Has anyone heard of Diaper Metrics?

Absorblock

Huggies Huggies Huggies
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I came upon a blog called Diapermetrics.com. This guy does in depth studies of different brands of Adult Diapers. Pictures of how they hold up, how they look when worn under your pants versus how regular underwear look, the comfort, scents, clumping. Its really interesting.

Reactions: MattTheCat, PlastiBrain, Subtlerustle and 4 others
I haven't seen this but I'll check it out. Real World Incontinence on YouTube is pretty informative in this subject too.

Reactions: Subtlerustle and Absorblock
bohemian85 said:
I haven't seen this but I'll check it out. Real World Incontinence on YouTube is pretty informative in this subject too.
Ok, good to know, thanks

Something I've always wanted to do!

...Objectively review adult diapers that goes above and beyond the specifications of the manufacturers website.

I think too many people beat me to it.

Reactions: TigerDL and Absorblock
I've just had a little look and Diapermetrics is really impressive. I don't think I've ever seen such detailed reviews on adult nappies. The BetterDrys/ Crinklz review I can confirm is very accurate based on my own personal experience of using them too. Next time I try a new brand I'll definitely be going there first to see if there's a review. Thanks for sharing this mate 👍🏼

Reactions: Absorblock
Thanks for sharing this! Definitely going to check this out.

wow! these reviews are impressive... thank you for sharing

Just checked it out and it's very impressive. Very thorough in evaluating!!

I had not. Very impressive. Major props to him using "real world" testing and salt water for the absorbency. Too many other reviewers use just regular water, which is not an accurate test. A diaper can always hold more water than urine.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL and Absorblock
Paddy2020 said:
Just checked it out and it's very impressive. Very thorough in evaluating!!
Yes I thought so too

hodori779 said:
I had not. Very impressive. Major props to him using "real world" testing and salt water for the absorbency. Too many other reviewers use just regular water, which is not an accurate test. A diaper can always hold more water than urine.
Well, I learn something new everyday .
that is interesting.

Absorblock said:
Well, I learn something new everyday .
that is interesting.

Yes. I forget the exact chemistry, but basically the salt in the urine makes it harder for the SAP crystals to bond together and absorb the liquid, which reduces absorbency.

hodori779 said:
Yes. I forget the exact chemistry, but basically the salt in the urine makes it harder for the SAP crystals to bond together and absorb the liquid, which reduces absorbency.
SAP absorbs water by binding it using negatively charged groups on the polymer chain, since water is polar. Sodium/salt in urine is positively charged, so it is also attracted to these negative groups. When salt takes up spots where water could have bonded, it decreases the amount of water that can be absorbed, thus reducing absorbancy.

TigerDL said:
SAP absorbs water by binding it using negatively charged groups on the polymer chain, since water is polar. Sodium/salt in urine is positively charged, so it is also attracted to these negative groups. When salt takes up spots where water could have bonded, it decreases the amount of water that can be absorbed, thus reducing absorbancy.

Thank you! I was 99% sure it had to do something with water being polar and the positive ions of salt, but I wasn't sure.

I knew my high school chemistry class would come in handy at some point :p

Reactions: TigerDL
TigerDL said:

Also those giant sap ball "bath beads" usually come with a little pack of powder you pour into the bathtub to dissolve the balls, it's basically a pack of salt. The sap prefers the salt over the water, releasing the water as it takes up the salt, and the balls disintegrate.

Diaper Metrics?

In the UK we’re still not all that sure about metric things....

Look at this ad which came through the door for Farmfoods (a discount food store)...

036CC75F-8628-42FF-9A55-1A63B1C664BB.jpeg

Can you tell which is cheaper- chicken or steak?

• Haha
PCS said:
Diaper Metrics?

Look at this ad which came through the door for Farmfoods (a discount food store)...

View attachment 43932

Haha we had the same leaflet through our door but I never noticed that! Chicken has to be cheaper though, it always is. I'm not gonna bother with the maths as that is not my strong point 😂

PCS said:
Diaper Metrics?

View attachment 43932

Nope, can't tell. I never caught on to the metric system. It never made any sense to me.

PCS said:
Diaper Metrics?

View attachment 43932

Hmm. I know that 1kg is roughly 2.2 pounds and that there are 16oz in a pound (but only 14ibs in a stone?) so I guess there must be roughly 35oz in 1kg. So with beef costing £10 for 32oz, which is 3oz less than 1kg vs £10 for 4kg of chicken the chicken is less than a quarter of the price! Took me a good 5 minutes to work that out though so not very accessible advertising!

And I definitely get very confused between metric and imperial. I’m rubbish at inches/ feet etc and measure shorter distances in cm/ metres, unless I’m measuring human height when it’s feet & inches, but for driving distances I use miles and not kilometres. For weighing things like ingredients when cooking/ baking I use grams/ kg but for weighing humans I use pounds and stone. For measuring liquids I use ml/ litres unless I want a pint down the pub, but I’ve no idea how big a fluid oz or a gallon is. I get very confused and wish I just knew metric for everything as I feel it would be much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: bohemian85
KaleidoscopeKitty said:
And I definitely get very confused between metric and imperial. I’m rubbish at inches/ feet etc and measure shorter distances in cm/ metres, unless I’m measuring human height when it’s feet & inches, but for driving distances I use miles and not kilometres. For weighing things like ingredients when cooking/ baking I use grams/ kg but for weighing humans I use pounds and stone. For measuring liquids I use ml/ litres unless I want a pint down the pub, but I’ve no idea how big a fluid oz or a gallon is. I get very confused and wish I just knew metric for everything as I feel it would be much easier.

Ha I use exactly the same measurement scales for the same purposes as you, gotta be a British thing. My maths isn't my strongest point so I just went off the basis that steak is almost always pricier than chicken. And I was right, yay! 😃

Fair play though, your calculations were pretty impressive. I wish I could do that!

Back