Hey there PRESIDENT Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
So he's been sworn in now, and he's giving his speech as I write this...What do you think about it?

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
I know we are in a moment of change, as he is still telling us. I feel that there is no question that Obama is the one that will bring this change into our lives.

F

FullMetal

He is the greatest orator living today and will go down as one of the greatest in history.

Amazing.

FullMetal

Role
Private
1. I'm pleased that no "national crisis" emerged that required use of an Executive Order to keep Bush in power.
2. I hope that Obama makes a clarion call for unification in this country.
3. If #2 (the call, that is) fails to come to pass by January 1, 2010, I hope we call for his (political) head in earnest. If this doesn't happen, I hope too that states start exercising their rights and cede from the union.
4. I hope that we may now hear in the echo-chamber of the news "PRESIDENT Obama" rather than "BLACK president Obama" or "FIRST black president Obama" or "Barack HUSSEIN Obama."

I think we cannot possibly do any worse (hopefully I don't eat these words later) but continue to see Mr. Obama as a one-term president. Hopefully effective, but hopefully one-term (to be replaced by a third-party candidate next, as outlined in another one of my posts here). He taught a constitutional law course, apparently, so God help him if he screws that up like our previous dictator plutocrat fearless leader.

Last edited:

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Wow...he made a really serious face right before he was sworn in :eek:

And I think his speech can be summarized easily as "Grow up and get your ass in gear" ;)

Peachy

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Well considering I am of conservative view I don't agree with many of his ideas. But he won fairly and he deserves respect as any president of America should get, its one of the hardest job's on earth.

But the swearing in doesn't make a great president, the actions he takes will decide how he goes down in history. And I'll personally give him as much slack as liberals have done with bush jr.

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Well, at the inaugrial event, conservative, right wing, fundamentalist, evangelical protesters were on hand in strength to give us and the world their view - Chanting "OBAMA - ANTICHRIST! OBAMA - ANTICHRIST! OBAMA - ANTICHRIST! OBAMA - ANTICHRIST!. Guess their looking for the man wearing the blue turban.

Whether or not he turns out to be a one term President , will not change the fact that we, as a nation, have to face the dire circumstances that we are in and dare to change them. We are at a crucible as a people; every one seems to have their hand out for a bail out, a quick fix. Seems like I've heard Obama qoute a lot of Martin Luther King Jr. - perhaps what we also need to hear is him quoting John F. Kennedy: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but for what you can do for your country." During times of great peril, most would like to cast blame, rather than be agents of change or solution. Our country, not Obama, will stand or fall, on what we do now.

Role
Private
Well, at the inaugrial event, conservative, right wing, fundamentalist, evangelical protesters were on hand in strength to give us and the world their view - Chanting "OBAMA - ANTICHRIST! OBAMA - ANTICHRIST! OBAMA - ANTICHRIST! OBAMA - ANTICHRIST!. Guess their looking for the man wearing the blue turban.

Whether or not he turns out to be a one term President , will not change the fact that we, as a nation, have to face the dire circumstances that we are in and dare to change them. We are at a crucible as a people; every one seems to have their hand out for a bail out, a quick fix. Seems like I've heard Obama qoute a lot of Martin Luther King Jr. - perhaps what we also need to hear is him quoting John F. Kennedy: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but for what you can do for your country." During times of great peril, most would like to cast blame, rather than be agents of change or solution. Our country, not Obama, will stand or fall, on what we do now.
Agreed.

Funny you should mention Kennedy.

I've been wanting to hear a "... we should dedicate ourselves to ..." speech from a US president for a good long while now. Especially if related to a STEM discipline.

Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur,
President Obama gives powerful speeches, and unites a lot of Americans. I think he will be a good leader for this country. However, all the spotlight and attention put on him has far surpassed any other president. He has been made into a movie star. I only hope this does not give him extra stress, I can only imagine the stress a president goes through, making tough decisions and having to worry about his family pictures in the news. Have you seen the before and after pictures of several US Presidents? They look 20 years older. He has surrounded himself with competent people to help him manage the issues, I'm glad for that.

I also think he is getting a warmer welcome because so many people did not like George Bush. Honestly, I am appalled at the mockery Bush received. These same people support Obama 100 percent. Regardless of who is the president, he is The Man, and you are to respect him. I only imagine if McCain had won, how many more young liberals would take up the fight to insult the President.

Role
Private
President Obama gives powerful speeches, and unites a lot of Americans. I think he will be a good leader for this country. However, all the spotlight and attention put on him has far surpassed any other president. He has been made into a movie star.
Perhaps. But the US President who most immediately comes to my mind with the words "movie star" was a two-termer.

I only hope this does not give him extra stress, I can only imagine the stress a president goes through, making tough decisions and having to worry about his family pictures in the news. Have you seen the before and after pictures of several US Presidents? They look 20 years older.
Apparently, Kennedy was doped up on amphetamines and all sorts of drugs for most of his days in office, according to a History Channel show ("The Presidents") this morning. His personal health was atrocious (something I didn't know) and was kept very VERY quiet. But, yes, having a position that is so weighty in its political, social, and ethical ramifications had damn well better age someone - if not, then we've elected a sociopath.

I also think he is getting a warmer welcome because so many people did not like George Bush. Honestly, I am appalled at the mockery Bush received. These same people support Obama 100 percent.
I don't think mockery is the word best used here. Disdain, distaste, horror, disbelief ... these are likely better words. We re-elected him, after all, and fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me (I blame us for the second go-round).

Regardless of who is the president, he is The Man, and you are to respect him.
I respectfully disagree, and think this notion constructs an environment that runs contrary to the founding of the USA. (See another post for the details)

I only imagine if McCain had won, how many more young liberals would take up the fight to insult the President.
Yes, someone will always have issue with the President. And this is a good thing. If, for example, Ron Paul had won I would take it as a bad thing if no one were complaining. Just as I'd take it as a bad thing if no one were cheering. Think this through: if no one had (public) issue with the President, it means one of a few things:
  1. Dissenters have been shot.
  2. Dissent is outlawed.
  3. People are too busy/stupid to have an opinion.
  4. News of dissent has been crushed.

The thing that is forgotten in leadership is that there are two sides: leading and following. Both are necessary components of the relationship. Bush royally screwed up as a leader, but we let him get there (again, second-term) by our inaction as followers. Hopefully if nothing else, there will be no further Signing Statements of the kind we saw in the past 2 terms - or if there are, we will have political heads on platters. OR we will decide that we want to shift government forms officially.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
I got to see his speech and the swearing-in at school on TV. :D It made me happy.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I got to see his speech and the swearing-in at school on TV. :D It made me happy.
Same, but I didn't watch. Why? Because I find it absolutely ridiculous that our Canadian schools pay more attention to the American president, than it does our own government.

But back on topic, I just learned about how the swearing in works, kinda cool.

Yay president Obama. ^.^

Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur,
Because I find it absolutely ridiculous that our Canadian schools pay more attention to the American president, than it does our own government.
I have to say, I was shocked to find out from my friends in other countries that the American Presidency is big news! I've never paid much attention to who is Prime Minister of other countries, I couldn't even name many leaders of other nations. It's just not big news where I'm from. Even over in New Zealand, people were watching the US Inaguration. I find that fascinating, but I wonder why we don't get to learn about other countries' officials.

Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur,
Not in this country...
I suppose not, and it really is unfortunate. You can disagree with his policies, and of course debate your side, but when you start wearing buttons that say "Not my President" and laughing when he is attacked overseas, it becomes hatred and is rather disgusting. America was built on several freedoms, free speech being one of them. Don't abuse it by insulting or defaming the President who allows you to uphold that freedom. When I say "you", I speak generally, not personally.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I suppose not, and it really is unfortunate. You can disagree with his policies, and of course debate your side, but when you start wearing buttons that say "Not my President" and laughing when he is attacked overseas, it becomes hatred and is rather disgusting. America was built on several freedoms, free speech being one of them. Don't abuse it by insulting or defaming the President who allows you to uphold that freedom. When I say "you", I speak generally, not personally.
Hear ye, Marsridge. Well said, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.