HELP! Computer Fan messing up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Its loud, starts and stops alot and annoying and i am worried that my laptop is gonna die

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Well It could be numerous things. But make sure it's well ventilated and on a hard surface so air can get underneath, not on your lap or bed!

But what are you doing causing the processor usage to shoot up? Like gaming, video editing etc.. As that will warm up your processor quickly.

Oh, does it actually get warm when the fan is on?

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I'm leaning towards the same suggestion.

That same thing happened to me when I used my laptop on my bed, setting it down on the cover. The laptop would also shut down without warning, due to it overheating.

Make sure its got room to breathe. :)

Role
I blew out the fan and that seems to have helped. And its sitting on a hard desk...but my house is smoky and dusty due to the woodstove

cation

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, , Carer
Make sure the fan is clear of dust. An obstruction will make noise and cause overheating which may cause a thermostat to open and shut the fan off. The noise could also be the fan wearing out which would require replacement. Being that the fan is necessary to the life of the processor it should be fixed for sure.

Role
laptop isnt even a year old ...and the issue was a hairball with dust clogging a vent

S

Secret

Use some air duster. But be sure that you don't hold the can upside down because then ice will come out!

Dust off is the best brand in my opinion.

Role
Burn Notice anyone?

BTW its running fine now...but when should I worry about it getting too hot?

babyemo

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover,
when it shuts itself off.

yea, sometimes wires can get into the blades and buzz, alot of times its dust. fans do die though too,

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
We had a lot of troubles with the fans on our Gateway computers at schools. We replaced a lot of them, even during the first year. Sometimes, it's just a bad fan design.

Hans

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
just be careful when blowing out your fans for ANY electronic device, if you let the fan spin whilst blowing it off, it can damage the motor, keep a finger on the fan and then dust.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Is more than one bottle neccasary?
It probably helps to not use it on Grade 8 hardware, too! :rolleyes:

it also is good to not get it on your skin, since it is colder than dry ice when it is sublimating! (look it up its really a word =))

OT: You did say problem solved, right?

firelupine said:
when the fan shuts off or when the laptop shuts off ?
the laptop should shut off if its thermal sensors detect an overheating condition.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
It probably helps to not use it on Grade 8 hardware, too! :rolleyes:

it also is good to not get it on your skin, since it is colder than dry ice when it is sublimating! (look it up its really a word =))
I can vouch for this When I was younger I spray a lot onto my hand/arm.

Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy, Incontinent
Fan trouble huh? Will cleaning it could be the best bet like everyone else has said. If it is easy enough to do you might want to take off the bottom and make sure the fan is tight as well. A loose fan can cause quite a bit of trouble. So if you know how and is easy enough I would take off the fan casing, make sure the fan is tight, and then hold the fan and blow it out. Although I should not recommend this... so please don't try it unless you think it is the absolutely last resort, but take a vacuum hose and DON"T let it touch any part of the computer but get it as close to the fan as you can and try that.

Another big thing, when you are working on cleaning it out make sure you are grounded (especially if you have the cover off).

If you are afraid of over heating you can get a cooler platform for you laptop. This will circulate air underneath and through keeping your laptop quite a bit cooler and reducing the effort of the fan. You may be able to find one of these at your local walmart probably under fifty dollar. (Please don't quote me though :p.) Actually you may... :p here is a site of walmart that has laptop coolers.

LAPTOP FANS!!! :D:D:D

I wish you the best of luck getting it going and running smoothly again.

For laptops shutting down... it could be the fan but if it happens continuously it might be the model of laptop you own. It seams that the motherboard was built poorly and certain wire become loose shutting off the laptop unexpectedly at any given time without warning. It could be hours of being on or it could be five minutes. If this is the case and your warranty is still on I would send it back and ask for a new laptop because those were deemed faulty. Also it tends to happen within one year of the purchase. I think it was mostly with hp compaqs though. '

Hope everything gets to running smoothly again. :D

diaperedwolfcub

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.