How Do Normal Adults Handle Being Sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildRoseBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I ate something bad last night. After what I though was a complete purge of my guts from both ends I wake up at 5:30 and shit the bed. Since I have a waterproof cover on the mattress and lined plastic pants to put on cleanup was easy and I am not to worried about more surprises. I honestly don't know how I would handle being this sick without diapers and paraphernalia around. I would looking for a new mattress while terrified to go to the drugstore to get medicine without pooping my pants.

If and when it does happen, nothing really to say or do but deal with it. There is a reason the saying "Shit happens" exists. Being upset or embarrassed won't change the facts or make them better, so just get on with getting on.

While completely waterproof covers arn't the norm, most people have some kind of matress cover because as has been said, occasionally shit happens. Pets, drinks get spilt, and sometimes humans get sick, etc. Long as you don't let something sit overnight the matress is usually fine.

I don't think what you describe is all that common. It's never happened to me or hardly anyone I can think of who wasn't already sick with something else and might have already had at least protection on the bed. I hope you're feeling better.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's simply no better excuse for padding up than being sick, especially when it involves out of control #2. The last time I was sick, I was very grateful for being padded.

Hmm .. when I get sick the only issues I have is my incontinence gets worse. Seem more prone to having accidents. So being padded while being sick is a must for me, other wise my bed would be soaked.

Lucky for me ... my immune system is something special. I don't get sick very often.

Normal folks? Easy. Just spend more time in the restroom.

Just saying, it is the norovirus. It isn't as much of a hunch as it is from experience. Hits October-April and it hits hard. I had to go through it without diapers. Ruined five pairs of underwear, one set of sheets, and a pair of uniform pants. It was horrible. Voiding revery ten minutes. It goes away after three to five days.

I have a mattress cover for protection as well. When I had my UTI, it made me extremely urge incontinent. I wet the clothes I was trying to sleep in many times. I was at the hospital for about five hours and it was very difficult. The nurse left me with one of those held held urinals, but by the time I got my shorts down, it was too late. I was more than glad when all that came to an end after the IV antibiotic that they gave me.

I know what you're all thinking. Why wasn't I wearing diapers? I started out in diapers, but the pain was so horrible, that diapers only made the situation worse.

dogboy said:
I have a mattress cover for protection as well. When I had my UTI, it made me extremely urge incontinent. I wet the clothes I was trying to sleep in many times. I was at the hospital for about five hours and it was very difficult. The nurse left me with one of those held held urinals, but by the time I got my shorts down, it was too late. I was more than glad when all that came to an end after the IV antibiotic that they gave me.

I know what you're all thinking. Why wasn't I wearing diapers? I started out in diapers, but the pain was so horrible, that diapers only made the situation worse.
Yowser! :-(
I hope I never get that bad a UTI.

I've seen threads on here before where people talk about getting padded up to deal with being sick. I don't get it. I am in the final stages of what was, apparently, the worst case of food poisoning I've ever had. I've never had anything (discounting traumatic injuries like being smashed by an SUV while cycling) knock me down like this one did. I threw up, my entire body ached, my head ached, I had a 100.5 fever and diarrhea, I was super lethargic, and I wound up sleeping on and off most of the day (I called off of work).

I would have taken anything that would have made me feel better, including a bullet, but a diaper was the furthest thing from my mind. Besides, having diarrhea in a diaper is about the least pleasant experience I can think of with diapers. Might as well smear battery acid around my diaper area. I'd rather sit on a toilet all day than have diarrhea in a diaper.

How do I handle being sick? I sleep. I take something if it's bad enough. I sit on a toilet if I need to. On now two occasions during my adult working life I've called off of work. I drink as much juice as I can, if possible. And I do my best to make it go away.

GoldDragonAurkarm said:
I would have taken anything that would have made me feel better, including a bullet, but a diaper was the furthest thing from my mind. Besides, having diarrhea in a diaper is about the least pleasant experience I can think of with diapers. Might as well smear battery acid around my diaper area. I'd rather sit on a toilet all day than have diarrhea in a diaper.

For me it was not done for pleasure, but practicality. The last stomach flu I had, I had the runs all day long and wasn't padded. The last time this had happened to me, I had diapers in the house but hadn't worn overnight, and I got up several times to change out of wet underwear and clean up myself and a bit of sheets due to having nonstop gas and wet farts, and was kicking myself by morning for not having worn a diaper to bed. So this time I went to bed padded. Just before bed, I took a large helping of pepto bismol. (FYI that turns your poop black) All I'd been passing in the toilet all day long was large volumes of brackish water, it was like I had a faucet up my rear. I was hoping the pepto would put a stop to it so I could sleep, but I was padded just in case.

Anyway, I didn't have to get up during the night to use the toilet, which really surprised me. I did however have pretty much nonstop gas all night long. So I get up in the morning to get out of my unused diaper, and got the surprise of my life. It looked like a soot-bomb had gone off in my diaper, the entire back padding was basically coal black. My diaper was lightly and evenly wet, in the back, not the front.

Apparently a lot of those farts last night I should not have trusted. But I was padded. And I was extremely thankful my diaper received that treatment instead of my bed!

So you see it's not necessarily during the day when you can camp on the toilet. You have to sleep sometime. And when you're sick, sleep is a great escape from the misery. Get up, toilet, eat/drink, go back to bed for 4 hrs. Repeat. (sometimes for a few days straight) So pad up. Cleaning up sheets and bedding is the last thing you'll want to be doing when you're sick. Just because you're a DL doesn't mean you can't wear for entirely practical reasons.

bambinod said:
For me it was not done for pleasure, but practicality. The last stomach flu I had, I had the runs all day long and wasn't padded. The last time this had happened to me, I had diapers in the house but hadn't worn overnight, and I got up several times to change out of wet underwear and clean up myself and a bit of sheets due to having nonstop gas and wet farts, and was kicking myself by morning for not having worn a diaper to bed. So this time I went to bed padded. Just before bed, I took a large helping of pepto bismol. (FYI that turns your poop black) All I'd been passing in the toilet all day long was large volumes of brackish water, it was like I had a faucet up my rear. I was hoping the pepto would put a stop to it so I could sleep, but I was padded just in case.

Anyway, I didn't have to get up during the night to use the toilet, which really surprised me. I did however have pretty much nonstop gas all night long. So I get up in the morning to get out of my unused diaper, and got the surprise of my life. It looked like a soot-bomb had gone off in my diaper, the entire back padding was basically coal black. My diaper was lightly and evenly wet, in the back, not the front.

Apparently a lot of those farts last night I should not have trusted. But I was padded. And I was extremely thankful my diaper received that treatment instead of my bed!

So you see it's not necessarily during the day when you can camp on the toilet. You have to sleep sometime. And when you're sick, sleep is a great escape from the misery. Get up, toilet, eat/drink, go back to bed for 4 hrs. Repeat. (sometimes for a few days straight) So pad up. Cleaning up sheets and bedding is the last thing you'll want to be doing when you're sick. Just because you're a DL doesn't mean you can't wear for entirely practical reasons.
Honestly, I'd rather sleep on the toilet, that's how unpleasant my last diarrhea in diaper experience was. Like I said, it might as well have been battery acid.

HokieABDL said:
Yowser! :-(
I hope I never get that bad a UTI.

I honestly thought I was trying to pass a kidney stone. I have to wonder how women stand it, unless it's more painful for a male. I'm sure there are a lot of women already laughing at that statement. Anyway, they have my sympathy.

This is really the angle that could sway public opinion. . . .

People in my family have had colonoscopies, food poisoning, and in general bad times to be away from the bathroom. The only way to deal with it is to stay close to or live in the bathroom until it passes. Accidents do happen, but any mature adult will clean up the mess and move on without another thought. As we know, those are perfect situations in which wearing a diaper should be socially acceptable, just the stigma of wearing a diaper keeps people from going through with it. . .they can live with a little accident and clean up but not the thought of having worn and used a diaper willingly as an adult.

However, I would bet anything that if I was sick and decided to wear a diaper while I was sick and someone "caught" me, they would be shocked at first, but would accept that I was sick (not like in-the-head sick) and go about there business without another word.

With my experiences wearing diapers and how useful they can be, I think that even if I stopped indulging regularly, I would keep a package of diapers in reserve should a situation where they are needed or helpful should occur.

dogboy said:
I honestly thought I was trying to pass a kidney stone. I have to wonder how women stand it, unless it's more painful for a male. I'm sure there are a lot of women already laughing at that statement. Anyway, they have my sympathy.

Women tend to get them more often, men tend to suffer more. It's just a matter of physical construction. For women, the urethra is so short to the bladder that any UTI is pretty much guaranteed to become a bladder infection, not just limited to the urethra, and so that's the highlight they get, bladder infections. From there, the next step is the uriters and kidneys, which can be worse.

For men, there's 8-12" of urethra the UTI has to get through to make it to the bladder, and in most cases it doesn't manage that because 10" of inflamed urethra usually drives a man to the doctor for some antibiotics, and as you found out, that can be a large bag of hurt. That's a lot of distance to work through also, so men don't get bladder infections anywhere near as often. But the urethra's lining is quite sensitive, so it sure hurts.

I've personally experienced maybe 5 UTIs of various degrees throughout my life, none of which required a doctor visit. (though a few probably should have...) I generally found that I got some relief from peeing. (which was typically a burning pain, but there was a relief that followed and lasted up to an hour before the continuous pain returned) That often left me wishing I had more to pee between voids. Drinking more helped (cranbery juice is usually recommended, but it tears up my stomach) but in the end what I found helped the most was to NOT void completely. Just enough to grease the plumbing and then stop. Sure it meant more frequent burning from going, but it allowed me to be comfortable for the entire time between events, and seemed to speed healing.

And unless you want to make 20 trips to the bathroom overnight, a diaper is obviously required ;)

I think keeping the urethra flushed of bacterial buildup as best you can is probably the best solution also, from a clinical point of view.

bambinod said:
Women tend to get them more often, men tend to suffer more. It's just a matter of physical construction. For women, the urethra is so short to the bladder that any UTI is pretty much guaranteed to become a bladder infection, not just limited to the urethra, and so that's the highlight they get, bladder infections. From there, the next step is the uriters and kidneys, which can be worse.

For men, there's 8-12" of urethra the UTI has to get through to make it to the bladder, and in most cases it doesn't manage that because 10" of inflamed urethra usually drives a man to the doctor for some antibiotics, and as you found out, that can be a large bag of hurt. That's a lot of distance to work through also, so men don't get bladder infections anywhere near as often. But the urethra's lining is quite sensitive, so it sure hurts.

I've personally experienced maybe 5 UTIs of various degrees throughout my life, none of which required a doctor visit. (though a few probably should have...) I generally found that I got some relief from peeing. (which was typically a burning pain, but there was a relief that followed and lasted up to an hour before the continuous pain returned) That often left me wishing I had more to pee between voids. Drinking more helped (cranbery juice is usually recommended, but it tears up my stomach) but in the end what I found helped the most was to NOT void completely. Just enough to grease the plumbing and then stop. Sure it meant more frequent burning from going, but it allowed me to be comfortable for the entire time between events, and seemed to speed healing.

And unless you want to make 20 trips to the bathroom overnight, a diaper is obviously required ;)

I think keeping the urethra flushed of bacterial buildup as best you can is probably the best solution also, from a clinical point of view.

Thanks for the reply. What was startling for me was how fast and how serious this all got, withing just two hours. When I started to shake uncontrollably I knew I was in deep trouble and I needed to go immediately to the hospital.

When I am sick, I tend towards a pull-up during the day so my frequent trips to the toilet can be made quick, but I have protection incase I don't get there fast enough. During the night I still tend towards a tape on just for comfort and because I don't normally have to use the toilet in the middle of the night, even when I am sick.

bambinod said:
For me it was not done for pleasure, but practicality. But I was padded. And I was extremely thankful my diaper received that treatment instead of my bed!

So pad up. Cleaning up sheets and bedding is the last thing you'll want to be doing when you're sick. Just because you're a DL doesn't mean you can't wear for entirely practical reasons.

Agree with this 100%! I think SOME folks enjoy the feeling of wet sheets as it may be tied to their youth and the psychology of going back to those years. I HATE wet sheets and recall the unpleasant feeling of wet underwear and pajamas and having to change everything in the middle of the night. Protection is more comfortable and no sheets to change! Even if you have to change your diaper it is only about 3 minutes and then back to bed.

Upset stomach for me means no diapers. I will camp out on the toilet for hours if necessary. Wetting in front is a different story. I think if I had diareah and was padded, I would likely get up and change and camp out on the toilet until I felt well enough to get up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back