Help finding good diaper for 32 inch waist

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomguy18

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
One of the problems I face is that my waist size -- 32 inches -- is almost always on the end of the size range, and I have trouble finding diapers that fit me well. I'm hoping to see if you guys have some suggestions on diapers I should try.

For reference, I am a 145 pound, 5-10 male.

Lots of smalls will go up to 31 to 34, whereas many mediums will start at 32. Even the ones that start at 28 are too big for a good fit cause they typically go all the way up to 42 or higher.

Absorbency really isn't that much of an issue. All of the higher end diapers are absorbent enough for me, the problem I get is leaks when the diaper doesn't fit right.

Diapers that fit right:
Dry 24/7 smalls: I'm surprised these worked, they say they go up to 31 inches, but they run very big for their size. One of the best fits I have ever gotten.
ABU Cushies: These run from 31-36 inches. Absolutely the best fit I have ever gotten, even with the single tapes.

Diapers that don't:
Abena S4 Cloth: These say they go up to 34 inches... they barely fit me and are uncomfortable to wear
Abene M4 (cloth and plastic): These are just too big. They work most of the time, but are prone to leaks around the legs. Yes, it is possible to have too much diaper.
Bambibo Classic: Certainly crazy absorbent, but still doesn't feel comfortable, the size range isn't right for me.

What I'm looking for are some cloth backed diapers (yes, I some people like these) that I could wear discreetly in public that are going to fit me well. Any suggestions?

I agree about the Bambinos. they are great for wetting but they are bulky as hell! I am somewhere between a large and a medium. ABU SDKS, CUSHIES, etc... I agree are perfect. But for me they can't take a serious wetting. They are more comfortable and I do buy them just to wear but can't risk wetting. I never mess in my diaper. I think if ABU Cushies fit you buy 'em. Especially the scented ones.

I've heard the rearz safari smalls are supposed to be good

I am about the same size as you only an inch shorter and about 10 pounds more and I haven't had any issues with fitting. Tykables and barebums fit really well to me. The only one that is a bit weird that I've tried have been m4s. I seem to get a wierd fit at the bottom right tape but it's not really bad.

Have you tried Northshore's AirSupreme, probably in a medium? They run a little smaller than some, plus they will send a sample of 2 diapers for free so you can see if they work.

AndresMommy said:
Have you tried Northshore's AirSupreme, probably in a medium? They run a little smaller than some, plus they will send a sample of 2 diapers for free so you can see if they work.

No, I haven't. I didn't see anything on their site about samples. What's the process for requesting them, and is the shipping discreet? I know some samples are... a bit obvious.

To clarify, I'm looking specifically for cloth backed diapers right now. I've found plastic backed ones that provide good fits, but I want something I can feel comfortable wearing discretely in public.

randomguy18 said:
No, I haven't. I didn't see anything on their site about samples. What's the process for requesting them, and is the shipping discreet? I know some samples are... a bit obvious.

To clarify, I'm looking specifically for cloth backed diapers right now. I've found plastic backed ones that provide good fits, but I want something I can feel comfortable wearing discretely in public.

The AirSupreme are cloth backed, the regular Supreme are plastic backed. If I remember correctly, the samples come in a whitish/grayish plastic mailing bag, return address Northshore/Samela Inc. ... but I could be wrong. To get a sample, e-mail them, chat with a rep online, or call them giving them the needed info (name, address, product (AirSupreme), and size). They have never advertised their sample policy on their website, but they are great about giving samples ... up to 2 different products or sizes before you order, and more if you actually order from them. Based on your description, I am pretty sure that a size small would be too small, but a medium might work.

Tranquility ATN is my go-to daytime diaper. Can last 8 hours if needed for me but it get gel squishy.
Dry 24/7 is my night time diaper. Can handle two big wettings and rarely leaks for me.

I am interested to try the Northshore supreme and supreme lights.
I dislike the cloth backed diapers.
I don't do adult pull ups unless I must be very discrete.

I would have expected a bambino or tykables medium to fit 32" waist?

bambinod said:
I would have expected a bambino or tykables medium to fit 32" waist?

Fits is different than fits well. Yes, I can of course get them on me. But that doesn't they are comfortable and/or don't leak.

I'm also specifically looking for something that is cloth backed that would be good.

I have a size 32 inch waist myself and I found that I can wear most brands of diapers if the size is medium. Baby diapers and too small and larges are too big. Medium diapers should work fine.

I'm a similar size to you but with a slightly smaller waist (5'11 150lb 31 inch waist). Basically any medium fits well enough if I tape it right. If you're having issues with the legs leaking, try angling the bottom tapes upwards (if it feels counter intuitive, you're doing it right) and leaving some sag in the middle so liquid has somewhere to run besides straight out the leg openings.

That said, I'd agree that abena mediums are too big on our sized frame to be discrete. I've had good luck with molicare, but those are plastic backed. Seni Quattro are nice cloth backed diapers, but the small is borderline too small to fit me. You might also try some of the northshore cloth backed line.

All that is good info I have a 31 waist 5 10 175 pounds. I do sometimes have problems with leaks. But I usually have protection under me so it's a huge deal. While I'm standing is not usually an issue unless I overuse of course lol.

Tldr this may have been said already but are you putting your diapers on correctly? I'm a 32in waist 6 foot tall and 180lbs. I wear mediums in all brands I've tried, I find that often I'll have to make sure the back of the diaper sits low enough that it properly covers my butt and thighs even if it means the front rides a little bit higher than the back. This does several things that help including probably most importantly making sure the leg gathers sit right and make a good seal.
Taping wise my lower tapes usually sit perfectly horizontal or even angled slightly upwards and land somewhere either on the edge of the padding or right on top of the elastic for the leak guards. My top tapes usually angle down a bit and usually pull tension along the dimples of my hips.

The Seni Super are quite thick and definitely fit too small on me, give them a try if you want high quality clothlike that fit a smaller frame.

randomguy18 said:
Abene M4 (cloth and plastic): These are just too big. They work most of the time, but are prone to leaks around the legs. Yes, it is possible to have too much diaper.

That's surprising. I'm roughly the same size as you (one or two centimetres taller and one or two kilos heavier), and the plastic-backed Abena M4s fit perfectly. The fake-cloth ones sag a bit, though.

randomguy18 said:
What I'm looking for are some cloth backed diapers (yes, I some people like these) that I could wear discreetly in public that are going to fit me well. Any suggestions?

iD-Slip have some cloth-backed diapers that are a bit smaller than Abenas. If the Abenas are too big, they should fit you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back