had minded their own business!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Edgewater and EcoIncon
Babyman1224 said:
We didn’t bring a change which was a huge mistake but even had we how would you go about dealing with it?
I don’t think people noticed the second part of the question.

Your diaper bag, which I realize you didn’t have with you, but won’t make that mistake again, should include small bottle of spray air freshener (or even body spray) and high quality scented disposable bags made for adult diapers. Northshore makes one such product. You should also keep some disposable gloves, high quality adult incontinence wipes (bigger than baby wipes) and chux / puppy pads in your diaper bag.

Next pray to your favorite deity that you have access to a well ventilated, private bathroom. But if not, that’s what your air freshener is for!

Do you know how to change a soiled (messy) diaper while standing? If not, there’s no time like the present to learn! Go to a bathroom stall. Before untaping your diaper get the disposal bag out annd set it next to you. Put the chux between your legs and get your gloves on and untape your diaper. The chux between your legs will catch any yucky debris as you wipe up. The big wipes will cut down on the number of wipes and time it takes to wipe. Take off your gloves. Tape on your new diaper, ball up it all up and put it in the high quality disposal bag and toss. Check the stall to make sure you it’s cleaner than when started. And spritz some air freshener.

Its not glamorous but with practice and a stiff upper lip it can be done in under 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBlueHeron, Babyman1224 and Edgewater
All great advice, thanks to all of you. So embarrassing when things like this happen and being prepared for it is the way forward. We weren’t planning to be gone long so the spare seemed unnecessary but never putting myself in that position again.

Last edited:
I exchange driver license and insurance information. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ParaRomeo, jdinvirginia and Edgewater
The thing with my issue is that very long trips by bus I wear but times I forget. Then an accident happens to which I go home pad up then go back a waste of time but I do what I need to do

What you need to do is have a backup/ blow out kit in every vehicle or a small bag with everything needed to handle changes so if you forget your bag. You mentioned your married and have kids so blowouts or messes like that aren't abnormal(going to assume when they were little y'all had backups in the car) yours would just be bigger so it might require items like disposable underpads and either bath wipes or they have bath mits(taken care of it on your own these work good, if not bath wipes are bigger & thicker but depending on consistency dry wipes actually help get majority off) always have gloves and few trash bags but having kids you hopefully kind of know what potential would be needed just size up. I personally don't have many of any F IC incidents during the day but I have a false bottom in my console where I keep ziplock with a spare diaper,booster, gloves and travel size wipes and ointment it's like my emergency backup.

CheshireCat said:
I exchange driver license and insurance information. ;)
Well sir per the skid marks you left actually left the scene of the said accident in quite a hurry & per witness's they saw a middle aged whiskey mike "skipping" awau at a brisk pace. Fortunately for you unlike most radiators you didn't spring a leak and leave a trail to your lka. 🤣🤢🏃🛁🧼

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater and CheshireCat
I carry a diaper bag with me pretty much everywhere I go that has spare diapers, pads, pull ups, tshirt, pants, socks and shoes. I don’t have FI, but I’ve had enough urine leaks/floods to know that I don’t want to get caught out. Spare socks and shoes may seem like overkill, but I’ve managed to fill my shoes with wee a couple of times and have been glad to be this prepared.

ParaRomeo said:
Well sir per the skid marks you left actually left the scene of the said accident in quite a hurry & per witness's they saw a middle aged whiskey mike "skipping" awau at a brisk pace. Fortunately for you unlike most radiators you didn't spring a leak and leave a trail to your lka. 🤣🤢🏃🛁🧼
Hey... If someone says they've seen me leave skid marks, they're lying! And I'll brake check any tailgaters looking for 'em. And no one's getting under my undercarriage to see how I prevent leaky fluids from hitting the pavement! Proprietary design, ya know!

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater and ParaRomeo
Back