Here's an idea: diaper exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanko18

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
So I thought of an idea. I do not know how practical it'd be or how willing people would be to mail stuff to other people, but maybe there would be a realistic way of getting this to work?

I had the idea of a "diaper exchange" where us ab/dl's could meet up and post what diapers we currently have on hand. Then other people could so the same. And we could all trade! This way it would be less expensive to sample new diapers and diaper products, and we would be able to communicate with like minded people rather than vendors. Also, shipping could be agreed upon ahead of time so as to be more discreet, or whatever else.

This is just an idea, but what do you all think? Any suggestions, other ideas, ways to make it work, so on and so forth? I'd like to hear them! :D

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
  3. Private
I find this idea unsafe because meeting up is a risk and just because you know someone doesnt mean they are friendly. I dont know how this idea would work.

soggyboy

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I don't like the idea of having to give my name and address out so strangers can send me diapers. It opens up a whole new minefield.

spanko18

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
That was my main issue with this idea. I was hoping someone may have an idea on ways around that?

Perhaps there could be an intermediary channel, such as the website's moderators or something? Maybe establish it as a legitimate business that generated income by taking 5% off the top, charging a one time joiner's fee, or posting ads on the side of the page? This way if they did do anything fishy it would be made known. Or user's could give reviews of other users, sort of like Amazon.com, and then you'd know prior to even speaking with them? It might be a bit of a "thing" to get sorted out up front, but sooner or later it would flow smoothly I think. Maybe? Lol.

Just ideas.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I think diaper trading is a fine idea, international or interstate postals seem perfectly safe, for those that are a bit worried/extremely shy surely receiving at a post box number would be fine.

I would handle meet ups in person the same way we do for new roleplayers.... Meet up for a coffee in a public area first, exchange phone numbers by text face to face and take it from there.

FauxPas

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Other
It could go down like a shady drug deal....
"Alright, we'll make the drop at the park near the large oak tree, make sure you are not followed and no wires"

"You got the bambinos?"

"Yeah, you got the cushies?"

"Hey, wait a minute these aren't bambinos, these are depends, what kind of fool do you take me for?"

I could totally see something like this happening.

Fascinating

Fascinating Lady - Fantastic in Plastic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
It could go down like a shady drug deal....
"Alright, we'll make the drop at the park near the large oak tree, make sure you are not followed and no wires"

"You got the bambinos?"

"Yeah, you got the cushies?"

"Hey, wait a minute these aren't bambinos, these are depends, what kind of fool do you take me for?"

I could totally see something like this happening.

You are hillarious!

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
So I thought of an idea. I do not know how practical it'd be or how willing people would be to mail stuff to other people, but maybe there would be a realistic way of getting this to work?

I had the idea of a "diaper exchange" where us ab/dl's could meet up and post what diapers we currently have on hand. Then other people could so the same. And we could all trade! This way it would be less expensive to sample new diapers and diaper products, and we would be able to communicate with like minded people rather than vendors. Also, shipping could be agreed upon ahead of time so as to be more discreet, or whatever else.

This is just an idea, but what do you all think? Any suggestions, other ideas, ways to make it work, so on and so forth? I'd like to hear them! :D

Aside from the potentially large problems with your idea (like giving away personal information, and compromising intel about your activities to total strangers...)... I don't see any value in it aside from more hassle...

why? most diaper companies (not all, but most) sell samples - some sell them, the large companies often give them freely (including free shipment).
Medical supply stores usually have free samples too... and then there're internet shops who also sell individual diapers (like saveexpress who ships internationally and has been around for a long time and is trustworthy).
Now your idea, unless the people partaking in an exchange really live close by it will involve shipment of some sort.
If an intermediary person is used - it would need to be someone with an established grade of trust... and just from my point of view in todays modern internet world it would be a cold day in hell before I would decide to give my personal details like address & name to anyone aside from really established companies - especially when I would consider doing something I'd prefer to keep private.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I like the idea, but there are just a lot of security issues surrounding it.

why? most diaper companies (not all, but most) sell samples - some sell them, the large companies often give them freely (including free shipment).
Medical supply stores usually have free samples too... and then there're internet shops who also sell individual diapers (like saveexpress who ships internationally and has been around for a long time and is trustworthy).

And profit from it handsomely in my experience? Certainly here in the UK, I'm not really up for spending £3/$5 + postage* for two diapers, when in fact someone who has bought them in bulk at less than £1 a piece can do me a favour and ship it at "face value" so to speak; there's a lot more to be said about "community" there, which is what we are.

In response to what we're saying re: giving out names and addresses - you could work around that using these 'locker' type mailing couriers, like MyByBox or Amazon Locker. That way noone's address is disclosed, and technically their real name needn't be either. Certainly my nearest ByBox is about 10 miles away from my home, so good luck to anyone trying to trace me; but handy enough given I'm passing it frequently anyway. I have no idea what cost implications these things have, but the key would really be to have an 'intermediate' location that keeps both sides' privacy protected; it may not be financially feasible, but it's certainly possible.

In addition to FauxPas' comment - we're not a marketplace either. We don't want people giving negative rep because their "order" was "significantly not as described" :p

Things change though, and i'm a great believer in young enterprise :biggrin: I reckon if you come up with a good proposal for a) making such a scheme cost-effective to both 'parties', and b) ensuring the utmost privacy that is necessary throughout that process, it could be an online initiative in its own right (external to ADISC of course!)

I'll add this, as a reason why I commend you for your innovative idea...
A member of this site once gave me a few diapers, and asked for not a penny in return. He knew that for me, living at home with my parents, getting hold of diapers was nearly impossible; but he knew how much I wanted that experience of a 'real' diaper. He told me there was only one condition; I was to pay it forward. There are several DLs and ABs on this site who are in the position now that I was then, and yet I haven't done anything to pay it forward and give someone else that chance; because I have no idea how.

/mytwocents

D.

* http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abena-Abri-Form-Adult-Nappy-Premium-Medium-M4-Sample/291189794214

Last edited:

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other

And profit from it handsomely in my experience? Certainly here in the UK, I'm not really up for spending £3/$5 + postage* for two diapers, when in fact someone who has bought them in bulk at less than £1 a piece can do me a favour and ship it at "face value" so to speak; there's a lot more to be said about "community" there, which is what we are.

Dash,

Just musing:
say I buy my attends in BULK (which I do... usually a years worth of supplies or at least six months per single purchase. ... yes I save big this way... which is important to me, as insurance only covers a basic fixed amount that does not cover the entire cost).
So I go through the "troubles" (read: time) to buy my diapers, pay for shipment, have to store them, etc. etc.
And now, say you want some of mine because you have not yet tried this diaper (or you can only "store" a minimal amount due to privacy issues or whatever)...
Now you expect me, for the sake of "community" to sell you two (or five) of my diapers at the very price I bought them and charge you only what shipment actually would cost.
So the time I had spent sourcing the product, the storage and not to mention packing it up and bringing it to the post office, I should all do for free?
only so I can maybe get a diaper in return I haven't tried?

honestly I fail to see the virtue in this.

Also yes, a large importer / reseller needs to sell the product at a margin to make a profitable business of it.
Stuff like warehouses, logistics, business administration, etc... all cost a LOT of money... and without product margins there would be no resellers.
You as a customer will get the following "advantages" (from a trusted, well established seller):
- Guarantee of shipment (no fraud)
- Privacy concerns taken into account (including some legal obligation for privacy aspects such as not sharing your address, etc)
- No chance for a run in with a weirdo
- A vast choice of products
- lowest possible shipment rates
- discrete packaging
- ability to send / ship globally
- Secure handling of payments
- Get more easily if you want more (read: large stock)
- Return possibilities for defective products
- Insurance for lost transports
- Correct handling of tax forms, and insurance documentation (in case you need it for your health insurance provider)...

From a private person you'd have to take this into consideration
- Added work / time and complexity of using either intermediary services, locker accounts / etc... (hassle and not without problems, especially for international stuff)
- No compensation for your time and efforts if you ship
- no security for the shipment
- No legal basis in case something goes wrong
- Personal communication, payment possibilities (paypal isn't completely anonymous).

And the only "benefit" you'd have would be to save some small quid for the rare limited shipment of individual diapers
(assuming you don't stock up by the boat load, but rather buy / exchange individual diapers a few times a year...).
I mean you may save like 10$? a year?

And actually many of the big suppliers are willing to provide you with free (or really cheap) samples if you ask for them ALONG A REGULAR ORDER.
So for example, you order a box of your usual diapers and can get a good number of free (or very cheap) samples in the same shipment.
Problem solved.

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
  3. Private
short story, Highly security reasons and again just cause they are off the internet doesn't mean they are friendly. Good way of getting killed. Headline for a newscast.

"Deadly exchange for diapers"

Not joking matter I highly wouldn't find this even slightly interesting nor safe.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
say I buy my attends in BULK (which I do... usually a years worth of supplies or at least six months per single purchase. ... yes I save big this way... which is important to me, as insurance only covers a basic fixed amount that does not cover the entire cost).
So I go through the "troubles" (read: time) to buy my diapers, pay for shipment, have to store them, etc. etc.
And now, say you want some of mine because you have not yet tried this diaper (or you can only "store" a minimal amount due to privacy issues or whatever)...
Now you expect me, for the sake of "community" to sell you two (or five) of my diapers at the very price I bought them and charge you only what shipment actually would cost.
So the time I had spent sourcing the product, the storage and not to mention packing it up and bringing it to the post office, I should all do for free?
only so I can maybe get a diaper in return I haven't tried?

Close enough; although not necessarily 'free' so to speak. The member who gave me diapers was likely in a similar place; I know he in fact sacrificed luggage space for other important items for travel so that he could bring diapers to Scotland. Yet he still felt it "right" to give me diapers (that I never asked for, and never complained about not having) that he used his hard earned cash to buy and store before handing them to me.

I'm not saying your wrong - logistically speaking, you're absolutely spot on. I'm just saying, I don't think it's inconceivable that an exchange of sorts - again, almost certainly not as an open venture for ADISC - could become reality, IF (and only if) the right measures were in place, and the right entrepreneurial mind can take steps to address everything you've mentioned above. It may not be worthwhile to the individual wanting to set it up - depends how passionate they are - but I do believe it's possible.

If such a thing did exist, it's your right to say "I'm not getting involved in that, I've put a lot of effort into researching, buying and storing these diapers", and rightly so - whereas I would say different, because - although I too take the time to research, get the best out of what I can afford, keep these diapers well hidden, etc - I just want to help someone out because someone did that for me, and that kind of setup might be the answer.

*On a slightly different note - just forgetting about the diaper exchange for a minute - I'm assuming there are members here who can't get diapers for the same reasons I couldn't a few years back; living with parents, roommates, etc. Can anyone suggest how I can "pay it forward" as it were?

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
*On a slightly different note - just forgetting about the diaper exchange for a minute - I'm assuming there are members here who can't get diapers for the same reasons I
couldn't a few years back; living with parents, roommates, etc. Can anyone suggest how I can "pay it forward" as it were?

this is "simple" (well.. nothing's truly simple - everything is truly simple - all depending on the point of view of course)..:

But look at a prison - even "super-max" stuff... Inmates still get hold of "contraband" all the time... including serious drugs.... And those places are under a tight scrutiny / surveillance ... and still: Drugs, knives, cell phones (yes), etc finds its way into prison. And this isn't just a US-thing... it's a global "phenomenon".

So sneaking in / buying a few diapers whilst you're still at home should be something anyone should be able to tackle easily enough - one way or the other.

I'm a huge advocate of analysing practical problems in a "3-Dimensional logical"-approach... before you act, look at the problem from various angles... aproach it from different sides and think it through and play out the scenarios in your head.

To the "I live at home with my folks and need diapers"-problem there are a LOT of possible (super safe) solutions for both the sourcing and the storing problems associated with it.
Just as an example...
The Problem's outlines:
- Acquisition of the goods (ie. buying the diapers)
- Transportation
- Storage
- Use
- Disposal

So let's tackle the beast:

1) Acquisition
I see two basic routes here, one is Online shopping (with its own problems) and "physical" shopping at a store / etc.
Online can be simpler in terms of getting hold of almost anything. And in the day and age of the one-time use throw away prepaid master card (or visa) payment is simple and pretty easy, even if you don't have a "real" credit card.
Shipment: anything from pick up places to p.o. boxes... packing stations, etc... search the net, there's usually solutions within any larger city or mid-sized town or not far off.
So no need at ALL to have the goods shipped to your home place... (and remember to use "privacy modes" in the browser or clean the cache and history...)
But I find it simpler in the overall process to acquire the desired diapers at a medical supply store.
here it's simple... you don't need any fake bullshit story either... but you need some product research... go in ask for the product and if you've done your research you already know if they have them or not... (phone call, website, email ...) maybe even have them ready at the counter, prepacked.
Pay cash and leave (bring a backpack or duffle large enough if you go for an entire pack).
A lot of pharmacies, med-supply stores, etc... offer FREE Samples ... also a good way to get hold of just a few diapers.

2) Transportation
Duffle, Duffle Duffle bag.. beautiful duffle bag ;) (or large enough backpack).
If you are SUPER SUPER afraid of someone needing to see the contents of your bag,.. bring some nasty unwashed sports clothes... on top of the package and it will scare off even the most foolish inquisitors - but honestly, no one will bother.
If you have a car... easy... otherwise bicycles are nice... and if you're not a complete slouch sport wise, you can travel distances between 50-80km for a day (you can do a 100... but that's ambitious ;) ... so usually even the next town isn't completely out of reach... and it's a good excuse for a bit of exercise.
Also public transport shall be mentioned.
Make sure to "time" it with your parents schedule... so that chances are slim that you can come home without them being around... BUT HAVE A BACKUP PLAN...
( like a TEMPORARY drop off location (garage, behind the house...) so that you can retrieve it later)

3) Storage
Now that depends... if your folks are not respecting your privacy (maybe time for a talk??) and you don't want a suspicious padlocked army foot locker box... there's still some good options.
Keep only a FEW diapers (like really a FEW) at home... double. tripple bag them and hide them in bags inside old bags... (like put the diapers in a plastic bag, the bag inside a duffle, the duffle inside an old backpack and just stow it somewhere normal... Or get a small lockable box and hide this.. if you're being quizzed about - diary, personal stuff and talk about a bit of need for privacy.
What about the other 20 diapers from that expensive pack? throw them away? hell no.
here's different venues... if you've got an attic or a basement that is used for storage... and you live with siblings etc.. just box it up in a regular box and stow it somewhere... if that isn't safe because chances exist someone looks through the stuff - think about OFFSITE-Storage.
These days you can cheaply rent small space lockers at most so called "self-storage" facilities.
Prices vary... but if you only need a small box, it's usually pretty affordable. This way, you can go there, retrieve small amounts of diapers (or even just one) and your folks will never know.... mom can rummage through your room all she wants - all day long... your diapers (and other crap) is safe from prying eyes.

4) Use
Well just make sure for example that when you wear that you're not getting caught... stuff like putting on some track pants or whatever over the diapers at night.... don't walk around the house with a diaper on with your folks around.
And think about cleanup and disposal before you use them.

5) Disposal
Keep small sealed bags around (big zip-locks for example)... keep a no-see-through bag as well.
Use the diaper... seal it up... bag it in the no-see-through... put it in the backpack and dispose of it outside.

Just as an idea.. this way the risk of getting caught is about as low as it can get...
And you don't have to meet up or share stuff with strangers.

Andrewgdfw

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
ain't gonna work...hygiene and pay issues aside.
additionally, what's the point? I just don't 'get it'. Right now we can communicate with like minded people right here on this forum. Vendors are discreet and reliable...a stranger offering part of their stock ???? Who knows?

ManicMunchkin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I feel like this thread is taking the matter way out of proportion. As I understand the original proposition, the OP is only suggesting having the option of having a space to exchange diapers. Some people like to trade things. I've done it before with people I know from ADISC. If you aren't comfortable putting out your information, receiving a package from a stranger, or if you see the exchange as financially unwise, you don't have participate; I'm sure there are people who wouldn't mind at all. It doesn't have to be the best option, it's just an option. Really, it's no stranger or more dangerous than Craigslist or a similar service, and I'm sure plenty of us have bought diapers off Craigslists, Ebay, or an individual seller on Amazon. A simple way to do it would be to post a "have" or "looking for" type post and have interested people PM the user to arrange the details and exchange information, much like Craigslist does.

The biggest issues, IMO, are:

1) Whether the service would see much use. I can tell you right now Moo isn't going to open a new forum unless people show interest. A poll might be helpful.

2) Liability on ADISC's part. Currently, we have no restrictions on exchanging personal information and working out meetups, packages, etc. via PM. Indeed, people have already given away free diapers and other supplies using the forum. We'd simply be providing a specific space for those posts to go. Basically, we have an informal "buyer beware" policy, and while that seems sufficient to me, perhaps others see it differently.

3) The ephemeral nature of the posts. People's stocks are going to change pretty frequently, so posts about what people have on hand will only be relevant for so long. This isn't really a problem per se, but I could see it creating an environment in which there are tons of threads of varying usefulness, and the mods might see this as headache more than anything else.

4) Attracting people who are interested in using ADISC as a marketplace. That's not our goal; we are not Craigslist. We are a support site, and we need to be careful about introducing something that takes us too far away from that end.

There are alternatives to a new forum, however, which don't require any real change in the ADISC runs. For example, if you're interested in exchanging some diapers, list them in the About Me section of your profile and note in your signature that you're looking for an exchange. That's simple enough, and unless the mods object, I don't really see why it would be a problem.

ClickyKeys

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent

In response to what we're saying re: giving out names and addresses - you could work around that using these 'locker' type mailing couriers, like MyByBox or Amazon Locker. That way noone's address is disclosed, and technically their real name needn't be either. Certainly my nearest ByBox is about 10 miles away from my home, so good luck to anyone trying to trace me; but handy enough given I'm passing it frequently anyway. I have no idea what cost implications these things have, but the key would really be to have an 'intermediate' location that keeps both sides' privacy protected; it may not be financially feasible, but it's certainly possible.

In addition to FauxPas' comment - we're not a marketplace either. We don't want people giving negative rep because their "order" was "significantly not as described" :p

Things change though, and i'm a great believer in young enterprise :biggrin: I reckon if you come up with a good proposal for a) making such a scheme cost-effective to both 'parties', and b) ensuring the utmost privacy that is necessary throughout that process, it could be an online initiative in its own right (external to ADISC of course!)

I'll add this, as a reason why I commend you for your innovative idea...
A member of this site once gave me a few diapers, and asked for not a penny in return. He knew that for me, living at home with my parents, getting hold of diapers was nearly impossible; but he knew how much I wanted that experience of a 'real' diaper. He told me there was only one condition; I was to pay it forward. There are several DLs and ABs on this site who are in the position now that I was then, and yet I haven't done anything to pay it forward and give someone else that chance; because I have no idea how.

/mytwocents

D.

* Abena Abri Form Adult Nappy Premium Medium M4 Sample | eBay

Yeah, I just buy packs for my samples. Every time I've sampled too from a sample pack I've had an issue or another with a diaper that I've found to be perfectly fine later on.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
If you want to do this, you can, but we (ADISC) don't want to get involved right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.