Help me decide: 360 or PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
This is odd I can't find my last post. I listed all of the things that have been going wrong with my Sony products. I never gave out insults to anyone. I just wanted to let people know why I dislike Sony and its Playstation brand.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Sony just recently had a Red ring of death on there hands so to speak. Something about it crashing much like the xbox did. (you can look it up im not all that motivated atm lol)

P.s. a source on the 33% failure rate would be nice because that doesn't sound right.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Source for you, Mr. "I Run With Hacker Clans", lulz.
Where's yours?
hmm i never said i "run" with hacking clans i just said that i had seen proof from some one on other forums.( a guy had proof of running code majic on a ps3)

Retailers ESTIMATE failure rate as high AS 33 percent. (given the relative age of the link it occurs when most of the rrods were occurring a more current link would be more informative)

And most of the problems are fixed on newer 360s and given what he has i would recomend a 360 over the ps3.(though as stated a good pc might be a wise choice also)

EDIT:
In February 2008 an examination of 1040 Xbox 360s by SquareTrade found a 16.4% failure rate. 171 were returned under warranty as "disabled"

Last edited:

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
16.4% is still about 12% higher than what I should be. So when you buy a 360, you've essentially got a 1/6 chance of having it break on you. Wow, way to recommend a failure.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
16.4% is still about 12% higher than what I should be. So when you buy a 360, you've essentially got a 1/6 chance of having it break on you. Wow, way to recommend a failure.
Your hostility is unneeded. The new 360 doesn't get the rrod it was fixed with the new chip(set?). plus Microsoft gives you a two year warranty so that if it does break they fix it free of charge.(wow you really are a hardcore fan boy/girl)

not to mention atm 1% OF PS3S are getting the YLOD.

When you get own to it both systems have there flaws, there ups and there downs It all comes down to preference.

Last edited:
Role
Incontinent
Furthermore, as far as I'm aware, the European PS3 has no backwards compatibility, which ****ing sucks.

In the US, the only PS3 that is backwards compatible with PS2 games is the 80 GB version. All of the other versions(20 GB, 40 GB) aren't.

Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
In the US, the only PS3 that is backwards compatible with PS2 games is the 80 GB version. All of the other versions(20 GB, 40 GB) aren't.
Actually its the 20GB and 40GB versions that are fully backwards compatible. Its the 80GB version and whatever else they have out now that aren't fully BC.

And as for the X360 failure rate argument: Yes, it has been reported to be as high as 40%. The 33% failure rate estimate came from a company who repaired 360s for MS under a contract. They were so pissed about the high failure rate that they actually canceled the contract with MS early saying that it was cheaper for them to pay the penalty for breaking the contract than to keep repairing 360s since they were beginning to lose money on the "deal". This figure has been supported by other contractors and retailers too. I don't know of any retailer that offers an extended warranty for the 360 anymore, every single one stopped offering them after it became apparent how bad the RROD was. It's also why MS gave in and gave every 360 owner a free 3 year extended warranty for the RROD. And for those of you saying that 33% isn't that big, keep in mind that failure rates of 2-3% are what is considered acceptable for hi-tech gadgets, and rates over 8% are considered grounds for a recall.

That being said, many are reporting that the RROD problem has more or less been fixed after the September 2007 batch of X360's thanks to the new 65nm falcon chip that MS began putting in so the 360 is a safer buy now (just don't get a used one) especially with the extended warranty which should hold you over until the next console comes out.

As for the topic title, I'd recommend the 360. The PS3 just doesn't have as many exclusives to offer and the online isn't as good. Even if you don't like FPS games there's still plenty of other offerings like Viva Pinata, Mass Effect, PGR4, Ace Combat 6, DOA4, Rez HD, Eternal Sonata, the upcoming Infinite Undiscovery, Dead Rising, Ikaruga, and more. And that's not counting multiplatform games either.

Role
Diaper Lover
Xbox 360 is cheaper, but it's attachments are way more expensive than PS3's. If you want to use on 360 wlan you have to buy that block which costs a lot.
And you can replace PS3's hard drive for any 2.5" sata hard drive (or which one it was, correct me if I'm wrong) but for xbox you have buy that expensive one which is only made for it.

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
If you don't have an HD TV or some nice TV like that, then you can't play PS3 on it...
Well, that's not true. It comes with the standard red, yellow, and white component cords to work on regular TV's.

The PS3 is the better choice here. You won't ever have to worry about it breaking down or getting the 'Red Ring of Death' and then having to send it in to MicroSoft and wait about a month to get it back.
Also, it's just got a lot more potential to be something besides just a game console. For example, I've installed Linux on my PS3, use it as a media center/server, and of course watch all my Blu-Ray movies on it. Lol, that reminds me of how whenever we try to watch movies on my friends Xbox 360, the thing sounds like a lawnmower so it kind of ruins the movie.
I know how you said you don't care about online, but the nice thing is that if you ever choose to use it, it's free!
Xbox 360 is cheaper, but it's attachments are way more expensive than PS3's. If you want to use on 360 wlan you have to buy that block which costs a lot.
And you can replace PS3's hard drive for any 2.5" sata hard drive (or which one it was, correct me if I'm wrong) but for xbox you have buy that expensive one which is only made for it.
Yeah, I saw a picture somewhere showing that in order for the Xbox 360 to have all of the same features and accessories that the Playstation 3 comes standard with, the Xbox comes out to be something ridiculous like $850 or something close to that.
So yeah, there's my :twocents:

whitefox

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Other
I've got an Xbox 360, but I've played both, and firmly believe that the PS3 is better. The controller is much lighter and the navigation isn't as confusing. As far as the graphics, I'm not quite sure... there wasn't much difference as far as I could tell. Load times aren't extremely long on either system... but working out all of the different profiles when several people are using one Xbox takes a while.

Attachments and other gizmos are a different story. If you don't get a bundle with the Xbox (like I didn't), it's going to cost A LOT just to do anything. It was around $30 for just a 56MB memory card, which is already full after just a few months. I don't know about the PS3's prices.

And then there's games. Microsoft has some exclusive - likewise with Sony. That should weigh somewhat heavily. With Xbox live and all that (which is what Microsoft pushes quite a lot), I'd say you'd be better off with a PS3, especially if you've ever had a Playstation or PSP before. The controls are right there (considering basically nothing has changed except for the motion sensors).

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
How about you buy both, try them out, and then give one to me. Its a Win-Win situation!

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Now that MGS4 is out.... I say get PS3!

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Eh, there is a huge rumour going around that it's comming out on the 360 as well...

Still, PC > consoles :D
I wouldn't put too much faith in that. Even if it does come to the 360, then I don't think it will for a while. (but the first game went to other systems, so it's possible eventually)

And the problem with PC gaming is PCs become outdated too quickly.... :frown:

Thallis

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
Eh, there is a huge rumour going around that it's comming out on the 360 as well...
One that's been denied by Kojima repeatedly. Kojima hates microsoft and the 360, it seems unlikely it would come to the 360.

*Spoiler*Otacon even makes a 360 joke in one of his calls to you.*/spoiler*

tiger2

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
well
i have a 360, iv'e had on since september 06' got the rrod once, returned it got it back a week later and it;s been fine since.
so id say 360, that and live is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.