How did everyone work up the courage to buy diapers for themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosevolving

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The other day the cashier at the pharmacy asked me how I was and I said I would be better if I wasn't spending my day off running errands for other people (referencing the diapers). Don't know what he thought and I don't care. I said what I had to.

DitzyLurker

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Before I went into the store I said to myself, that if anyone asked I was getting them for my cousin on my way home. Not that my cousin is 15 or lives anywhere near me - but they don't need to know that.

I also use the self checkout.

skyfoxpup

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
...I have only bought from the vending machens

- - - Updated - - -

...I have only bought from the mechanized ones. The first time I was so worried some one was going to walk in...talk about a reason to have a heart attack

xtrabulk

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
In the end, courage had little to do with it. I was compelled. The Power of Padding Compelled Me!

But up til the point I was compelled, I was a nervous mess.

tall2826

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
It took me a while before I got the courage to do it. I did all this research and I literally drove myself crazy with the idea, until my desire got too strong and I just got them and after the first time it got a whole lot easier. I have not bought in stores in over a year so I have no idea how I will go down now.

timeywimey

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
I just bought diapers for the first time and I just went with my dads cloths and a Hood
Just in case I see someone I know. It was allot easy then i thought just went in and bought the baby stuff and went out
I came also with a book bag.

graceful

Contributor
Role
  1. Private
what i do, either go late at night and do self checkout, or regular checkout if that isn't available, the key is to walk into the store holding your phone and pretend like you are picking them up and what not while you are paying for them, selecting the type, etc. Now, though, after seeing how baaaaaad store bought diapers are, I've been buying online, abena's and abu cushies and what not, you can do it too, just tell your parents its a new jacket or computer screen or books etc, just make up some random story.

LittleT

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Just bought my first pack today of goodnites. Man was I a wreck but I didn't let it show, went to superstore cause they have self checkouts and its really busy so I thought "it's so busy who would even notice?". Walked in, grabbed a basket and went straight for the baby section.

When I got there of course there were only a few people buying diapers and two employees so I walked around pretending to look at other things close by until they dispersed. It was taking forever which made me really nervous so I remembered I needed milk as well. Went and got the milk and by that time I had calmed down and told myself to just do it.

So I did. When I was in the self checkout line I clearly heard a guy behind me "whisper" to his buddy "that guys buying goodnites". I didnt react, just smiled to myself, with milk and diapers I realized that these items go together quite well :) that made me happy and nobody could say anything at this point that would discourage me.

Ryano

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
When I used to buy drynites from Boots as a teenager I was always terrified that some family or friend would be there like standing in front of me. But it never happened, but what always used to happen was you could guarantee the cashier serving me would be extremely good looking and I would turn beet red.

To be fair even now at the age of 28 whenever I go to buy wet wipes and powder i still get a little embarrassed at potentially having to explain it to a friend or relative.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I got tired of wanting and wishing and I had to try wearing a diaper. It was worth the stress. I think I was in my mid 20s. I'd used towels before that, but I needed the real thing.

Now I order Abenas and Bambinos online, but I buy my Depends at the store. My need to be diapered outweighs my worries at this point.

Dork

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The first time I bought diapers was probably around when I was 15. I did a lot of research to figure out what the best purchase would be(Depend fitted briefs: Overnight). I didn't have a car or anything, so I hoofed it, and I brought along a backpack to stash them in for the walk home. Like many of you, I was crazy nervous! I walked down multiple aisles. I stood in front of the diapers contemplating. They must have thought I was casing the place or something. Ultimately I just powered through it and bought the darn things. I remember two old were standing behind me in line, and one of them whispered to the other one about me being "too young for those".

Now I just buy online!

MOPaddED

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Understandably I'm less nervous about buying diapers in public than I am about buying sissy paraphernalia. Even still I made several reconaissance trips to local stores while lurking on Adisc to get an idea on what to buy, not counting a previous drive-by purchase of a Sillhouettes sample pack at Walmart. After learning I'd be able to fit into Goodnites I went to my usual discount grocery store and got my first bag. I liked how small the package was and how I could cover it up with other items in the basket.

My first Tena purchase had me feeling like someone thought I was robbing a bank though; I was unaware the medical supply place is used to lots of phone and online ordering and the people don't expect to see many walk-in customers

LilByte

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
The first time I bought diapers from a person not a vending machine I was scared to death. I followed all the tips I could find online plus came up with a few my self. I'd recommend buying baby diapers first because no one thinks there for you. After the first time it becomes allot easier. The first time I bought good nights was on vacation. I spent a night looking at a map of around the hotel I was going to be staying at, and memorized where every store that carried diapers in range of walking was. I picked a Walgreens as the best option. I spent the next night memorizing what to say to the cashier, and what to say if I was caught by a family member. any way every thing went as planned I'd write more but it take up a page. the tips I use now are.

If your going act like your buying for someone else (what i do.), and live with parents.
have cash already out before walking to register (make sure its enough that can be awkward)
have a paper with the diapers your buying written down along with other items already checked off; good idea to have a backup diaper example buy this diaper or this one if their out.(if an employ asks if you need help finding any thing then you can show them that or say no)
have a story memorized of what you will say as an excuse to cashiers. and be prepared to explain to any family/friends that might find out.
pick a place to hide the diapers before buying them.
Know how long it will take to get to the store, and back to the location you plan to hide the diapers at counting time in store.
Know where your parents/family will be or at least where they say they will be, and where they could end up. (example if there is a restaurant someone you know might eat at, and it's near a time they might eat; plot your trip around it.)

After you've bought them, and got them home. write down some where how many there are numbers only or have list hid in same place as diapers. If you think you've lost one, count them and compare against that number. I had one of the closest calls of my life when my mom found a used diaper in a bag ,but didn't know what it was. (I threw it away and just said it was trash from working on the house.) I thought I'd thrown all of them away however I hid one of the used diapers so well I forgot about it.

wow this post got long. there are probably more tips I just can't think of them atm and I have to get offline.

Last edited:

Mentos

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
The few times I've worked up the courage to go buy diapers at a store was going to Walgreen's around 11PM and buying some depends when the store was pretty much dead empty except for the employee's working.

Almost had a panic attack. >_<

Now I have my own apartment fortunately and I can just order them online. :D

Gsmax

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
After having the urge to buy and wear diapers build up inside for 4 years, I just snapped and went on impulse. I just told myself I was going to get them, walked in as fast as I could, grabbed the diapers and paid for them using the self check out as fast as I could before I could let the fear of getting caught stop me.

universaloop

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I think its just like jumping into a pool, you know its going to be a cold shock at first but after you will enjoy yourself.

One of the first diapers I bought were the depends maximum fitted protection (the older kind that was plastic and had 6 tapes) I was around 16 at the time.

Now I don't have much problem, been using the tactic of just not over thinking it or thinking about it at all while I'm buying them. Of course this is tough but it helps calm me down. I don't know..... you just gotta try.

I actually got caught stealing adult diapers and charged... lol. That made for an interesting court appearance....

Last edited:

whiskeybravo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It got easier, at least for me, as I started accepting that it's (for lack of a better term.) part of who I am. Few people are going to care much what you buy at a drugstore, so I just dealt with it, before I quit using store bought disposables, I was pretty ok with nipping into a CVS to buy a pack. Whereas 10 or so years ago, I was terrified of it. After I discovered that cloth diapers are so much better, and the disposables are better at online stores, I haven't been in a drugstore since.

Zpeed

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I went in the store, asked for the diapers I wanted (if unsure, call them first and ask what brands they carry), pay and leave

dsmbaby

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
so tonite was the first time i bought diapers. i just went into the store picked them out. i got to the register and alos asked for a pack of smokes. i did not care what the lady thought behind the counter. the only thought in my mind was what they were going to feel like when i put one on. no fear, if it is something that you truly love you will put your game face face om and say challenge accepted. i now know that i can go in and buy them when ever i want to. and i plan on doing more times to come.

IronRoyal

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I have to say that the tips that other people have shared so far really worked in my case as well.

I still am using store-bought disposables, not having the income for the higher quality online brands nor having had the time to experiment with cloth diapers. So trips to the store are something I've done fairly often.

In general, I:

<> Have a list (this builds an atmosphere of "every day shopping trip")
<> Select my preferred brand quickly and nonchalantly (to portray an attitude of "no big deal")
<> Use a self checkout when possible
<> Have a friend accompany me when possible
<> Have my payment ready
<> Put my "you better take a step back, I will cut you" game face on! :D

Folks are right, the more relaxed you can make your body language, the less you will draw people's attention. They'll realize, even if they see you, that you don't care about their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.