How do you clean cloth

Vtfastback13

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
I have a few of the cloth diapers with Velcro. How do you wash them. Had a big poopy in them. I mean huge all the way from back to top of front

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
What diapers are they? Generally speaking: Get as much poop off of them and into the toilet as you can, then follow the manufacturer's washing instructions.

Vtfastback13

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
Omutsu cloth

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
First thing's first. Get as much of the poop in the potty as you can. I hope you prepped them before the first use? How big is your cloth stash? Wet, or dry pail? Good news is, if you're not allergic to it, you can use typical detergent. Just don't use anything with fabric softener.

Last edited:

Vtfastback13

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
First thing's first. Get as much of the poop in the potty as you can. I hope you prepped them before the first use? How big is your cloth stash? Wet, or dry pail? Good news is, if you're not allergic to it, you can use typical detergent. Just don't use anything with fabric softener.
I washed them 4 times before I used them using Clorox non bleach and tide pods

SpAzpieSweeTot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Vtfastback13 said:
I washed them 4 times before I used them using Clorox non bleach and tide pods
Kudos on the prep job!
According to Rearz: Pre-wash in your machine with one line of detergent. Then do a main wash in the washing machine with one full cap or scoop of detergent. You may wish to perform a pre wash by hand to remove any excess dirt. Dry as desired. Omutsu diapers should be washed three times and dried once prior to being used for the first time.
How many are you washing together? Diaper chilli, and you won't have enough detergent. Diaper soup, and you'll have too much detergent, and risk it redecorating on your diapers. Aim for diaper stew.
Rinse, really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vtfastback13

Vtfastback13

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
Got them all washed. Came out spot less. Looks brand new

Joediaper

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Nice! I started using Rockin Green detergents recently. They have specialty stuff for diapers and funky stank. Don't need to use as much (about 1/8th of a cup for a full load if even that much) and they don't leave any build up. Won't use anything else now. Well unless they're out of stock when I need to order.

Reactions: Belarin

SpAzpieSweeTot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I could use typical detergent. My future husband can't. I have to be choosey because of him.

My rules for diaper detergent are:

Not too hard on the earth, because why is that necessary?
No optical brighteners, because it's trickery, and E is practically Bubble Boy.
No other dyes, because they aren't necessarily, and he might be allergic.
No fragrances, because if your clothes smell like dirt, they're dirty. If they smell like detergent, it's not washing out.
No softeners, because they cause repelling.
I like enzymes.
Powder, because you'd never wash cloth in cold water, anyway.

When I look at what cloth diapers need, and can't have, and what his skin revolts against, I'm led here https://useactive.com/activewear-laundry-detergent/
Or here
https://www.amway.com/en_US/Amway-Home™-SA8™-Powder-Laundry-Detergent-p-109849

For other laundry, https://www.puretergent.com/

or https://dirtylabs.com/products/free-clear-bio-laundry-detergent

Last edited:

SpAzpieSweeTot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I should add, enzymes aren't absolutely necessary. Be sure you rinse your fluff well, if you're detergent contains enzymes. You don't want to use your fluff, and have enzyme residue try to do their job while you're wearing it. Ouch!

AliB

Sweet little looking for friends 👑🎉
Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Other
I use earth friendly soap sheets and 1/4 cup vinegar (which neutralizes properties in urine). I sometimes will add an extra rinse. Then line dry in the sun or dry with no fabric softener (they’re naturally soft). I prefer abdl cloth, but use disposable on long trips.

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Non bio wash power/liquid extra rinse line dry

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Joediaper said:
Nice! I started using Rockin Green detergents recently. They have specialty stuff for diapers and funky stank. Don't need to use as much (about 1/8th of a cup for a full load if even that much) and they don't leave any build up. Won't use anything else now. Well unless they're out of stock when I need to order.
Rockin Green is my fave too this stuff does the job nicely

As for tips on washing (might not need now since you've got them clean but good for future).

Always use a liner, This is really easy just buy some microfleece (make sure it's microfleece not polar or anything else) and simply cut out some hourglass shapes big enough to fit inside the diapers, you want the big enough to cover (espeially in the back) but not hang out. Microfleece doesn't fray so no sewing needed just cut out and put in the diaper. This helps with messes because it keeps the bulk of it off the actual diaper and you can easily remove it, hold it in the toilet and flush to remove most of the mess (or blast it with a shower/diaper sprayer into the toilet).

After getting rid of the bulk of any mess (or if they are only wet) and going to wash it's a good idea to run a cold rinse cycle first and allow that to drain. if you put it straight into a wash cycle all the urine etc. that gets rinsed out stays in the water that then gets used in the wash. By doing a cold rinse and spin first most of the urine gets rinsed out so when you start a wash cycle it will be with cleaner water.

Most people think you need a super hot wash to clean diapers but this can actually damage them, pure cotton doesn't need more than 60 degrees and only then if it is very heavily soiled 40 is fine most of the time.

It can also be a good idea if your machine has the option to use extra water (my machine is quite old now but still has a button that basically adds an extra rinse cycle at the end using fresh water). Most machines these days aim to be economical and try to save money by using less water in a cycle and cloth diapers are designed to be absorbant so more water may be needed to clean them properly and wash out all the detergent.

Never use fabric softener on them and always read the instruction on the detergent to make sure you are using the right amount and not too much of it.

There are other tips but they are more for developing a routine

Reactions: Joediaper

Joediaper

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
AliB said:
1/4 cup vinegar
If you're using any type of PUL or poly blend pants this is not recommended. Vinegar is an acid and can react with certain plastics, rubber and elastics. You can even use it to remove poly finishes from surfaces that have been painted with it. It will break down other materials as well but seems to effect polyurethane to a greater extent. If you feel you need vinegar to help strip the diapers only us it on the cloth inserts and rinse thoroughly before washing with anything else. Even then it's not really a good idea to use on regular basis because it can attack the internals of your washing machine. If you use bleach in your machine it's a really bad idea because left over bleach can mix with the vinegar and create a toxic chlorine gas. Here are a couple articles explaining what not to use it on.

Last edited:

AliB

Sweet little looking for friends 👑🎉
Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Other
Ok. Thank you for helping. I didn’t know. I really do appreciate your advice.

Joediaper

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I didn't either until an EcoAble rep chastised me via email for using vinegar. 🤭 They were really good about it though and still honored the warranty for other things that were happening to a couple covers I had purchased. I did the research after I was yelled at and won't use it in any of my appliances any more. Or for cleaning for that matter. It's just sitting there collecting dust. 😒