How bad is your fecal incontinence?

Kodname87

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Also should I avoid caffiene to not make it worse?

I have not had any noticeable issues related to more coffee / fecal accidents ... my incontinence issues are caused by nerve degradation.

The most common time I have fecal accidents is in the early morning ... I often have a sudden urge, sometimes I can make it to the potty in time, other times it starts coming out right away. There are occasions that I do not feel any urge, and it just starts coming out.

In a normal week I have 3 or 4 accidents in the morning ... I do have accidents during the daytime, but it is relatively uncommon right now. I rarely have fecal accidents in my sleep.

Last edited:
My fecial incontinence started out with a sudden need to go but I had a good 10 to 15 minutes to find a toilet, it slowly degraded to where it is now, and that is I shit myself the second I get any feeling of needing to go.

lonnie said:
My fecial incontinence started out with a sudden need to go but I had a good 10 to 15 minutes to find a toilet, it slowly degraded to where it is now, and that is I shit myself the second I get any feeling of needing to go.
Do you know the cause?

Caffeine makes no difference to my, I have spinal and spinal nerve damage which can't be rectified. Iwas doublyl incontinet until age 14 and now at 66 it's starting to happen again, the only thing that seems rto affect my bladder not my bowel is if I hydrate myself properly in which case I can go throu something like 16 changes in a 24 hour period. But my spinal problems now mean that I have a community carer come in. in the morning to help me with personal hygiene.

i almost always have a BM in the very early morning. I also have BM accidents later in the day too but not with frequency. I do have some when I'm sleeping, maybe once or twice per week. Usually I have the morning BM first then I get some coffee. Doesn't seem to effect me. I don't know if this is good or not but I mostly have pretty large and solid BM's (verses loose ones). How bad is my IC? Bad enough.

Mine is sporadic. I have IBS and when it acts up I can have an accident at any time. Most times I know when it is acting up...cramps lots of gas bloated feeling and can take appropriate measures. A few times it came on me without warning fortunately I was already wearing a diaper. It's why I am almost always in at least a pull up.

My initial incontinence began showing up to a small degree after a cervical spinal injury. It became slightly more active after the two level fusion surgery and went full blown after I had a gabapentin related seizure. I feel very fortunate not to have the pain associated with Chrone’s, IBS, and some of the injuries caused IC that others have mentioned as associated with their IC. Mine is due to problems with nerves not being able to control, sometimes not being aware that there was anything that needed control, regarding my bodily functions.

Hmm 🤔tough one , it comes and goes I haven't worked out the rhythm just yet.

I am to the point of having essentially no control. I am on a new treatment of Metamucil/Miralax that leaves me going without warning (but does fix other bigger issues) coffee is a stimulant and can cause things to happen sooner. I often have issues more than once a day so it’s “bad” lol

Geniusiq190 said:
I am on a new treatment of Metamucil.
This one has had diarrhea for many weeks. There was no noticeable treatment effect beginning with the maximum dose of Metamucil (five capsules four times daily for eight weeks). However, Metamucil potentially can ease the symptoms by making one’s poop firmer and slowing its passage through the colon. When the small intestine or colon cells are irritated, the typically relaxed and regular movement of one’s intestines can become overactive. As a result, essential fluids and salts end up being passed through the colon too quickly, with the body absorbing less fluid. The result is loose or watery poop, commonly known as diarrhea. Imodium A-D treatment began, allowing the body to start absorbing fluids and salts as it should, restoring the consistency of the poop. In addition, Imodium A-D slows the rhythm of digestion so that the small intestines have more time to absorb fluid and nutrients from the foods one eats. Unfortunately, Imodium A-D only lengthened the time between episodes. As a result, there was no noticeable change in diarrhea.

Back