Has anyone tried these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
http://www.medline.com/Literature/ReusableIncontinence.pdf

The Ultra, Super and Fitted (bottom half of the page).

I'm not really sure what Ibex is, but it looks like they make a lot of outdoors clothing with it. They're advertised as "breathable" which is why I'm interested.

I'd like to know how the Small fits, 20" to 28" is a pretty wide range, and they don't have anything smaller. I have a 19"/20" waist, and the only places I can find that sell them only sell them in packs of 12 or 36, and that's REALLY expensive to test.

I need something that holds a good amount, but I don't have to worry about "flooding" because I just don't hold that much.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't know how well they are, and I've never heard of them...But my guess is that a disposable will hold more than they do, and will probably be cheaper

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
No, haven't tried them. You must be pretty small for a 16 year old....to have a 20" waist...:rolleyes:

Shen

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
No, haven't tried them. You must be pretty small for a 16 year old....to have a 20" waist...:rolleyes:
Average size of an 11 year old boy is 26" waist.
I know this because I manage a Jean clothing store. I'm not creepy lol. just know that I've never seen anyone come in with a 20" waist that wasn't like 7 or 8 years old.

Role
No one over the age of 8 with a 20" waist would come to your store :)

Girls with petite builds usually end up shopping at kid's section or petite stores. I don't even bother shopping for jeans any more, I stick with skirts or sweats.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I haven't tried that brand in particular... but I have tried some that are very similar in construction. All-in-ones like those tend to leak more than a more traditional cloth diaper and plastic pants.

Personally I prefer disposables... they're more discreet, comfy, and convienient.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent, , Private
I haven't tried that brand in particular... but I have tried some that are very similar in construction. All-in-ones like those tend to leak more than a more traditional cloth diaper and plastic pants.

Personally I prefer disposables... they're more discreet, comfy, and convienient.
Yeah, disposables are more convenient, but generally do bad at wicking away and using their full absorbancy - plus there's always the environmental debate about them we keep getting into. ;)

If you want convenience, it's just easier to get one of those cloth diapers that velcro or snap on, and put the plastic pants overtop. Its better for washing and drying, and the plastic lasts longer usually.

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other, Private
I havn't tried those, but I have seen them online before. I am intersted in seeing if anyone has tried them and how thick they are and how there absorbancy is.

Role
Well, I got a hold of some of these. I convinced a distributor to send me a sample - and they sent me both a small and a large (I'd only asked for a small).

All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it. The large would fit about 3 of me, but the small is actually a pretty good fit around the legs. The sides, though, are incredibly puffy and thick, and the snaps don't align well (they're too close together on the front, as opposed to the back), so you end up with a huge fold that just makes it even thicker. It would be impossible to wear one of these without someone noticing. Also, the front of the diaper is almost comically higher then the back, so that you have to fold it down inside itself. The front unfolded was well past my belly button, while the back barely covered my butt crack =\ i think maybe the front is intended to be folded down, to help hold a booster in place, but that'd really only be useful for guys.

I decided to give it a try anyway, though, since I really wanted something for overnight.

I was wearing it for about an hour, and hadn't gone to bed yet, and the leg gathers were so thick that they actually started hurting my legs. Still not a deal-breaker for me, since again, I really wanted something for overnights, and the gathers aren't an issue when laying down or on your side.

On the plus side, they're very absorbent, and whatever rayon/polyester/whatever liner it has actually did a really good job of wicking away from the skin. Two (small) wettings in, I couldn't even tell it was wet. The gathers worked well, and overnight there wasn't any leaking from the sides. I decided to give the already-wet one a chance overnight.

The problem? They're not waterproof. There was no leaking from the gathers, or the waistband, but apparently, after a few hours, it leaks through the outer cover. So, I'd need to use plastic pants with them.

My whole reason for wanting to try something new, was in the (apparently vain) hope that I could find something that didn't involve plastic pants, since I wear them all day, too, and they tend to irritate my legs at the gathers when I don't give myself any time without them.

When I woke up, my bed was wet. Not soaked, the diaper held most of it, but that seeping through the diaper was enough that I was doing laundry first thing in the morning =\

Anyway, don't buy these :) I'm seriously thinking about giving underjams a try. Does anyone know what their capacity is? Overnight, I wouldn't need more then 15 ounces or so. And they're incredibly cute :) My dad will laugh at me for trying kid diapers, but at this point I don't care, as long as they work!

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
You do know that Tranquility, Tena, and Abena all make their super-absorbant diapers in youth sizes... right? Or are you just against a regular diaper?

Role
I'm not against them, I use them sometimes during the day. I've just never had good luck with them overnight. I'm an "active sleeper" - I toss and turn a lot, and things tend to shift :)

I see that Dry 24/7 is coming out with a youth diaper "soon" though. I may give them a try, or even try the smalls, since they get close to my size.

It's also a cost thing, my dad's insurance doesn't cover what I'd go through with disposables. But if the Dry 24/7s last as long as they say, they might actually save money.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
But if the Dry 24/7s last as long as they say, they might actually save money.
Dry 24/7s definately last as long as advertised... but wait for the youth size... the Small/Medium will be too big on you.

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
I have, many years ago. The outer plastic surface is rugged, and tough. They are thin. They feel heavy, and institutional. They are noisy. They have an unpleasant look. Last I had them, the inner material was a roughly textured birdseye. I don't know who orders them, but I did not like them and would not want to wear them.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Have you looked at babykins website? they have a range of cloth all in ones that either pull on or snap up/ velcro, in baby, youth, and adult sizes. I have a pair of the pull on and the velcro. they are quite bulky and would be for night time only, and FWIW I prefer the pull ons.

Disregard if you are looking for a disposable, I just scanned the thread.

Role
I tried one of their youth all-in-ones last year, but it fit really badly. And yeah, I'm thinking about finding a good disposable brand that fits, but so far Secure isn't cooperating :)

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Have you tried Abri-form? I've been using their Supers in the daytime for a bit now and they're quite nice.

I know they make the Super in a X-small/youth (20"-26") and X-plus in a small (24" to 31")... that should be enough absorbancy to last you a while. Cost on those isn't bad either.

Role
I got my dad to order a sample pack of the super extra smalls when he ordered my grandma's diapers. He made me wait to order from xpmedical, because the last place I got him to order from (Secure) sent the wrong thing and still haven't responded or sent the youths =\

They put 4 in the box, so I'm not complaining :)

They just got here today, and they're actually a really good fit! They're a lot thinner then I expected them to be, and I was pretty unimpressed looking at them - the plastic backing is kinda rustly and looked pretty cheap, but the first one is still holding up after about 6 hours. I dunno if I want to try one over night, I might with some plastic pants to be safe. But if they don't sound too loud with a onesie on, I might try them at school tomorrow. Hopefully they last the whole day though, cause other then the sound, they're completely unnoticeable!

Thanks for the tip, Dark :) I'll see how these 4 do, and I might get my dad to order a case, but I'm gonna have a hard time convincing him to spend $75 dollars on *more* diapers.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
They just got here today, and they're actually a really good fit! They're a lot thinner then I expected them to be, and I was pretty unimpressed looking at them - the plastic backing is kinda rustly and looked pretty cheap, but the first one is still holding up after about 6 hours. I dunno if I want to try one over night, I might with some plastic pants to be safe. But if they don't sound too loud with a onesie on, I might try them at school tomorrow. Hopefully they last the whole day though, cause other then the sound, they're completely unnoticeable!

Thanks for the tip, Dark :) I'll see how these 4 do, and I might get my dad to order a case, but I'm gonna have a hard time convincing him to spend $75 dollars on *more* diapers.
Hey... glad I could be of assistance!

The Abri-Supers have really impressed me. I too was skeptical at first b/c of just how thin they are... but boy to they work! I have no idea what mix Abri uses for the padding in them, but it does one hell of a job. I've been wearing them to work every day since... haven't had a single problem out of them. They typically last 4-6 hours for me... but I drink a ton of water to stay cool here at work, so I'm sure if I dialed back the fluid intake a bit they would last even longer... we'll find out if it ever decides to get below 80 around here.

Please keep us informed on how well they work for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.