How do you change your diaper?

FTuga197

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm new at this and I only put it on, nothing else.
Do you use talcum powder or other things?

You really should also use wipes to clean up even if you have only peed in your diaper to help prevent rash’s and reduce oder also cream or powder can be used but I usually only us power or diaper at home to reduce the change times in public.

Last edited:
Depends both on your personal preference and your skin's needs. If you've got very resiliant skin you can pretty much do as you please. If you're new to diapers, you'll probably end up experiencing some issues based on your skin's needs, and try different things to see what you need to do to keep your skin happy, and then experiment to see what else you can do to feel more comfortable.

My skin is fairly high-maintenance, and I need to apply a lot of powder under my butt cheeks before putting on my diaper, and pull the sides out and dump in more powder on the sides of my hips (under the wings) after diapering up to prevent pimples in those two locations. But additionally, I have to use powder very sparingly on the insides of my thighs where my skin gets overly dry really easily. (I'd like to use more between my legs to cut down on friction when I walk, but for me that can easily lead to eczema - very dry skin, which hurts and can take days to heal)

Since everyone's skin is different, just listen to others' ideas, experiment a bit, and do what you need to do and what you enjoy.

Last edited:
By the way, how many times do you change a day? I just pooped. It's noon. I could feel this all day.

It depends where I am at when I need to change. If I am at home, I just get in the shower and take off my used diaper and take a shower. If I am out and about, I generally know where the private handicap bathrooms are located in my area. I will go to the nearest one and change in there. If it is only a wet diaper, the cleanup is really quick. If I have a mess in my diaper, the cleanup takes about 15 minutes. Fortunately, most of my messy diapers happen at home, but there have been a few messes while I am away from home due to my incontinence.

Last edited:
You should take a look at the commmunity articles here.

Thank God. Just found the right way to put my diaper on. Been wetting the back of my plants for days...

Reactions: Removed
FTuga197 said:
I'm new at this and I only put it on, nothing else.
Do you use talcum powder or other things?
I wear always and yes, talcum is your friend

Baby Mitchy

Put this instructional video together which may help you.

Enjoy

After being back in diapers again for several years, my skin has become very resilient, so I just take off the used diaper, and put on a new dry one, if its only wet.
If it's messy then cleanup is a bit more time consuming, here I position myself with my back against the sink and do a hand wash of my butt. Then dry of and a new diaper.

Reactions: FTuga197
Wipes and baby powder that's about it.

The powder helps keep my skin dry and smooth. Perfect for days with the hot Texas sun beating down when I'm out and about padded.

FTuga197 said:
Thank God. Just found the right way to put my diaper on. Been wetting the back of my plants for days...
Well that's one way to water the plants

• Haha
Reactions: FTuga197
  • Haha
Reactions: Sheepies
NotTheAverageMan said:
After being back in diapers again for several years, my skin has become very resilient, so I just take off the used diaper, and put on a new dry one, if its only wet.
If it's messy then cleanup is a bit more time consuming, here I position myself with my back against the sink and do a hand wash of my butt. Then dry of and a new diaper.
Don't you get nappy rash?

I got nappy rash because I just put a clean nappy on from a wet one.

And it was not fun. It was a real pain in the bum.

siysiy said:
Don't you get nappy rash?

I got nappy rash because I just put a clean nappy on from a wet one.

And it was not fun. It was a real pain in the bum.
Your skin will eventually adapt, or might just be tough to start out with. When just starting out, and/or with sensitive skin, it will be more important to use diaper creams (or ointments which have a different purpose) and/or powder. It's also dependent on what diaper you use, the better the acquisition layer the less of a need for them. After a couple of years going 24/7 you won't really need any of that stuff though, at least for when you're changing during the day.

Do a search here on how to treat diaper rashes. Pay close attention to the difference between creams and ointments, and note air time and short hair is a necessity. With proper care a rash should never get that bad, and should almost always be gone in a day or two. If not, then it may be a yeast infection.

To change my contour diaper: I open the diaper and place it on the lid of my toilet. I apply baby powder and pin the left side. then I stand and tighten the waist of the diaper ends and pin the right side. Then I pull up my diaper cover and diaper change complete. When I wear a prefold diaper I place the diaper on my bed fold the sides in then sprinkle baby powder in the middle. Then I lay down on the open diaper, and pull the front up between my legs and pin the sides. I then put on my diaper cover and diaper change is done

Slomo said:
Your skin will eventually adapt,

I wish! I seem doomed to forever need to carefully balance the use of talc, cornstarch, lotion, and AF cremes, to avoid the ever-present threat of crops of pimples, yeast, and eczema.

Yeah, I wish my skin was more resilient as well. I tend to be fairly sensitive to things like sunburn, or indeed nappy-relates issues. I can get away with using powder if I change fairly soon after wetting. Powder also makes cleanup with baby wipes fairly straight forward.

If I know I’ll be wearing for considerable time, e.g overnight, or if I want to use the nappy to capacity, then I have to rely on barrier cream. I found Bepanthan works best for protecting my skin down there. However one disadvantage is because it’s so sticky, it’s not quite so comfortable, and also makes changes trickier.

I always change lying on my back. I have a waterproof mat to protect the carpet (I picked up a large one from a camping store). If I’m just wet, then I’ll clean myself with a bunch of wipes, then make sure I’m dry (maybe using some clean tissues). Then the powder/cream can go back on. You can’t use both, as that would create a paste that would hold moisture against your skin.

For messy nappies, the best thing is to use the front of the nappy to get off most of the mess. Then adult-sized wipes are handy for dealing with the rest. I never feel fully clean again until I’ve showered, but it’s possible to make do without.

Back