How common are diapers among furries?

neophyte

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hello! I am not overly familiar with the furry world but being a bit of a nerd I have seen furries many times and know that they have been around for decades.

So, are diapers a common thing with furries? Or are diapered furries like a 1 in 20 thing? Are some furries not even aware of diapers being a thing? Are diapers worn for convenience because it's hard to use the washroom at con's, or is is a mixture of pleasure and convenience?

Sorry for all the questions! Just trying to learn a bit :)

Reactions: DiaperBoyMD, Lennardman, KonekoKiwi and 1 other person
I know it is a thing and there's a degree of overlap to the extent that we're starting to see Tykables et. al. have con booths. I saw about 10-20 ABU hats per day at last year's MFF. As a fun activity to do while waiting in the giant pre-reg. line, I tried to ID padded rears. Counted quite a few (1 in 5 maybe) that I suspected might be wearing.

The main reason I'd guess is for pleasure, rather than convenience. Though convenience is non-negligible. I have not worn to a con, mainly because (a) there are plenty of washrooms, (b) I don't fursuit, and (c), it's just another thing to worry about in the hectic, fast-paced conventions.

That being said, I'm not at all opposed to mixing the fandom with diapers.

Reactions: JWolf, neophyte and KonekoKiwi
neophyte said:
Hello! I am not overly familiar with the furry world but being a bit of a nerd I have seen furries many times and know that they have been around for decades.

So, are diapers a common thing with furries? Or are diapered furries like a 1 in 20 thing? Are some furries not even aware of diapers being a thing? Are diapers worn for convenience because it's hard to use the washroom at con's, or is is a mixture of pleasure and convenience?

From my experience at TFF and MFF, there's a bunch. 5-15%ish (my guess) of the overall convention. There's been actual statics done on this before, and I can't remember the exact number.

There's a good chunk of the cons are either cub, cub friendly, etc.

Cons like TFF have 10+ programming hours of cub specific programming. MFF is just starting to have cub panels. I know at leave 2 hour long panels have been submitted for this year. Hopefully we'll hear soon about those.

The first cub panel at MFF this last year was crazy. They filled the room to capacity, so the people that couldn't get in, found a room next door and took it over, and other people in the hall ended up being turned away when both the room filled up. There was a few hundred people there.

Panels at TFF include: Diaper Panel, 24/7 discussion, story time, Cub Corral (basically day care for 4 hours), and more.

But yeah, as you're going around, you'll see tons of people wearing clothing that makes it very obvious that they're probably padded.

Plus the art. There's a ton of people you'll see walking around with cub art badges. Art of their character that's wearing a diaper. People don't even bat an eye. I've seen many non cub people even comment on how cute the art is.

There's an artist named Marci, that many people associate with cubs. Many people can tell her style, so if you see her art, you can usually find a cub.

There's a bunch of other artists that are known as "cub artists". They do a lot of cub art. Jade Fox, Tavi, Marci, Apple Pup, Breezy, Kay, Lucca, Cobalt, etc. Seeing art of theirs doesn't always mean "cub" tho.

Reactions: LittleBabyJake, furry121, perlFerret and 2 others
neophyte said:

What is a "furry"?

The thing I've found most interesting about it is that the proportion of babyfurs/diaper furs in the furry community seems similar to the proportion of gays in the rest of society. I know these are not the same thing but within this subculture, it creates a similar dynamic of closeted vs. out and while BF/DFs were openly reviled by a lot of furries before, the acceptance has improved considerably with understanding. This isn't to say there aren't rough patches but it has gotten better.

Reactions: Monster3579, skunk053 and SparkleAlchemist
CuddleMommy62 said:
What is a "furry"?

A furry is someone interested in anthropomorphic animal characters (characters with human personalities and characteristics.)

Examples of anthropomorphic attributes include exhibiting human intelligence and facial expressions, speaking, walking on two legs, and wearing clothes. The term "furry fandom" is also used to refer to the community of people who gather on the internet and at furry conventions.

Examples of characters: Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, etc.

You can be interested in the art, fursuits (costumes), cartoons, etc.

You'll see lots of avatars on this site of animal characters. Many, but not all of them represent a character that someone has created to represent them online.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, furry121 and Monster3579
neophyte said:
There's not really any specific association with furrys and diapers. It's just that the furry community tends to be a lot more kink-aware and open/accepting of stuff compared to the general population, so you'll see it come up more because it's much less of a taboo to discuss in the open. You'll also see tons of other kinks show up in relation to furries.

That said, clean babyfur art is pretty cute and unobjectionable even if you're not abdl. And then if you are abdl, I've found that abdl furry art is way better at portraying the idealized versions of things; much better than human models. Here's the abdl comic that actually got me into furry: https://www.furaffinity.net/view/13064945/

Reactions: WaddleKitten, EsbyBlack, NyaowOrNever and 2 others
in reality i'd say 15-20% are babyfurs/diaper furs yet there's also a division from those 2 catagories and normal furries called littlefurs which are depicted character age between 3-8 and usually aren't diapered though some are and that fits into more of the accepting nature of diapers and such. I myself am a furry, babyfur, diaper fur and a littlefur

Reactions: Monster3579
littlekyro said:
in reality i'd say 15-20% are babyfurs/diaper furs yet there's also a division from those 2 catagories and normal furries called littlefurs which are depicted character age between 3-8 and usually aren't diapered though some are and that fits into more of the accepting nature of diapers and such. I myself am a furry, babyfur, diaper fur and a littlefur
You got me wondering what the percentage are just diaper furs since Zoran ages with me(we’re both 28) and I’m just a DL and not an AB.

Zoran said:
You got me wondering what the percentage are just diaper furs since Zoran ages with me(we’re both 28) and I’m just a DL and not an AB.
well either way its a rough estimate based on popularity of both being high. I can hazard a guess based on searches but all I can give is a rough estimation

I don't know the exact number, but I've often heard the babyfur community (including related groups) is among the largest subgroups in the fandom. Walking around a convention, there are enough people displaying babyfur badges to know that the ratio is quite large, though most are fairly discreet otherwise and wouldn't be easily recognized by someone who isn't in the know. Based on experience and guesswork, I'd say at least 10% actively participate in the community in some way (even if they do so secretly), and at least double that have some interest in it (even if that's as simple as "some artwork is cute").

As for wearing at cons and events, I'd say maybe half those into it will actually do so, but the reasons are highly varied. Some do it for convenience, some because they simply like the feel, some because it's a relatively safe space to wear publicly, and some to connect better with their character. I don't generally wear to one-day events, but I often do at cons for pretty much all of the above reasons.

amperedragon said:
I don't know the exact number, but I've often heard the babyfur community (including related groups) is among the largest subgroups in the fandom. Walking around a convention, there are enough people displaying babyfur badges to know that the ratio is quite large, though most are fairly discreet otherwise and wouldn't be easily recognized by someone who isn't in the know. Based on experience and guesswork, I'd say at least 10% actively participate in the community in some way (even if they do so secretly), and at least double that have some interest in it (even if that's as simple as "some artwork is cute").

As for wearing at cons and events, I'd say maybe half those into it will actually do so, but the reasons are highly varied. Some do it for convenience, some because they simply like the feel, some because it's a relatively safe space to wear publicly, and some to connect better with their character. I don't generally wear to one-day events, but I often do at cons for pretty much all of the above reasons.
That’s amazing if it’s that much! a bit OT but I believed the lies that the furry world was open and inviting and had Zoran padded from the start when in reality I should have had it hidden like most but the only issues I‘ve had so far was with inflatable designers. I went to one for a design that had nothing to do with diapers and I waited for a month for him to start then the Second day in “I’ve changed my mind and longer feel comfortable due to the nature of your content” and blocked me with no chance to explain. The second artist blocked me just for asking him if he was ok about seeing diapers in my ref(it was the same idea and didn’t have diapers in it) and blocked but this time without him even replying to me and it lead me to the belief that diapers are pretty hated(at least in the inflatable community) I’m finding more and more that don’t mind though but I’m still scared to ask artists if they are willing to draw them or even look at my ref sheet.

Back On topic though I have a bunch of badges and even some for after 9 pm (they are adults in that)and I even made one for my custom pooltoy! ive worn to cons and I wore at Disneyland and under a kigurmi last Halloween and It was fun!

irnub said:
There's not really any specific association with furrys and diapers. It's just that the furry community tends to be a lot more kink-aware and open/accepting of stuff compared to the general population, so you'll see it come up more because it's much less of a taboo to discuss in the open. You'll also see tons of other kinks show up in relation to furries.

That said, clean babyfur art is pretty cute and unobjectionable even if you're not abdl. And then if you are abdl, I've found that abdl furry art is way better at portraying the idealized versions of things; much better than human models. Here's the abdl comic that actually got me into furry: https://www.furaffinity.net/view/13064945/

Im not a diaper fur myself but am considering. thankiew for the story to read, ive beeen really engrosed in it!

amperedragon said:

I fully agree its large because I myself am a babyfur, diaper fur and a littlefur as well as a furry

LilPawz said:
Im not a diaper fur myself but am considering. thankiew for the story to read, ive beeen really engrosed in it!
I'm glad you like it! I used to think that being a generally dysfunctional person was basically a requirement for being a furry. Seeing several years worth of the artist being a generally decent person and successfully navigating various life issues that would have flattened the furry stereotype I had in my head is what finally made me feel ok about admitting I was one.

If you like Shine, she also has another comic here that's a little more ab-oriented (though that's definitely not the central theme): https://www.furaffinity.net/view/5982520/ It's the first story I've ever read that actually made me cry at points.

• Love
Reactions: LilPawz
Zoran said:
That’s amazing if it’s that much! a bit OT but I believed the lies that the furry world was open and inviting and had Zoran padded from the start when in reality I should have had it hidden like most but the only issues I‘ve had so far was with inflatable designers. I went to one for a design that had nothing to do with diapers and I waited for a month for him to start then the Second day in “I’ve changed my mind and longer feel comfortable due to the nature of your content” and blocked me with no chance to explain. The second artist blocked me just for asking him if he was ok about seeing diapers in my ref(it was the same idea and didn’t have diapers in it) and blocked but this time without him even replying to me and it lead me to the belief that diapers are pretty hated(at least in the inflatable community) I’m finding more and more that don’t mind though but I’m still scared to ask artists if they are willing to draw them or even look at my ref sheet.

I think it's best to have a ref sheet that is completely devoid of anything objectionable, especially when said element has nothing to do with the commission in question. Mine are simply nude SFW front and back poses of my characters. Once you start working with an artist, however, if they decide to cancel because of other things you are into that don't relate to the project they're being paid for, that's really a problem on their end. I've always maintained a policy of "don't hide, but don't advertise" when it comes to my interests in that I'm not going to go sharing them if it's not relevant, but I'm not going to keep them tucked away where few can find it. So far, I've yet to have any negative issues resulting from such a policy. If you're not sure whether an artist is okay drawing specific content, check their TOS and gallery to see if they generally do/don't draw that, and if not ask up front. Worst you can get is a no, and if they're going to block you for asking they're probably not someone you want to work with anyway.

amperedragon said:
I think it's best to have a ref sheet that is completely devoid of anything objectionable, especially when said element has nothing to do with the commission in question. Mine are simply nude SFW front and back poses of my characters. Once you start working with an artist, however, if they decide to cancel because of other things you are into that don't relate to the project they're being paid for, that's really a problem on their end. I've always maintained a policy of "don't hide, but don't advertise" when it comes to my interests in that I'm not going to go sharing them if it's not relevant, but I'm not going to keep them tucked away where few can find it. So far, I've yet to have any negative issues resulting from such a policy. If you're not sure whether an artist is okay drawing specific content, check their TOS and gallery to see if they generally do/don't draw that, and if not ask up front. Worst you can get is a no, and if they're going to block you for asking they're probably not someone you want to work with anyway.
I actually do have another ref sheet that had the diaper not the main part and I actually went and colored it out but I feel shitty doing that and especially since an artist could look at my FA and see all my diaper stuff and that cause problems.im like you though and I don’t want to hide it since diapers are part of what makes Zoran him and I’m too far in to hide it By this point but When I look at most of these inflatable artists (both art and actual concept artists) I mostly see no mention of diapers and I’m very timid and afraid of pissing people off but I’m trying to get better at it And I’ve been told no but not blocked but it still makes me sad. Sadly with these 2 artists I was willing to pay a couple hundred dollars for the idea to get drawn out but the first person I believe is a pop(no pun intended) fur and simply didn’t want to be associated with me diaper or not and the second guy I’ll never know but he did his via 3D modeling which I thought would have made it easier for a company to use and I have friends that not only got designs from him but actually got inflatables made and they look great!

It’s probably shitty of me but my goal now is to turn the inflatable community on its head and get things made with diapers on them and become well known for it! But for The most part this community is the most chill and open one I’ve ever met and I appreciate it deeply!

amperedragon said:
while having that is all well and good I prefer ref sheets that have a character's backstory vital stats and more that tell people what type of individual you want your sona to be

littlekyro said:
while having that is all well and good I prefer ref sheets that have a character's backstory vital stats and more that tell people what type of individual you want your sona to be

I keep that information in a separate bio for the character. If an artist wants it, I'll gladly supply it, but I've found many prefer a basic visual ref and only want extra details if it relates directly to that particular piece. One with full details is definitely better for showing off the character, but it may not be the best option as a commission resource.

I've noticed there is more than I actually thought there would be. I searched it on Fur Affinity, and was surprised at how much art there actually is, and that is just one website, so I would assume there are a surprising amount of them

Back