How can I overcome the embarrassment of buying diapers at the store

Prairie said:
Keep doing it. Over the years I came to not care. Same for buying them from people off craigslist, I don't care anymore. About the only thing I'd be a little uncomfortable is selling them, but heck if I'd ever part with my stash!
Thanks for the support!

What worked for me is purposely wearing old gym shorts and shirts that were tight on me so that if people were to "check me out" to see if I was wearing diapers then they could see I wasn't wearing them... so in my mind, they would think the diapers were for someone else. Also, going to a different town helps too.

Reactions: DiaperGuy08
bambinod said:
As long as they have the machines adjusted! I tried using the self-checkouts at Walmart a few weeks after they went in, and it was a headache. I had to atomic-drop every item into the bag on the scale for it to see it, otherwise it would say "item not detected" and I had to hit the "just go to next item" button on the screen. After about 4 of those presses, the big light turns on and you have to wait for an associate to swipe their card. Mind you I had a full cart, so finally she just stayed there and swiped her card every 10 items or so.

They work a lot more reliably now, I haven't had a single problem with them in the last year or so.
This! Heres a funny story:
I was shopping at target and saw a cute shark one piece pjs in the boys section. I thought it looked like an xl from afar and went closer to see if it actually was an xl. Lo and behold, it was an xl and I happen to be able to fit in the target brand xl. So I took it to the self checkout and scanned all my regular stuff, heart racing at 100 miles per hour. However, when I went to scan the pjs a pop up appeared and said that an attendant was needed because the barcode wasn't recognized or something. I had a mini heart attack when I read that message and I could feel my face turning red LOL. The attendant came over and said "hmm that's weird, I guess we had taken this out from the system since it is on clearance. I'll make it a little bit cheaper to make up for the trouble!" So she manually put in the price on the tag and included the small discount and left shortly afterward. I was really embarrassed but it could have been so much worse if she had made any sort of comment about the pjs 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: TigerDL
People don't care . Everyone has to wear a mask now so that helps b

I know that feeling. I just play it cool and pretend your buying them for you grandmother or sibling depending on what diapers your buying. I haven’t bought at the store in forever. I always buy online now.

I bought diapers in stores before, but usually not where I lived. I could not care less about the other people or associates in the store.
What I did care about was the possibility to run into someone I know, or worse yet, to be seen by someone I know without me noticing
that she/he's there.

Other than that, I always told myself "You'll never see those people again. And if you do, you won't remember..."

Reactions: Wheatland
I used to get oddly excited when actually taking the bag to the counter....

In the UK they will sell you incontinence products VAT free if you have a disability. The shop near where I lived years ago used to take your name and address plus phone number which terrified me! It happened at other pharmacies I went too also. I remember driving to Chester from manchester which is 50mins clear driving to get a pack of Tena in around 2001 before I had internet access. It was very difficult to get adult products in the UK back then.

like Nike says... Just do it.. take yourself there.. take three deep breaths.. have any story if you like.. but put aside they care any more than they make the sell and go home.. they simply don't care

I’m very shy by nature and it’s been tough for me when it comes to store bought brands. I either do self checkout, or act as if I’m purchasing them for an elderly loved one. I prefer home delivery, and I do not care if the delivery driver knows or not, as they usually leave them at the door without even knocking or ringing the bell. I do not live in an apartment complex, so I’m not concerned with neighbors seeing if the package is not discreet. However, I am not in a situation where I live with parents or have to hide it from a significant other...that would bring another set of challenges.

I live in a very small town, and a lot of people know me. Therefore it can be very difficult.

Reactions: Wheatland
What works for me is If it’s a medical supply store I’ll buy masks and gloves as if I’m just buying a bunch of supplies and the pack of diapers is just 1 item. I used to be fearful like that .

I can buy in stores but one time when someone ask who uses the diaper I lied and I don’t like lying but I Was on the spot but if someone ask would you say that is for you, the part than I most scare is to find someone that I know

This is going to sound contrary to your desire, but enjoy the 'F' out of the embarasment and humiliation of buying diapers at a store. Burn all those experiences deep into your memory because it's exciting and scary and after a while it's just like buying milk or eggs and you wish you could get that thrill back.

Reactions: hti24 and DiaperGuy08
I'm not really into any aspect of embarrassment or humiliation, but I guess I have a touch of an exhibitionist streak, because if I was ever asked who I was buying diapers for (not that any such situation has or ever will happen), I would have no problem admitting they were for me.

I would never do anything crass or explicit like flaunt my diapers in public or bring up the topic unprompted to strangers - my kink/lifestyle is all my own private affair, but I guess that's what kind of makes it exciting when you end up in a situation to openly admit in so many words that you wear/need diapers and have accidents.

I tell my mum when any of my diapers or pants etc are coming as she’s at home all the time and take my parcels in
Most of my family know and I even have cloth diapers openly drying on washing line
A wet bed is more embarrassing than buying diapers

Reactions: CptKirk
bxtchPlease said:
Every time I think about buying diapers at the store i feel like they Are gonna make fun of me I have social anxiety and cant buy em can you guys please give me tips on it
The older you get the easier it becomes

Reactions: DiaperGuy08, BabyDavidMessiah and DLPJ
I buy my adult women’s diapers all the time. I don’t care what people think. I need my women’s diapers so I buy them.

This thread really stuck with me. I was about ready to order a month supply box of Luvs size 6 off of Amazon, when suddenly the entire product page was taken down. So angry because they work the best for my issues! But, eventually they'll be restocked. Anyways, another item in my cart were a 9x refill/pop tops of Pampers wipes. They were sold out too. So...I checked the inventory online at a nearby store, went for a quick drive this morning, walked around the store, as it's been a long time, went down the wrong aisle, but, I found the same pack of wipes! Placed them in the handbasket, didn't think a thing about them, scanned them, handed my basket to the girl after she said she could it for me, told her thank you, have a nice day and to stay safe. All with this big box of pampers wipes in my hand. Felt a little proud walking out of the store today. Midnight sneak into the house tonight, have them in a reusable grocery bag in my car right now

FudgedInLuvs said:
This thread really stuck with me. I was about ready to order a month supply box of Luvs size 6 off of Amazon, when suddenly the entire product page was taken down. So angry because they work the best for my issues! But, eventually they'll be restocked. Anyways, another item in my cart were a 9x refill/pop tops of Pampers wipes. They were sold out too. So...I checked the inventory online at a nearby store, went for a quick drive this morning, walked around the store, as it's been a long time, went down the wrong aisle, but, I found the same pack of wipes! Placed them in the handbasket, didn't think a thing about them, scanned them, handed my basket to the girl after she said she could take it for me, told her thank you, have a nice day and to stay safe. All with this big box of pampers wipes in my hand. Felt a little proud walking out of the store today. Midnight sneak into the house tonight, have them in a reusable grocery bag in my car right now

Well, can't edit, but think I'm gonna do the same thing later this week. The box I have my Luvs in has exactly enough space for one more pack, think I'll pick up a fresh pack of size 6! Don't know why my little side feels like it's coming out, but I feel like such a self sufficient and responsible boy! Still be watching Amazon like a hawk though

Back