How can I overcome the embarrassment of buying diapers at the store

I bought goodnites one time at target like 2 or 3 years ago. I just put on my headphones and listened to some music and added the pack to my other stuff in my cart. I was extremely nervous even while using the self-checkout. However, it was a pretty painless experience overall. Putting on headphones really helped to distract myself from paying attention to anyone around me. I also use the headphone strategy when buying alcohol since I still feel weird purchasing it. It helps a lot!

Reactions: Blathers
if you want to overcome the embarrassment of buying diapers in store you've got to except that it's all in your head, the only person that cares or will even notice you're buying diapers is yourself. Other people don't care you're buying diapers and that's the great thing. Good luck

Reactions: BabyDavidMessiah, TigerDL and Sheepies
When I first bought diapers at a store I was so paranoid about people noticing me that I stood pretending to look at the sanitary pads one shelf over for maybe 20 minutes. Eventually I just bit the bullet, grabbed a pack, and walked as quickly as I could to the self checkouts.

Today I was at Walmart and decided to see if they had anything worthwhile, and I just stood there browsing diapers with this random old man standing right next to me. It really does get easier the more you do it, I'd suggest just biting the bullet and getting it over with. You could go in the evening just before closing time to minimize the number of people who will see you.

bxtchPlease said:
Every time I think about buying diapers at the store i feel like they Are gonna make fun of me I have social anxiety and cant buy em can you guys please give me tips on it
Don't but them at the st\ore

Been there...I buy online 98% now so I don’t have to deal with the hassle.
when I was purchasing locally ,I decided that if asked about them I would just explain that I was running an errand for an elder family member. It’s really not anyone’s business what you purchase or who it’s for.
best bet ,buy online opt for discrete packaging and enjoy you newest treasure.

I as well have social anxiety. I over came it by thinking who cares what they think.

Reactions: TigerDL
Best way I know of to overcome anything is to just confront it (just do it) - once you have a few times, it's nothing.
And believe me - no one really cares anyway - they want to make money - they really don't care what you are buying or why.

Remember: The store has diapers, so the cashiers had expected someone to buy it.
I also recommend you to buy diapers at odd hours, so that you don't have to wait for the line and be able to make quick purchases.

Reactions: TigerDL and Sheepies
I have a lot of fun with it, and that usually helps the cashier relax as well. The other day I just walked up, set them on the counter and started saying that i was glad they had my size. One time after I paid, the cashier asked if I wanted a bag to put them in, and I said no, my diapers don’t embarrass me anymore. They just smiled.

Reactions: TigerDL, chamberpot, nwm and 1 other person
When you first start to buy and wear diapers its normal to feel self conscious about what people around you may be thinking but over time you realize people really don’t notice or care you are buying diapers. Most of our worries are self induced we think people notice the bulk, the crinkle or when buying diapers the notice the packs of diapers and then they start to look to see if we are wearing. the reality is you can walk to the bathroom carrying a premium diaper in your hand and 99% of the time no one will even notice.

People are wrapped up in their daily lives and unless you are going out of your way to be noticed what you have in your hands or shopping cart is a non issue :). It takes time to build confidence just keep reminding your self you have a medical issue and you need to buy and wear diapers ofer a short period of time you will stop thinking about what people may or may be thinking as most times its anything else but the diapers in your buggy.

Reactions: TigerDL and nwm
Just be relaxed. Nobody cares ot thinks that is for elderly.
Buying online is better solution, usually cheaper

Furrytum said:
I use the self service checkouts and always have my earphones in with some tunes playing.
You'd be surprised as to how the distraction of the music enables you to do things you may not otherwise have done.
I used self checkout to buy condoms once as I thought it would be less embarrassing. What I didn’t realise was it had a security sticker on and didn’t realise they had to be deactivated by a cashier. When I went to walk out the alarm went off. I turned around and there was a lady coming over to me, she said can I check your bag. She said oh condoms out loud and checked receipt to make sure I’d payed for them, then had to deactivate at a till then handed them back to me. Was so embarrassed, I just go to cashier now and not so bad if amongst other shopping.

I bought adult nappies from boots before and not really any different from buying anything else just got a friendly smile, at the end of the day they don’t normally know you so wouldn’t recognise you again

I did once get nappies from mobility shop and the lady asked if I was getting them for someone and if I’d got them from there before. I pretended they were for my girlfriend who had occasional accidents at night. She said I can apply to get tax free if it’s a medical issue. I said Ok I will look into it for next time

Seabear said:
I used self checkout to buy condoms once as I thought it would be less embarrassing. What I didn’t realise was it had a security sticker on and didn’t realise they had to be deactivated by a cashier. When I went to walk out the alarm went off. I turned around and there was a lady coming over to me, she said can I check your bag. She said oh condoms out loud and checked receipt to make sure I’d payed for them, then had to deactivate at a till then handed them back to me. Was so embarrassed, I just go to cashier now and not so bad if amongst other shopping.

Funny story, I bought condoms at the same drug store for a long time when I was dating a steady girlfriend,, first time I met her family I found out the cashier was her mother... nothing was said but I never bought them there again and I really don't think her mother ever saw me as one of her customers. So cashiers never really see you

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TigerDL, Seabear and BabyHailey1977
I usually only ever buy from a local medical store which stocks Tena Slip Maxi's, it's all I can really afford, and although I'm one of their much younger customers, they don't really seem to care there. Granted, I have paralyzing anxiety and my legs always start shaking like hell when I'm putting the packs away into my backpack(s). No conversation, just hand them over, pay, pack them up and leave.

The sense of relief after I leave the store every time is amazing.

Reactions: BabyHailey1977
I can guarantee you cashiers couldn't care less if you're buying adult diapers and will forget about you within minutes.

Make it easier by using self checkout

Reactions: Lilbabyboy2888 and BabySkye75
Sheepies said:
Make it easier by using self checkout

As long as they have the machines adjusted! I tried using the self-checkouts at Walmart a few weeks after they went in, and it was a headache. I had to atomic-drop every item into the bag on the scale for it to see it, otherwise it would say "item not detected" and I had to hit the "just go to next item" button on the screen. After about 4 of those presses, the big light turns on and you have to wait for an associate to swipe their card. Mind you I had a full cart, so finally she just stayed there and swiped her card every 10 items or so.

They work a lot more reliably now, I haven't had a single problem with them in the last year or so.

I still feel this high level of anxiety when buying diapers or pull ups ... I feel the same like someone is going to be judgmental about the fact I am buying them... I’ve just learned over many years IDGAF what people think anymore.

Yea no one really care. I had to buy some last night. I dont bother putting them in a bag. If worse comes to worse just tell them there for your if they ask. There really is nothing to worry about.

It doesnt bother me really anymore..years ago I was a bit nervous. I actually was buying a whole bunch of packs of plastic pants once back then. It was more the fact that I was buying so many packs to draw attention not so much the actual item I was purchasing. I was buying them to convert into larger pairs to put on .So I would need more to make bigger pairs... Nowadays you cant really find plastic pants available in stores anymore. People have said its because the diapers of today are so good at holding in leaks they arent needed and PVC is now no good to wear as a garment supposedly these days...Although its seemed they were used for decades before and everyone survived.

Keep doing it. Over the years I came to not care. Same for buying them from people off craigslist, I don't care anymore. About the only thing I'd be a little uncomfortable is selling them, but heck if I'd ever part with my stash!

Reactions: Screwball
Back