Having to wear diapers

caitianx said:
I myself have Cerebral palsy, and I am stuck wearing the cheap Walmart and Rite Aid Pharmacy diapers.
It is what I can afford.
most state Medicaid programs will reimburse some kind of incontinence supplies the quality of which is not much better than the storebrand stuff… Look into that if you can… I know that is not much help but at least it will not be out of your pocket… I do a hybrid of that the state pays for my condom catheters and I just budget for the diapers and boosters out of my monthly check.

Reactions: Diprs2
emp711 said:
most state Medicaid programs will reimburse some kind of incontinence supplies the quality of which is not much better than the storebrand stuff… Look into that if you can… I know that is not much help but at least it will not be out of your pocket… I do a hybrid of that the state pays for my condom catheters and I just budget for the diapers and boosters out of my monthly check.
Good Evening Friend!
I am on Medicare, not Medicaid.
When I got onto SSDI, since I had an extensive employment history in the field of Electronics, I ended-up on standard Medicare.
I have been paying out-of pocket for my 24/7 diapering supplies for the past 14 years straight.

LonelyFOX said:
Damn urinary issues sometimes drive me crazy!.
When I go to buy clothes, then I found nice boys underwear like Puma, Nike, New balance and Reebok. Awesome colors and designs but then I remember that I have urinary leakage and then I have to give up.
I have to wear pull ups and if I leak a lot at night, sometimes I have to be put on tranquility tape diapers.
Sometimes it's kind of awful for me!.
Going outside for walking wearing tena women's super plus absorbency and coming back all wet with a heavy wet ball between my legs.
It feels so yuck!..😥
I know what you mean. Seeing all the fun underwear out there and then being reminded you are stuck in diapers and pull-ups is always a let down. I will sometimes still put on a pair of underwear over top my diapers and plastic panties to make me think I'm all grown up, but when I realize I have a wet soggy diaper between my legs, it brings me back to reality quite quickly. It also sucks having to buy underwear that is 1 or 2 sizes bigger to cover the diaper. Always get strange looks from the cashier wondering why I am buying such big underwear!

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, hoimi and LonelyFOX
I wear diapers and my usually go to is LFB little dreamers but been trying different brands to see which one I like best

Yes I wear 24/7 and I have for my whole life

Reactions: Diprs2 and Jim100
DiaperGuy08 said:
I know what you mean. Seeing all the fun underwear out there and then being reminded you are stuck in diapers and pull-ups is always a let down. I will sometimes still put on a pair of underwear over top my diapers and plastic panties to make me think I'm all grown up, but when I realize I have a wet soggy diaper between my legs, it brings me back to reality quite quickly. It also sucks having to buy underwear that is 1 or 2 sizes bigger to cover the diaper. Always get strange looks from the cashier wondering why I am buying such big underwear!
if you can accept the fact that you need them instead of trying to hide them… You will sleep better at night I promise… Do not worry about the underwear just wear your diaper/pull-up… It will eventually become a security thing where you are more anxious if you do not have a diaper… You are creating more anxiety by trying to conform to your personally constructed ideal of normalcy.… When all else fails remember this… when you are in a contentious meeting with your boss and he/she aggravates you you can get the ultimate vindication by just "letting go" when that would be considered a fireable offense for most anybody else… You see my friends, membership does have its privileges :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, chuck, Jim100 and 1 other person
DiaperGuy08 said:
Why would an incontinence problem make you not "all grown up?" Incontinence is a medical issue. It's important to realize that incontinence doesn't diminish you as a valuable person, as an adult, or as a member of society - it's just a medical problem to manage. The more you manage it, the more you realize that it doesn't affect you as a person.

I'd be shocked if a clerk ever noticed what size of underwear you're buying, much less compared it to your size to decide if it's going to fit you. Even if they did that, the natural assumption is that you're buying it for someone else. Strange looks are easy to imagine if you're sensitive to them, but in reality they're very rare. If you don't believe me, go to a store and ask a clerk to tell you what size of underwear would fit you - most well tell you they don't have any idea, and those who venture a guess will be wrong more often than right. How, then, could they notice that the underwear you're buying is a size off?

Reactions: Diprs2, hoimi, Jim100 and 1 other person
emp711 said:
if you can accept the fact that you need them instead of trying to hide them… You will sleep better at night I promise… Do not worry about the underwear just wear your diaper/pull-up… It will eventually become a security thing where you are more anxious if you do not have a diaper… You are creating more anxiety by trying to conform to your personally constructed ideal of normalcy.… When all else fails remember this… when you are in a contentious meeting with your boss and he/she aggravates you you can get the ultimate vindication by just "letting go" when that would be considered a fireable offense for most anybody else… You see my friends, membership does have its privileges :)

Thanks for the friendly words of advice. I appreciate it. Wearing pull-ups and diapers for my bedwetting when I was growing wasn't the best experience for me unfortunately. Still needing them as an adult is hard, but I am slowly making my way towards acceptance I think. That's probably why I am wanting to cover up with underwear instead of just embracing them. But it definitely helps to have groups like this to discuss things and find some common ground. That's why I have finally decided to join. Accepting my incontinence is something I will continue to work on and hopefully become more comfortable with in time. Thanks again.

Reactions: Diprs2, hoimi, chuck and 1 other person
Jim100 said:
The other day I had to go to the VA in Las Vegas for an infected tooth so I thought that what the heck I’ll just wear a barn yard diaper to the VA. Big mistake I wet through which was not normal for that type of diaper. A little discerning with wet shorts; even though I was using the wheelchair I still had to walk to the exam chair. Now since I live about 120 miles away and didn’t feel like changing diapers needless to say by the time I got home I was going down for the third time. The next day I had to go back to a dentist that did root canals not the greatest experience but it had to be done only this time I decided to wear my usual nite time diaper which works much longer; got home and was soaked at least I didn’t wet through but still I was still very wet. I talked to both dentists and their helpers about grinding my teeth that they asked me about I told them that I tried the teeth guards but felt like I was going to swallow the guards for which they both had the same problems so they didn’t use them until I told them about the pacifiers and how they work much better so they thought it was a very good idea and decided to try them also. They asked about the diapers and I explained why and again they thought it was a good idea for me due to the total IC and thanked me for my being able to talk to them about it. When people are educated about needs of others then more people can understand why diapers are needed.

There was a time in my life when I used to grind my teeth. I thought it made me look tough when I was pissed at someone and I would sit in the bar and audibly grind my teeth. The same teeth my folks had spend vast sums to have them repaired after my excessive sugar use as a child. Of course this took place when I was young and stupid....thankfully I’m no longer young🤪😳😩. I guess I could’ve tried a pacifier but in my case since it was self induced it was pretty easy to stop grinding once I convinced myself how ignorant I looked and sounded doing it. Hope the pacifier helps with your unconscious grinding, at least you shouldn’t have to worry about swallowing that device. Stay padded, especially now that your dental professionals understand!

Reactions: Diprs2, hoimi and Jim100
DiaperGuy08 said:
Damn urinary leakages!. Now I have to go to buy tena women super plus absurd at the drugstore or the healthcare store. When I went to the healthcare store asking for something absorbent for heavy leakage for myself when I was inline skating. Then the tena women's active underwear was the most adequate for me because they are more breathable and absorbent because women have leakage and they have their period. I wear them now instead of my Puma sports underwear when inline skating.
They're very absorbent but then just I come back with a heavy wet ball between my legs, just I feel like it's going to fall on the floor and it's going to splat, I feel so yucky!.
Then when I came back to the healthcare store I told to the lady who attended me that my tena active underwear deforms after having a full void bladder leak, then she told me that the product it's working because it's turning all the urine into gel and when the padding turns into a heavy wet ball between my legs it's for keeping away all the urine from my skin.
Just I feel yucky and embarrassed but I don't have skin irritation.

Attachments

• received_2365505870400218.jpeg
    received_2365505870400218.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 28
DiaperGuy08 said:
Thanks for the friendly words of advice. I appreciate it. Wearing pull-ups and diapers for my bedwetting when I was growing wasn't the best experience for me unfortunately. Still needing them as an adult is hard, but I am slowly making my way towards acceptance I think. That's probably why I am wanting to cover up with underwear instead of just embracing them. But it definitely helps to have groups like this to discuss things and find some common ground. That's why I have finally decided to join. Accepting my incontinence is something I will continue to work on and hopefully become more comfortable with in time. Thanks again.
first off welcome to the community… You have come to a safe place… As far as accepting your IC it sounds like you are making great strides by just deciding to subscribe… Most of us have been in a similar place where you are when it comes to needing to do something that feels childlike as an otherwise fully functioning adult is often a struggle emotionally.. It really becomes a matter of a cost-benefit analysis in the end. Is it more humiliating for someone to possibly catch you with a little bit of plastic hanging out of the top of your shorts and trust me the majority of people will not say anything even if they see it, or making that college girl who is bussing tables at a restaurant sanitize the booth after your meal if you have an accident without protection… Trust me she is more likely to remember having to clean up the mess while barely earning minimum wage than whether you were wearing a diaper when she looks back on the situation years down the road

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, hoimi and LonelyFOX
quarktheory said:
cauda equina syndrome has been on my mind since 2009, my L4 was fractured causing the channel for the spinal cord to narrow, S1&2 L4&5 discs ruptured and I tore the nerve sheath around the cord.
I guess I’m lucky that diapers are the main side effect. But I still worry about CES.
I feel lucky as well. CES can be a lot more serious than simple loss of bladder control. The DESD was more serious for me than the incontinence, but that has been resolved and I don't have any kidney issues due to the reflux.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Jim100 and LonelyFOX
Racingmatt550 said:
I have to wear/use 24/7 as of feburary 2020 unfortunately, I've lost all sense & feeling of my bladder and bowels regardless of the amount. I got diagnosed with dual incontinence due to my nerves not sending signals anymore. The pills they prescribed did nothing but make it a more inconvenient delay so I stopped taking them. So diapers are my only option now.
I totally understand that I am same way but oh well it's life and I move forward on .Besides having IBS as well now I am glad to be in diapers .

sport1 said:
I have been incontinent for 30yrs and being both autistic and diabetic.
I’m a diabetic as well. That’s how my incontinence issues started. Are you bladder or bowel incontinent?

I'am always bladder and lately some bowel have learned at my age just wear the diaper and don't let it control me.

I have learned to accept the fact that I have to wear diapers 24 hours a day around the clock.
Now late in life, my A1C level has gone too high into the Diabetes range.
Now I am on Metformin 500mg/Day 24-Hour Extended Release Tablets.
I take it at my Lunch time.
Sigh...
My family genetics strikes again.
My late brother and my Dad were late-onset Diabetes.

Reactions: Diprs2 and pamperbud20
I started wearing diapers 24/7 about 2 years ago due to a ruptured disc in my lower back. I became partially bladder and bowel incontinent un August 2018 and it has only gotten worse over the last 2 years. I am glad they make high quality adult diapers today and I am really happy my legs still work. I am not sure how long I will be able to walk, but I know sometime in the future, my legs will give out. That's the only thing that really bothers me.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Jim100 and LonelyFOX
I'am lucky been incontinent for along time but legs are still good at 81 just sometimes have flair ups.

To me, diapers are just my personal "wearable" toilet I take with me everywhere I go.

That's right.

Back