How can we normalize the abdl lifestyle?

PCBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
Some Ab's do actually want the humiliation of being seen in public as babies. i know of at least one group on fet life and no I'm not a member, what mummy and I have is for when we are together and whilst she might quietly tease me when we are out and about she would never humiliate me or wear anything inappropriate in public. Slightly different topic what I have difficulty with is why when my Fiancee cleans and changes me it's ecxiting but when mummy does exactly tyhe same thing in exactly the same it's just loving and nurturing, not in the least exciting, in fact i'm likely to stick thumb in mouth and hug Winnie or Tigger. I've even been known to start to go to sleep during a mummy change. go figure.

Sidewinder

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Other
Some Ab's do actually want the humiliation of being seen in public as babies. i know of at least one group on fet life and no I'm not a member, what mummy and I have is for when we are together and whilst she might quietly tease me when we are out and about she would never humiliate me or wear anything inappropriate in public. Slightly different topic what I have difficulty with is why when my Fiancee cleans and changes me it's ecxiting but when mummy does exactly tyhe same thing in exactly the same it's just loving and nurturing, not in the least exciting, in fact i'm likely to stick thumb in mouth and hug Winnie or Tigger. I've even been known to start to go to sleep during a mummy change. go figure.
Very interesting...

The thought had at one point, occurred to me, that there are those who in one form or another, have been victims of bullying that actually WANT to be bullied.

Although they may consciously say they don't want to be bullied, they subconsciously CRAVE it.

The depths of the unconscious mind are greater than that of the conscious mind, just like an iceberg is more under the ocean, than above it.

The Austrian psychiatrist, Dr. Sigmund Freud studied this back in the early-to-mid 1900's.

BobbiSueEllen

A sweet n shy AB-t girl
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Which isn't odd, because Freud also advocated blaming parents for one's woes...

Last edited:

Sidewinder

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Other
Canada on the whole is awesome! They might find you odd but they generally do not rag on ya. Or "rip a strip off of you". It's a great place to be AB/DL!
Even so, there will always be the kind of people who are such intolerant, closed-minded, judgemental bigots, regardless of the country they hail from...

Even in Canada.

All I'm saying is that the whole world, in and of itself, has a diverse assortment of both nice people, AND mean people.

Last edited:

SillyLiam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Little
We've seen a lot of normalization with different groups of people in the last few decades like LGBT. Will we see that for ourgroup?

How could we? Should we try?

Maybe we can take over the world with rubber duckies. Sorry bad joke.

Maybe we can start by normalizing some of our clothes like bring back the onesies?
I think that normalization is possible, but before that, the ABDL community will need to gain a decent amount of acceptance from society. In order to gain acceptance, we should focus on improving ourselves (i.e. Treating others with respect, listening to what others have to say, doing something considerate for someone, etc.) By doing this we'll be shedding a positive light on the community.
I'm also defining normalization as being able to openly talk about being an ABDL without consequences.

BabyGurlAlexa

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little
I tend to agree. Sexualizing diapers, baby paraphernalia, and similar things, while in no way victimizing anybody, is understandably uncomfortable for the average "normie," not simply because it appears to be something it isn't, but because it runs counter to the conditioning we all receive as children.

I always chuckle a little when people draw comparisons between ABDL and LGBT. I imagine a world where we're all born gay and then straight-trained, only some of us fall back. It doesn't make any sense. As well, being gay comes with a very different level of social expectation. Gay couples reasonably want to express affection and be recognized as couples in public, for example. On the other hand, I don't often hear many ABDLs expressing a wish to go out in public in full-on baby mode. Of course, that's due in part to an expectation of ridicule, but I also doubt that many ABDLs consider indulging in public to be a major benefit of acceptance. For ABDLs, the definition of success would seem to be tied more to acceptance by family and friends, and the ability to indulge care-free while at home or otherwise in private. Those who actually want to (or do) indulge in public seem (to me) to be a very tiny minority.
It isnt sexualising for everyone it can also be a comfort thing/coping mechanism

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy
It isnt sexualising for everyone it can also be a comfort thing/coping mechanism
Very much understood, but public perception won't acknowledge comfort while sex exists. It always finds the shortest path to outrage, offense, disgust, etc., and extrapolates from there.

BobbiSueEllen

A sweet n shy AB-t girl
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Even so, there will always be the kind of people who are such intolerant, closed-minded, judgemental bigots, regardless of the country they hail from...

Even in Canada.
Oh, I know that. I've ran into a few oilers up there who were coarse, judgmental and even freely used the 6-letter N-word...and that made me cringe, just as much as I hear Americans use the 5-letter N-word. Despicable. But on the whole, Canadians are a whole lot more tolerant than Americans...and that I know from personal experience...

Back after an AB campout ended there, we all stopped at a Tim Hortons on the way home; while waiting in line for an XL Double-Double and jelly Timbits, I got a tap on the shoulder from a woman and her husband. I turned around, got a very sweet look from her and a chuckle from him, even Becky at the register gave me a wink and a smile: at the time, I was wearing denim shortalls (with snaps in the inseam) with a very boyish striped shirt, high-top shoes...and in doubled Attends, which weren't visible but nonetheless, I was thickly diapered. But no leers, no snippets, no snark. Could anyone imagine that degree of peace in the US?

The question answers itself. All in all, it was a good time up there.

Last edited:

RubberJin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
First off I think all differences are becoming more accepted as society progresses and the internet exposes people to more diversity, lets them see that everyone is a bit weird and that's OK. Every generation gets a little bit more tolerant, although there's always a few arseholes who make a lot of noise... on the whole, society is definitely getting more accepting.

On the whole "pedo" thing, well that is an understandable prejudice for people who don't know any better and the community just has to deal with that calmly and politely... remember not so long ago the same assumption was used against gay men quite regularly.

A lot of it is/was born out of a lack of understanding, information, positive exposure, etc.:

Start from the very old days where men were men, women were women, we all did what the bible said (or at least, what the church claimed the bible said) and any deviation was a dangerous and sick abomination to be ostracized. So, if you were LGBT+++ anything you either kept quiet or had a very bad time - you never met or even heard of any other folks like you because they all kept quiet too, and because there was very little communication outside your village to bring such information, and because anyone else discussing it risked persecution... so it was easy to repress people and easy to stop such information spreading.

Fast forward a few centuries and people can talk and exchange ideas freely and anonymously online (and before that, via magazines etc.), people have had decades of exposure (to varying degrees) to openly LGBT+++ people in life and also on stage, screen, music, etc. and that helps normalize it and also shows that prejudices are unfounded.

In my lifetime being gay has gone from being legal-but-heavily-stigmatized to pretty much fine and very few people care. Other differences, like being trans, disabled, having a mental illness, etc. etc. are following the same trajectory albeit they're all going at different speeds starting from different places. Gay and lesbian couples can now get married and have kids where not so long ago the idea of a gay couple with a child would be a matter for police intervention in many people's minds.

Having a fetish or paraphilia (sexualised or not) like ABDL is a little further behind on the acceptance trajectory but it's still moving in a positive direction as people are generally getting more used to being more open & relaxed about sex & relationships - like it or not, the success of "50 shades of grey" was a solid example of things being far less taboo than they used to be, even if everyone claimed to be reading it ironically :rolleyes:

Likewise, another piece of trashy culture - Sex In The City - popularized the idea that it's OK for women to masturbate and own a sex toy. Although that idea was growing steadily, that show gave a massive boost and all of a sudden you couldn't move for rampant rabbits.

As attitudes shift, these differences are more and more likely to crop up in popular media (film, TV, music) which then reinforces and normalizes it even more and accelerates acceptance - so as time goes by, the more progress happens more quickly. It took ages for being gay to become legal, and after that point it was relatively much quicker for it to become acceptable and even normal.

Once people have gotten over the "big" part of their stigma and admitted the "other" person is probably not a freakish monster, the rest of it comes falling down more easily.

Will it ever be normal for an adult to wear baby clothes in public or shit their pants for fun? Probably not, but it may well be that society chills out enough that no-one is going to give anyone else a hard time about it.

PCBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
Rubber Jin said "So, if you were LGBT+++ anything you either kept quiet or had a very bad time" unless you happen to like being burnt at the stake or more likely hung!!

BobbiSueEllen

A sweet n shy AB-t girl
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Very much understood, but public perception won't acknowledge comfort while sex exists. It always finds the shortest path to outrage, offense, disgust, etc., and extrapolates from there.
American culture seems obsessed with sex. Advertising, entertainment, personal expression. It's one big reason why I am asexual...but not the biggest reason. Seems there's too much social expectation in the everyday deluge.

PCBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
Whilst as an adult I'm Bi as a baby or little (anything from 6 months to 3 years depending on emotional state) I'm totally non sexual. And again how do you explain that to "society". Or to turn the conversation on it's head what if the societal norm was being either an ab or a dl of any gender or orientation and those that didn't conform were ostracized. How would we deal with them? Do unto others as you would be done to and take the beam out of thine own eye before you take the mote out of mine, whilst biblical are both rather apt.

BabyGurlAlexa

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little
First off I think all differences are becoming more accepted as society progresses and the internet exposes people to more diversity, lets them see that everyone is a bit weird and that's OK. Every generation gets a little bit more tolerant, although there's always a few arseholes who make a lot of noise... on the whole, society is definitely getting more accepting.

On the whole "pedo" thing, well that is an understandable prejudice for people who don't know any better and the community just has to deal with that calmly and politely... remember not so long ago the same assumption was used against gay men quite regularly.

A lot of it is/was born out of a lack of understanding, information, positive exposure, etc.:

Start from the very old days where men were men, women were women, we all did what the bible said (or at least, what the church claimed the bible said) and any deviation was a dangerous and sick abomination to be ostracized. So, if you were LGBT+++ anything you either kept quiet or had a very bad time - you never met or even heard of any other folks like you because they all kept quiet too, and because there was very little communication outside your village to bring such information, and because anyone else discussing it risked persecution... so it was easy to repress people and easy to stop such information spreading.

Fast forward a few centuries and people can talk and exchange ideas freely and anonymously online (and before that, via magazines etc.), people have had decades of exposure (to varying degrees) to openly LGBT+++ people in life and also on stage, screen, music, etc. and that helps normalize it and also shows that prejudices are unfounded.

In my lifetime being gay has gone from being legal-but-heavily-stigmatized to pretty much fine and very few people care. Other differences, like being trans, disabled, having a mental illness, etc. etc. are following the same trajectory albeit they're all going at different speeds starting from different places. Gay and lesbian couples can now get married and have kids where not so long ago the idea of a gay couple with a child would be a matter for police intervention in many people's minds.

Having a fetish or paraphilia (sexualised or not) like ABDL is a little further behind on the acceptance trajectory but it's still moving in a positive direction as people are generally getting more used to being more open & relaxed about sex & relationships - like it or not, the success of "50 shades of grey" was a solid example of things being far less taboo than they used to be, even if everyone claimed to be reading it ironically :rolleyes:

Likewise, another piece of trashy culture - Sex In The City - popularized the idea that it's OK for women to masturbate and own a sex toy. Although that idea was growing steadily, that show gave a massive boost and all of a sudden you couldn't move for rampant rabbits.

As attitudes shift, these differences are more and more likely to crop up in popular media (film, TV, music) which then reinforces and normalizes it even more and accelerates acceptance - so as time goes by, the more progress happens more quickly. It took ages for being gay to become legal, and after that point it was relatively much quicker for it to become acceptable and even normal.

Once people have gotten over the "big" part of their stigma and admitted the "other" person is probably not a freakish monster, the rest of it comes falling down more easily.

Will it ever be normal for an adult to wear baby clothes in public or shit their pants for fun? Probably not, but it may well be that society chills out enough that no-one is going to give anyone else a hard time about it.
As a transwoman i still get hate and comments regularly and I have come to accept those are my just desserts.

BabyGurlAlexa

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little
American culture seems obsessed with sex. Advertising, entertainment, personal expression. It's one big reason why I am asexual...but not the biggest reason. Seems there's too much social expectation in the everyday deluge.
I thought Americans were quite illiberal on sexual matters due to the high Christianity percentage. The UK where im from is a lot more secular

RubberJin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I thought Americans were quite illiberal on sexual matters due to the high Christianity percentage. The UK where im from is a lot more secular
The Americans are mostly quite moral (they're still a very religious nation) from what I've seen, the UK are less religious but still fairly up-tight compared to our European neighbours.

Of course there's towns / cities which are the exception in any country.

MakABDL

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think that will be something about 20 more years down the line, Mankind is still trying to figure out how not to destroy itself in more ways than one, We just have to bide our time with that.

StrangelyShapedTree

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
We've seen a lot of normalization with different groups of people in the last few decades like LGBT. Will we see that for ourgroup?

How could we? Should we try?

Maybe we can take over the world with rubber duckies. Sorry bad joke.

Maybe we can start by normalizing some of our clothes like bring back the onesies?
Would you all please just stop this BS? Why do you have to normalize it at all? What is wrong with keeping it to close friends and partners at most? It irritates me that so many of us actually want to change people's opinions about this. Why? What good are anyone's opinions? Everyone has one and they're usually shit anyway. *I don't want people making judgment calls on how I get my rocks off, good or bad, which is a trait that seems to be rare anymore, for whatever reason. Can we just leave it alone? Goodness...

/rant

Last edited:

PCBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
BabyGurl, I'm sorry you have to go through all that just because you want to be the person you are, whilst I'm not transgendered if you ever need an ear to rant in PM me.

MakABDL

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Would you all please just stop this BS? Why do you have to normalize it at all? What is wrong with keeping it to close friends and partners at most? It irritates me that so many of us actually want to change people's opinions about this. Why? What good are anyone's opinions? Everyone has one and they're usually shit anyway. *I don't want people making judgment calls on how I get my rocks off, good or bad, which is a trait that seems to be rare anymore, for whatever reason. Can we just leave it alone? Goodness...

/rant

Normalizing it in terms of it not being misunderstood on a Horrendous degree, There are things that could change about the way people see it, not Normalize but more of kill misconceptions of it "They fear what they don't understand, And they despise what they fear."

StrangelyShapedTree

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Normalizing it in terms of it not being misunderstood on a Horrendous degree, There are things that could change about the way people see it, not Normalize but more of kill misconceptions of it "They fear what they don't understand, And they despise what they fear."
Yes, but again, who cares what other people think about this?