How did you become incontinence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case sphincter nerve damage after a turp that progressively got worse.
Caused heavy spasms in urethral sphincters and bladder neck, which prevented me from fully emptying the bladder or at all.
After trying about everything they finally cracked and removed both sphincters endoscopic, so thin membrane still remains but am fully urinary incontinent.

Was a jetsetter until age 12...then just stopped. Why? Who knows. Over 50+ years later began having issues with kidney stones and nephritis-caused decreased renal function (about 45%) that necessitated taking various drugs and drastic increase in fluid intake that resulted in loss of bladder control. Now diapered 24/7. Fortunately, I have a very understanding spouse, although I am often depressed and fearful of accidents.

Oops! bed wetter, not jetsetter!

• Haha
Reactions: thedlguy, nwm and hoimi
Always have been, I get the warning to go but then after a few minutes it is gone and a few minutes after that ready or not I will be wetting.

Elhon said:
Always have been, I get the warning to go but then after a few minutes it is gone and a few minutes after that ready or not I will be wetting.
you almost described mine perfect except I start going because the urge becomes very painful the longer I hold it and I usually have about 30 seconds if I try and hold it.

Not officially diagnosed, but I’m going to say urge incontinence. Before coming out, I didn’t take care of myself and ended up diabetic. As a result of poorly controlled blood sugar, I ended up with neuropathy in my bladder. So basically, when I have to pee, I have to go immediately. I can usually get to the toilet in time, maybe with a little bit of leakage, but sometimes it all comes out. Being on two different diuretics doesn’t make it much better either.

Reactions: KenBear and richard3
catgirleva said:
Not officially diagnosed, but I’m going to say urge incontinence. [...] I ended up with neuropathy in my bladder. So basically, when I have to pee, I have to go immediately. I can usually get to the toilet in time, maybe with a little bit of leakage, but sometimes it all comes out.

That's sounding exact like my problem, i have got Poly-Neuropathy for years, but the incontinence is fresh and not diagnosed until now, in two weeks i will have got the UDM to check for a relation, but i am very much sure it is my PNP.

One question about this, is the urge slowly building up without a break until it is not controllable any more or hits the urge suddenly without warning?

best wishes

Pino

Last edited:
I've always wet the bed..
It started to improve when I was around 14, a little bit but the bedwetting never went away fully because I'm not good at holding it for long, I gotta go to the bathroom constantly.

Then at 19 I got hit by a drunk driver, then I was rear ended by a texting kid, and a couple years ago I got caught in a storm and slammed into a tree sideways at 70mph.. so my spine has taken a beating, I have two herniated disks and other issues, and that made the bedwetting a bit worse.

Reactions: Diaperman95
hoimi said:
Ruptured appendix at age 8. I was incredibly septic, and during the emergency surgery, they pulled a liter of pus from my insides. The surgery itself was super invasive, and caused internal scarring. Imagine blowing a bubble with bubble gum and popping it inside your guts. The scar tissue makes everything stick together, and has been the cause of chronic pain.
Unfortunately, the fix for the scar tissue is surgery, which will undoubtedly cause more scar tissue.
This adhesion (scar) tissue has fused several of my organs together, caused bunching in my intestines, and done a number on my bladder. They believe that my bladder is stuck to my bowels, so when the bowels are doing their wiggly job, my bladder gets squeezed. Over time, my bladder has gotten weaker, and there are less painful spasms, and more big leaks.
My bladder has never been the strongest, but I feel like it has been giving up more and more over the past few years.
I also dealt with secondary bedwetting in my youth following an assault due to PTSD.
scar tissue is no joke. sorry you are having all those issues. Don't let them do another surgery unless it is a must. My wife had to have her rectum removed when 23 yrs old. her scar tissue has all of her organs tied together. They tried to remove them once and they came back 3 times worse. the more hey cut the more they create. she has needed a hysterectomy for about 10 yrs now but I finally stopped letting them cut on her and she is doing better now. But it is a tough row to hoe for sure. She has horrible abdominal pain when her bowel moves. It pulls on her bladder and she pees all the time too. But every time they go inside there no matter how big the surgery they create more. Don't be their Guinee pigs. We had a learning hospital want to go remove her female origins then said they would remove all the organs from her stomach cut them free and put it all back. they wanted 5 different surgeons in all to preform one mega surgery and said it would take over 10 hours for the surgery. I looked at her and said if you do this they are going to kill you. She said I agree and refused their fix. Sometimes you just got to look at how life could be worse in order to get through it. I know all that scar tissue would of came back with authority. We had 10 doctors agree she needs her female organs removed but none of them would do it except one little learning hospital in the middle of Oklahoma that said no big deal. They made me mad and then they told me I need to let her make her own mind up. She is still alive today and doing ok no thanks to them. So stay strong and know we understand your pain.

Pino said:
That's sounding exact like my problem, i have got Poly-Neuropathy for years, but the incontinence is fresh and not diagnosed until now, in two weeks i will have got the UDM to check for a relation, but i am very much sure it is my PNP.

One question about this, is the urge slowly building up without a break until it is not controllable any more or hits the urge suddenly without warning?

best wishes

Pino
For me, it's the urge that comes on suddenly. Sometimes, I can make it to the bathroom, sometimes I leak a little before getting there, sometimes there's no stopping it.

Reactions: Pino and Diaperman95
Beats me! It just started happening in middle school and I still don't know why.

The short answer is that I officially have no idea. The long answer is that there are several different reasons, few to none of which have been officially confirmed.

I have had three prolonged episodes of major incontinence in my life, plus an interval of full continence between the first and second episode, and an interval of competent but not complete continence between the second and third. I am currently 8 years into the third. I am pretty sure the first and third share some of the same causes. I'm not as sure why the second happened and have no particular expectation of finding out.

According to my paediatric medical records, I was originally incontinent because I am autistic ("developmental delay associated with autism spectrum"). This would be fine — I am autistic and proud of it — except that autism doesn't directly cause incontinence, and I did not have general developmental delay consistent with the usual autistic incontinence profile.

I am currently being assessed for a constellation of conditions which, at the time of my original diagnosis, were either treated as part of autism and not documented separately, or were inexplicably simply not caught despite presenting symptoms. The conditions in question include Arnold—Chiari malformation, dyspraxia, hypermobile Ehlers—Danlos syndrome, sensory processing disorder, slow gastrointestinal transit, and tethered spinal cord syndrome. Some of them are a lock-in (I almost certainly have dyspraxia and SPD), some of them are rather more ambiguous, but in any case all of those conditions are classified as potential root causes of incontinence.

After I got out of diapers the first time, I had to go back into them a couple of years later and I still don't really know what happened except that it presented as going from basically complete control to basically no control inside six months and staying that way for about two years. My own investigations since have not turned anything up.

After I got out of diapers the second time, I had permanently somewhat worse control than the first time, with occasional wetting and messing accidents which I hadn't had before.

I voluntarily went back into diapers the third time because I had just entered a new environment (university), had had a near miss under embarrassing circumstances, and was feeling nervous and scared. After about nine months of that I started regularly wetting the bed, which was odd because I hadn't been consistently wet at night since my first IC episode. After about twelve months total I realised I didn't have competent enough urinary continence to leave the house without diapers (I don't know how long that had been the case because the time when I checked was the first time I had attempted to leave the house without diapers in about six months), and have not been out of diapers since then. After about eighteen months total I started having messing accidents.

At the time I regarded what happened as a completely voluntary giving up of continence. I'm not as sure these days. In retrospect, my continence was starting to slightly go downhill for no obvious reason even before I chose to go back into diapers. It also seems that I may have IBS, which I didn't previously know wasn't normal, but which may have played into my decision to return to full-time diapers. At this point it's anyone's guess.

Reactions: Diaperman95
I was a very late developer and was in nappies day and night until I wa s5 years old and a lot longer at night. My Mother had a terrible time trying to get me out of nappies in time to start school. Even though I did manage it. I often wet my self and usually had a wet patch in my shorts most days . I constantly wet the bed all through my childhood and teenage years and it was never diagnosed as to why. Truth was I just didn't care. I wet the bed so what was my attitude. I could never see what the fuss was all about. Any way by my 20's I was reasonably dry at night though I had some episodes of bedwetting all through my adult life. Then from my late 30s onwards I had a long unbroken dry spell.
This finally ended one morning in my late 40's when I woke to find I had wet the bed. Gradually over the next few months this slowly increased and by the time I was 50 I was wetting every night and my day time control was getting steadily worse. This time I was diagnosed as being diabetic and the ever worsening incontinence was caused by nerve damage. I have been in nappies 24/7 for the last 9 years. I have learned to live with this and no longer worry about it.

catgirleva said:
Not officially diagnosed, but I’m going to say urge incontinence. Before coming out, I didn’t take care of myself and ended up diabetic. As a result of poorly controlled blood sugar, I ended up with neuropathy in my bladder. So basically, when I have to pee, I have to go immediately. I can usually get to the toilet in time, maybe with a little bit of leakage, but sometimes it all comes out. Being on two different diuretics doesn’t make it much better either.
I have lived with it most of my life. I have a neurogenetic bladder with a bladder that never really grew to a normal capacity.

chiaochai said:
maybe you should have a plan for you

mine is a combination of autism and ehlers danlos syndrome
I was born this way to but ended up with having nerve damage that made it worse.

LuvMyDiapers said:
Spinal cord injury leaving paralysis from C6/7 neurological level.
awww Im so sorry are you able to walk?

Lily said:
I’ve always wanted to believe that god’s plan exists, so that there is some moral contribution i am giving to society. If God’s plan was to wipe out 4 million people from this planet from a recent virus, I want out of gods plan.

My ic goes back when I was 16, severe car crash caused spinal damage, leaving me incontinent and also restricting me from doing things like bending over and overturning my hips when I stretch.

Lily 🌸
God has nothing to do with the virus and if you read His word you will find its not how it is suppose to come to pass. Don't be scared Lilly you will be ok.

Since I was born with Cerebral Palsy, and have an incontince since little kid.

Reactions: surprise35
Born that way with my disability. Knew by 3-4 I would never make it to the toilet in time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back