Hillary Clinton as new Secretary of State

Status
Not open for further replies.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I have nothing to say...but wasn't foreign policy one of the few thing that her and Obama differed on?

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Has it been made offical yet that she will be SoS?

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I have nothing to say...but wasn't foreign policy one of the few thing that her and Obama differed on?
The only reason they differed greatly in foreign policy as far as I am concerned is that, Obama is black (obviously), so that gives us a better image for the situation we are in right now. Now no country can say that were racist! :D Which is good, because then other countries who are not sure if our intentions are good or bad, will now decide that were trying to do good if we elect a president while not looking at color.

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Gah. Having the Clintons anywhere near the government makes my skin crawl. Bill Richardson would have been a much better pick. The only real experience Hillary has in foreign policy is her "dodging sniper fire" in bosnia.

satyrical

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
The only real experience Hillary has in foreign policy is her "dodging sniper fire" in bosnia.
And, you know, being First Lady for eight years and going on hundreds of visits to other countries.

I personally think that she should have been given the Healthcare portfolio, but SoS should be fine for her. She really is too good to not put in a cabinet.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You know, being a pretty hardcore Republican, this will probably make my statement that much more eye-roll worthy ...

... but I absolutely hate Hillary Clinton with a passion in my heart. I don't have a good reason for it. I don't have any solid explanation as to why I hate her. I just think she's a selfish, self-centered attention sponge. When I see her face, it makes me want to break lightbulbs in my hands and eat the shards.

Anyone waiting for Rance to make his one uneducated pro-Republican comment just got their wish come true.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
And the republicans did so much for this country in the past 8 years, were just lucky there gone for a while.

Now say thank you Mr Bush for all you have done for us, then try and think of something he actully did to help the american people other than his wealty "Base" as he called them.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
And, you know, being First Lady for eight years and going on hundreds of visits to other countries.

I personally think that she should have been given the Healthcare portfolio, but SoS should be fine for her. She really is too good to not put in a cabinet.
Being a tourist is no foreign policy experience.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I know Condalisa Rice was a puppet for George Bush. What ever Bush said, Condi repeated word for word like she didn't have a brain of her own. It was really surprising because she is a lot more intelligent than Bush. As for Hillary, who knows. This is a "time will tell" answer. The U.S. is in the worse shape economically since the Great Depression, so there may be few good solutions for a long time to come.

Role
Other
I know Condalisa Rice was a puppet for George Bush. What ever Bush said, Condi repeated word for word like she didn't have a brain of her own. It was really surprising because she is a lot more intelligent than Bush. As for Hillary, who knows. This is a "time will tell" answer. The U.S. is in the worse shape economically since the Great Depression, so there may be few good solutions for a long time to come.
*Blink, blink blink.*

The GNP falls 9.4 percent from the year before. The unemployment rate climbs from 3.2 to 8.7 percent.
The GNP falls another 8.5 percent; unemployment rises to 15.9 percent.
GNP falls a record 13.4 percent; unemployment rises to 23.6 percent
Industrial stocks have lost 80 percent of their value since 1930.
10,000 banks have failed since 1929, or 40 percent of the 1929 total
Over 13 million Americans have lost their jobs since 1929 (US Population in 1930 is 122,775,046)
The free fall of the GNP is significantly slowed; it dips only 2.1 percent this year. Unemployment rises slightly, to 24.9 percent

Timeline of the Great Depression
I don't think that is quite that bad yet.

You do realize what the job of Secretary of State is, don't you? Once the President has made a decision, it is the job of the SoS to follow and promote that policy. A SoS that promotes their opinion over the Presidents isn't long for their job.

As for Obama picking or Clinton accepting the job, I think that they would both be very foolish. Obama will be conflicting with Clinton, and Clinton will probably have problems having to promote Obama's policy.

While Clinton's foreign experience is as a "tourist;" the First Lady doesn't wander around taking pictures of buildings and such. She would have met with world leaders and political leaders in the countries she visited. While it's been 8 years, she would still have some knowledge of what's going on, combined with her time as a Senator, it isn't the worst resume I've seen.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
So what? She met with world leaders. Big whoop. She was never an ambassador, never on the Senate foreign affairs committee, never even a civil servant. She has no experience in foreign relation aside from 8 years of being her husband's toy poodle. Why not pick Bill Richardson, who was United Nations' ambassador and SecEnergy? Why pick her? Obama whiffed on that one.

M

Mako

*Blink, blink blink.*
As for Obama picking or Clinton accepting the job, I think that they would both be very foolish. Obama will be conflicting with Clinton, and Clinton will probably have problems having to promote Obama's policy.
Someone who will challenge him and keep him from getting to absorbed in his own idea's. Conflict and decent can be a good thing, it keeps one on their toes and allows them to refine the flaws in their plans.

Role
Other
Someone who will challenge him and keep him from getting to absorbed in his own idea's. Conflict and decent can be a good thing, it keeps one on their toes and allows them to refine the flaws in their plans.
As long as they keep it behind closed doors, once a decision is made the SoS has to go with it like it was their own.

Mysterious

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
There's a saying, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. To me it just seems like a way for him to keep an eye on her.

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
So... Hillary clinton... And Barack Obama... Both in power... at the same time...

I'd state my opinion, but I'd get neg repped by a democrat.

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
There's a saying, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. To me it just seems like a way for him to keep an eye on her.
This is similar to what my take was. Moreover, Obama has tied Clinton's political fortunes to his foreign policy success. She has to do a good job, which makes him look good. If she doesn't, she'll lose any chance of political success. As it is, Obama would have to have a catastrophic first term for her to lead a primary challenge in 2012, and by 2016 she'll be kaput--too old to run a national election campaign. For her, it's an opportunity to have a significant impact. There was really no room in the Senate for her to hold a position commensurate with her current position. She's too junior to get the plum jobs in the Senate, but she won 18m votes in the Democratic primaries, more than any other senator has gotten (except, possibly, in California).

I'm inclined to think she has the skills and intelligence, and certainly the work ethic, to succeed. My concerns lie more with policy disagreements with Obama, as some of you have noted. They must present a united front to foreign leaders. And it's an important time to do so, what with Russia making waves in South America, China trying to develop nuclear-powered aircraft carriers for global force projection, and a need to repair the rents in America's soft power which have only gotten worse after eight years of treating the rest of the world as though it didn't matter.

At Naru: Not necessarily, but stating an opinion without backing it up doesn't mean anything. Why are you so strongly against a role for Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State? I didn't think she was the best choice for President, but I am not opposed to her as Secy of State (although, as others have said, I would have been more inclined towards Bill Richardson). John Kerry would have been a disaster.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
So... Hillary clinton... And Barack Obama... Both in power... at the same time...

I'd state my opinion, but I'd get neg repped by a democrat.
Since when have you let that stop you?

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
... but I absolutely hate Hillary Clinton with a passion in my heart. I don't have a good reason for it. I don't have any solid explanation as to why I hate her. I just think she's a selfish, self-centered attention sponge. When I see her face, it makes me want to break lightbulbs in my hands and eat the shards.
THANK YOU! Finally! Someone said it! She is everything you just said, and more. She is just SO blond, and she did shit when she was in senate, and she appointed one of her friends to a position in the govt. somewhere, and I will have to move to Canada at the rate this country is FAILING.

Status
Not open for further replies.