Has anyone dated a medical doctor? I have.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Has anyone dated a medical doctor and knows about your diapers? Well, I have...It started as a blind date, and after the second date we hit it off. After the 3rd month, I finally cracked and told her that I use diapers for bedwetting. She was very understanding and said "Im really glad you told me, and what did your family doc say about your condition?" Well, I told her that it goes on and off as far as the bedwetting, and after that she never really questioned it. Whenever, we spent a night together or went camping..it didn't seem she was bothered by the fact i was only wearing a tshirt and a thick xplus abena. I guess she saw stuff like this at work all the time. Whenever, I woke up wet in the morning, she saw that I was soaked, and she was pretty blunt in her response saying "hey why don't you go and clean up in the bathroom". At that point, I realized doctors are not really caring and loving. Doctors are merely scientists that piece the puzzles of symptoms and give orders to allied health officials such as nurses, lab techs, xray tech, etc to execute the orders so that they can make a final determination of diagnosis. Well, after 6 months, she decided that since all of her friends are physicians...she said "we are not made for each other" and she said that after the fact she told me that she cheated on me when she took a trip with all of her other physician friends. Sheesh.....This was a couple of years ago. Im glad that it was over. Ugh.....Well, recently, I realized that the true caring and loving people in healthcare are nurses. One of my friends is a nurse and after we went to the bar together we went back to her apartment. We are best friends, and we just kept talking that night and I eventually dozed off. Well, in the middle of the night, she taped me on the shoulder and she said that I was wet but I was still a little bit tipsy from the alcohol. All, i remember is that she quietly said to rollover while she took my wet diaper off. Well, it turns out when I woke up that morning, she actually put a new diaper on me. I was embarassed and I asked her if she changed me. She said that it was no biggie, and she quickly went to sleep after she changed me. She said that i was a big snorer. I thanked her, and she was really friendly about it and not at the slightest perverted. I guess she knew what she was doing since she has to change her patient's diapers all the time. She's a really genuine nice friend.

downtide

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I have never dated either a doctor or a nurse but I have a couple of friends who are nurses, and I would fully agree with your observation that they are more caring than doctors.

bob111

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Humm... well.... whatever.

Your story is complete with judgements and clichés.

You should mention that it's in your experience and your opinion. Maybe in your imagination too?

LushieCat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I dated medical students if that counts. They aren't that great. Very snobby, but sometimes attractive. We saw a lot of diapers in the hospital, so I imagine telling anyone of them about it would be a bit too much.

But CONGRATULATIONS. I am glad to hear things went well for you. At least with the nurse.

Last edited:

Zeek61

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
Im a medical student ... And i hope that im not any of those kinds of people. That being said, i have seen other students who are snobby and i have also seen doctors that are not very caring of their profession (i.e. they are often people that have been expected to study medicine because their father is a doctor and their grandfather was, etc.).

Personally, i think that the two comments are both an opinion of what you have experienced. I think it is important to remember that by dating one person, you cannot generalise about the whole profession (as there are definitely some nurses that i know who are extremely uncaring and they prefer to sit around, do as little as possible and go out to take smoke breaks as often as they can). But that being said, i also know some nurses that are wonderful and have actually helped me with seeing patients as well as helping me with my learning. All in all, dont generalise ... even if you have dated 50 people from one profession, there are always others out there that may just surprise you.

AEsahaettr

Diapered Oracle
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
  4. Other
Doctors are merely scientists that piece the puzzles of symptoms and give orders to allied health officials such as nurses, lab techs, xray tech, etc to execute the orders so that they can make a final determination of diagnosis. Well, after 6 months, she decided that since all of her friends are physicians...she said "we are not made for each other" and she said that after the fact she told me that she cheated on me when she took a trip with all of her other physician friends. Sheesh.....This was a couple of years ago. Im glad that it was over.

Not entirely true. It's just a case of "shit rolls downhill." A doctor will typically possess all the skills a nurse has. However, a doctor has a much higher-level skillset than a nurse. A hospital that has its doctors administering medication and changing IV bags is going to go bankrupt quickly. Meanwhile, I'm not a doctor yet, but I am a doctoral student working in medical research. While everyone is different, I can tell you it's not uncommon for people in my field to have some trouble connecting with people outside of it. I might like someone a lot as a person. But the person I spend my life with is going to have to be a person that I can come home to and bitch about how the viral assay I spent two weeks running gave me shit data and I need to go back and test everything from the virus generation to the expression and isolation of the protein inhibitor against known controls. I need that person to be someone who hears that and understands what it means without me opening up a can of science lecture on them. Science and medicine are stressful fields with long hours and a huge demand to produce, and it can be years or even decades depending on your track before you start earning a respectable wage. I can't begrudge people in healthcare or science who feel they need to be with someone in their own field to be happy.

Of course, cheating is inexcusable and a completely separate matter.

tongo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Im a medical student ... And i hope that im not any of those kinds of people. That being said, i have seen other students who are snobby and i have also seen doctors that are not very caring of their profession (i.e. they are often people that have been expected to study medicine because their father is a doctor and their grandfather was, etc.).

Personally, i think that the two comments are both an opinion of what you have experienced. I think it is important to remember that by dating one person, you cannot generalise about the whole profession (as there are definitely some nurses that i know who are extremely uncaring and they prefer to sit around, do as little as possible and go out to take smoke breaks as often as they can). But that being said, i also know some nurses that are wonderful and have actually helped me with seeing patients as well as helping me with my learning. All in all, dont generalise ... even if you have dated 50 people from one profession, there are always others out there that may just surprise you.

Absolutely! ... I've known both kinds myself. You'll find all kinds in all walks of life.

MsClara

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer

LushieCat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The problem I would have with dating a doctor or a nurse, summed up in one Mitchell and Webb sketch...

As it goes with dating and being ABDL, well you'd hope the medical experience would get rid of the *ewww* factor that puts a lot of people off, and what with confidentiality they'd know how to keep a secret, but I doubt that someone's profession (any kind) is a guarantee of being a good partner for this kind of kink.

The "eww factor'' never goes away, sorry to say. No matter how many times I saw surgeries or really horrible stuff at the emergency room, getting used to someone's diaper fetish simply isn't the same. When you work in the medical field, you compartmentalise. This deals with your personal life. Let's say you work as a personal support worker and have to spend hours every day looking at and dealing the results of bowel incontinence, and then you come home and your other half wants you to change theirs...

On the other hand, if you set proper limits in your mind on what is appropriate and what is not, and limit some things to your intimate life, it might get easier.

Tgercub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Carer
Well my partner has to put up with me being a former medic. So. If you think docs can be cold, try paramedics. Oh. And you won't be going to the hospital unless its damn well needed. Sadly a broken back stopped my career.

Maverick

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Whenever, I woke up wet in the morning, she saw that I was soaked, and she was pretty blunt in her response saying "hey why don't you go and clean up in the bathroom". At that point, I realized doctors are not really caring and loving. Doctors are merely scientists that piece the puzzles of symptoms and give orders to allied health officials such as nurses, lab techs, xray tech, etc to execute the orders so that they can make a final determination of diagnosis. Well, after 6 months, she decided that since all of her friends are physicians...she said "we are not made for each other" and she said that after the fact she told me that she cheated on me when she took a trip with all of her other physician friends. Sheesh.....
Wait, what? Oh, I forgot that if your lover doesn't feel comfortable with your odd sexual fetish for diapers, then it means she's being uncaring and unloving. Only in AB/DL wacko world... :rollseyes:

Frogsy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I worked in a nursing home for a few years and I had to deal with diapers a lot. It was very compartmentalized, like another poster said. I never got excited by the sight of the diapers at work or anything like that. Most non-alzheimer patients seemed uncomfortable about having to wear pull-up diapers, so we always called them 'pads.' Like, "Hey Bob, let me just get you into a new pad." That helped them feel less embarrassed about it and less childish. A worker kept calling them "pampers" and was talked to by management!! We never used the word diaper, even to each other when communicating about what we did or had left to do for the shift. Anyway, the most interesting thing about working in the nursing home was that several of the patients with alzheimers would regress sometimes to a childlike state. If you wanted to help them and not frighten them, you basically had to communicate with them gently and lovingly, as though they were in fact five years old. One lady in particular had a stuffed wolf she would never be apart from, and when you helped her to bed you had to sing her a lullaby. It was very sweet and those patients were actually the easiest to deal with in the Alzheimers group.

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
...her that I use diapers for bedwetting. She was very understanding and said "Im really glad you told me, and what did your family doc say about your condition?" Well, I told her that it goes on and ....
.... didn't seem she was bothered by the fact i was only wearing a tshirt and a thick xplus abena. I guess she saw stuff like this at work all the time. Whenever, I woke up wet in the morning, she saw that I was soaked, and she was pretty blunt in her response saying "hey why don't you go and clean up in the bathroom". At that point, I realized doctors are not really caring and loving. ....

Hyperlitgreen, maybe it's time to think about a few thing on your side of life. honestly the whole write-up just makes me wonder.

First off: I truly hope your bedwetting is "real" and not just a pretext for you to make the diapers "accepted" by your partner.

Second: I've worked at a hospital for some time (ambulance driver) and of course you see a lot of hardcore shit. I mean, it's natural to "build up some wall" around yourself when it comes to dealing with serious medical issues. but I've known a lot of doctors - and most are compassionate people with a professional attire.

Third: You choose to WALK AROUND IN A DIAPER & T-SHIRT... and it's a pretty thick diaper - very very obvious - to that as well.
How about some DECENCY: wear some boxer-briefs over them. Trust me, whilst few people really would have a problem with you needing diapers for a medical issue, not everyone does feel like "COOL" about this...
Also I mean how often do you see girls run around in just T-Shirt and a menstrual pad (sure she'd have to tape that to her body.)... usually you don't. it's a bit about decency for the people around you.
I am in a 10+year relationship with my GF, I am IC and a Bedwetter... Pads, Pull-Ups and Diapers are something I HAVE TO DEAL WITH... but I make a good effort to keep them out of the way as much as possible. and you'll find that people are a LOT more accepting and have a LOT LESS OF A PROBLEM with diapers if they're not constantly confronted with it.
Especially in the morning when my diaper is wet - I really don't feel the need to flaunt this in my GF's "face" - I mean she knows that I have like 5-7 wet nights a week... no problem, but she doesn't need to see the result.
as simple as boxer-briefs. Says a lot.

And you blabber about your doc-friend not being sympathetic with your problem? Like what did you expect? "Sorry my sweet boy, oh, have you wet your diaper? oh, let me help you - you poor thing... wait here I'll fetch the wash-cloth and a fresh diaper... oh - but first lets have hot diaper-sex... because I find it such a huge turn on to see you, my bedwetting boy, in just your soaked wet diaper, full of hour old stale urine... yeah...".
Or what? Like what exactly?
I think she did the one thing she could "acknowledge" the OBVIOUS FACT that you need to clean up... probably she didn't feel *that* comfortable with you in bed at that time... understandably though.
Just because it's not a big deal for her (as she sees diapers & worse at the Hospital every day) doesn't make it nice to her to lie in bed with a man who wears a T and soaked, smelly diaper.

And fourth: Generalization: Because you presume that this one person wasn't "loving & caring" - all other docs are the same... aye - that's what I call making an informed decision.
Also did it ever occur to you that she may have cheated on you because of your attitude?
Cheating is never a nice thing... sure... but sometimes it's a "message".

Cloud

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
This kind of makes me think about the Seinfeld when Jerry dates the Massage Therapist.

Bizarre..

So all doctors lack the ability to love and care because you dated a woman that didn't change your diaper? First of all, be happy with the fact that she stuck around. Second of all, you are completely capable of changing yourself. If you were a non AB/DL, you would most likely never even entertain the idea of a lover changing your diaper and you would probably have changed out of it before she even woke up. And lastly, she is a doctor at work, but in her personal life I'm sure she wants to be a normal woman who deserves romance etc. I'm sorry she cheated on you, that's truly sucks, but you really shouldn't take out your experiences with one on all.

That friend of yours seems like she cares for you, though. You should look into that.

:cloud9:

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Not entirely true. It's just a case of "shit rolls downhill." A doctor will typically possess all the skills a nurse has. However, a doctor has a much higher-level skillset than a nurse. A hospital that has its doctors administering medication and changing IV bags is going to go bankrupt quickly. Meanwhile, I'm not a doctor yet, but I am a doctoral student working in medical research. While everyone is different, I can tell you it's not uncommon for people in my field to have some trouble connecting with people outside of it. I might like someone a lot as a person. But the person I spend my life with is going to have to be a person that I can come home to and bitch about how the viral assay I spent two weeks running gave me shit data and I need to go back and test everything from the virus generation to the expression and isolation of the protein inhibitor against known controls. I need that person to be someone who hears that and understands what it means without me opening up a can of science lecture on them. Science and medicine are stressful fields with long hours and a huge demand to produce, and it can be years or even decades depending on your track before you start earning a respectable wage. I can't begrudge people in healthcare or science who feel they need to be with someone in their own field to be happy.

Of course, cheating is inexcusable and a completely separate matter.

Doctors have a higher more in depth knowledge, however not always a higher skill set. Sometimes doctors don't know how to start iv's, titrate drips, set pumps, etc because their gift of knowledge is more practical in studying the entire picture and figuring out whats going on. That is where you are generalizing. Medical Research is science. Healthcare is science, art, compassion in an ever changing dynamic environment. Just because a doctor changes iv bags and administers meds doesn't mean the hospital is going bankrupt. Generalizing again. I understand you are going to be a doctor in medical research in your lab among your research staff. However, once you set foot in a hospital, medical doctors only reserve the right and respect to be addressed "doctor". By the way, awesome job on the medical research.

- - - Updated - - -

[Removed]

- - - Updated - - -

Zeek61, out of all the responses. You are the most mature and diplomatic response. I appreciate it man. You are a going to be a great Doc someday.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for noticing! Woo Woo!

- - - Updated - - -

I have never dated either a doctor or a nurse but I have a couple of friends who are nurses, and I would fully agree with your observation that they are more caring than doctors.

Thanks man!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

This kind of makes me think about the Seinfeld when Jerry dates the Massage Therapist.

Bizarre..

So all doctors lack the ability to love and care because you dated a woman that didn't change your diaper? First of all, be happy with the fact that she stuck around. Second of all, you are completely capable of changing yourself. If you were a non AB/DL, you would most likely never even entertain the idea of a lover changing your diaper and you would probably have changed out of it before she even woke up. And lastly, she is a doctor at work, but in her personal life I'm sure she wants to be a normal woman who deserves romance etc. I'm sorry she cheated on you, that's truly sucks, but you really shouldn't take out your experiences with one on all.

That friend of yours seems like she cares for you, though. You should look into that.

:cloud9:

It is bizarre!! Ugh!

- - - Updated - - -

I worked in a nursing home for a few years and I had to deal with diapers a lot. It was very compartmentalized, like another poster said. I never got excited by the sight of the diapers at work or anything like that. Most non-alzheimer patients seemed uncomfortable about having to wear pull-up diapers, so we always called them 'pads.' Like, "Hey Bob, let me just get you into a new pad." That helped them feel less embarrassed about it and less childish. A worker kept calling them "pampers" and was talked to by management!! We never used the word diaper, even to each other when communicating about what we did or had left to do for the shift. Anyway, the most interesting thing about working in the nursing home was that several of the patients with alzheimers would regress sometimes to a childlike state. If you wanted to help them and not frighten them, you basically had to communicate with them gently and lovingly, as though they were in fact five years old. One lady in particular had a stuffed wolf she would never be apart from, and when you helped her to bed you had to sing her a lullaby. It was very sweet and those patients were actually the easiest to deal with in the Alzheimers group.

You are a great person!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, what? Oh, I forgot that if your lover doesn't feel comfortable with your odd sexual fetish for diapers, then it means she's being uncaring and unloving. Only in AB/DL wacko world... :rollseyes:

That's sick!

- - - Updated - - -

I dated medical students if that counts. They aren't that great. Very snobby, but sometimes attractive. We saw a lot of diapers in the hospital, so I imagine telling anyone of them about it would be a bit too much.

But CONGRATULATIONS. I am glad to hear things went well for you. At least with the nurse.

Thanks!!! Yeah, several docs are pretty!

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely! ... I've known both kinds myself. You'll find all kinds in all walks of life.

Absolutely!

- - - Updated - - -

The problem I would have with dating a doctor or a nurse, summed up in one Mitchell and Webb sketch...

As it goes with dating and being ABDL, well you'd hope the medical experience would get rid of the *ewww* factor that puts a lot of people off, and what with confidentiality they'd know how to keep a secret, but I doubt that someone's profession (any kind) is a guarantee of being a good partner for this kind of kink.

so true!

Last edited by a moderator:

anned

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Doctors have a higher more in depth knowledge, however not always a higher skill set.

I will have to agree to a point. doctors practice Medicine and from dealing with many doctors as a EMT many doctors need a lot more practice.

I have what can be called overactive bladder BUT it does not completely match those symptoms

after setting for long periods and then standing up it feels like something grabs my bladder and squeezes hard and is very painful.( muscle spasm) and i have catchalls DXs Peripheral Nerve Disorders. and fibromyalgia.
I also have minor BPH
My PC doctor claims that my problem is from the BPH and i know its neurological by the symptoms. my PC told me to limit fluid intake, but at the same time has me on water pills for diabetes and leg edema. and my heart doctor told me to stay well hydrated

I have got a lot better care over the years from PAs and Nurse practitioners.

- - - Updated - - -

Doctors have a higher more in depth knowledge, however not always a higher skill set.

I will have to agree to a point. doctors practice Medicine and from dealing with many doctors as a EMT many doctors need a lot more practice.

I have what can be called overactive bladder BUT it does not completely match those symptoms

after setting for long periods and then standing up it feels like something grabs my bladder and squeezes hard and is very painful.( muscle spasm) and i have catchalls DXs Peripheral Nerve Disorders. and fibromyalgia.
I also have minor BPH
My PC doctor claims that my problem is from the BPH and i know its neurological by the symptoms. my PC told me to limit fluid intake, but at the same time has me on water pills for diabetes and leg edema. and my heart doctor told me to stay well hydrated

Zeek61

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little

Doctors have a higher more in depth knowledge, however not always a higher skill set. Sometimes doctors don't know how to start iv's, titrate drips, set pumps, etc because their gift of knowledge is more practical in studying the entire picture and figuring out whats going on. That is where you are generalizing. Medical Research is science. Healthcare is science, art, compassion in an ever changing dynamic environment. Just because a doctor changes iv bags and administers meds doesn't mean the hospital is going bankrupt. Generalizing again. I understand you are going to be a doctor in medical research in your lab among your research staff. However, once you set foot in a hospital, medical doctors only reserve the right and respect to be addressed "doctor". By the way, awesome job on the medical research.

I just wanted to point out a few things. I definitely agree with what you said there Hyperlitegreen that healthcare is science, art, compassion and an ever changing environment. That pretty much sums up the the combination of things that a doctor is required to have. However, changing IVs, titrating drips, etc. is not part of our skill set for a reason (well at least, in major capital cities it isn't, if yu practice in rural areas you have to do all this on your own). The reason is that the nurses job is to provide support to the doctor by way of administering medications and taking care of IVs as well as any other needs that the patient may need. A doctors job is to talk with a person, get all the information from them, organise said information into relevant and irrelevant. Then, use this information to determine what is wrong with the person (as well as to rule out anything that is could potentially kill/harm that person) and then figure out what tests are required to prove it and finally, figure out a management plan for them.

The easiest way to describe the roles is that without nurses, doctors would be completely overburdened by the amount of work they would need to do. They would be so busy that they wouldnt be able to see any new people until they have manage to help everyone they are seeing. So nurses have an important role to support the doctors. That being said, without doctors nurses would end up standing around not knowing what to do with a person ... yes, some nurses might know what to do in some circumstances, but for the wide array of diseases and ways people can present, they would not know what to do. Basically, what i am trying to get at is that it is the doctors role to figure out what is going on with the patient and their management and then act as a leader in the healthcare setting to direct other staff/services to help the patient. So that is why a doctor's skill set doesnt include those things like changing IV bags, etc.

As far as the part about dealing with doctors by an EMT, i have noticed that doctors do tend to treat EMTs differently, with an air of disdain/etc. I spent some time with the EMTs here and they were absolutely fantastic and i hope that i dont end up treating them like crap because i know the kinds of stuff they go through. However, PAs and nurse practitioners both have to report to a supervising doctor. Here in Australia, we dont really have many PAs (they only just started the university program recently and i think there is only a small class that has graduated ... unfortunately there is no regulations in place for them here so they cant yet practice in the medical field). The idea is definitely a good one as they are able to take the load off the doctors so that easy cases can be sorted out whereas the patients that are more serious/unusual presentation can be handled by the doctor.

And lastly, things are slowly changing in the medical field with the way that doctors conduct themselves. Before, there was never any training for how to talk to people about their medical problems. It used to be that doctors had to learn it on the job. Now, there is a lot of training in how to talk to people appropriately and how to conduct yourself. Now, there is also a selection process in place (at least for my university) so that the university can selectively pick out people who they think definitely shouldnt be doctors (and the panel is usually run by doctors and volunteers from the community so it isnt biased in the least bit). As for me, i dont really demand respect from people because im a medical student (mainly because it means a lot of headaches for me with people asking me to look at this sore/etc. which im not qualified to comment on yet). As for how i see myself when i graduate, i really dont want to be called a doctor at all by my patients, im happy with them just calling me by my first name. For me, the title of doctor isnt really a huge thing at all (although, for some people, that is the only reason why they study medicine). After the stress of medical school and the amount of training and hard work, being called a different title isnt really a reward im looking for. Instead, being able to help people with their problems and to make people's lives better is a far better reward then a mere title can possibly give.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
[Removed]

I just wanted to point out a few things. I definitely agree with what you said there Hyperlitegreen that healthcare is science, art, compassion and an ever changing environment. That pretty much sums up the the combination of things that a doctor is required to have. However, changing IVs, titrating drips, etc. is not part of our skill set for a reason (well at least, in major capital cities it isn't, if yu practice in rural areas you have to do all this on your own). The reason is that the nurses job is to provide support to the doctor by way of administering medications and taking care of IVs as well as any other needs that the patient may need. A doctors job is to talk with a person, get all the information from them, organise said information into relevant and irrelevant. Then, use this information to determine what is wrong with the person (as well as to rule out anything that is could potentially kill/harm that person) and then figure out what tests are required to prove it and finally, figure out a management plan for them.

The easiest way to describe the roles is that without nurses, doctors would be completely overburdened by the amount of work they would need to do. They would be so busy that they wouldnt be able to see any new people until they have manage to help everyone they are seeing. So nurses have an important role to support the doctors. That being said, without doctors nurses would end up standing around not knowing what to do with a person ... yes, some nurses might know what to do in some circumstances, but for the wide array of diseases and ways people can present, they would not know what to do. Basically, what i am trying to get at is that it is the doctors role to figure out what is going on with the patient and their management and then act as a leader in the healthcare setting to direct other staff/services to help the patient. So that is why a doctor's skill set doesnt include those things like changing IV bags, etc.

As far as the part about dealing with doctors by an EMT, i have noticed that doctors do tend to treat EMTs differently, with an air of disdain/etc. I spent some time with the EMTs here and they were absolutely fantastic and i hope that i dont end up treating them like crap because i know the kinds of stuff they go through. However, PAs and nurse practitioners both have to report to a supervising doctor. Here in Australia, we dont really have many PAs (they only just started the university program recently and i think there is only a small class that has graduated ... unfortunately there is no regulations in place for them here so they cant yet practice in the medical field). The idea is definitely a good one as they are able to take the load off the doctors so that easy cases can be sorted out whereas the patients that are more serious/unusual presentation can be handled by the doctor.

And lastly, things are slowly changing in the medical field with the way that doctors conduct themselves. Before, there was never any training for how to talk to people about their medical problems. It used to be that doctors had to learn it on the job. Now, there is a lot of training in how to talk to people appropriately and how to conduct yourself. Now, there is also a selection process in place (at least for my university) so that the university can selectively pick out people who they think definitely shouldnt be doctors (and the panel is usually run by doctors and volunteers from the community so it isnt biased in the least bit). As for me, i dont really demand respect from people because im a medical student (mainly because it means a lot of headaches for me with people asking me to look at this sore/etc. which im not qualified to comment on yet). As for how i see myself when i graduate, i really dont want to be called a doctor at all by my patients, im happy with them just calling me by my first name. For me, the title of doctor isnt really a huge thing at all (although, for some people, that is the only reason why they study medicine). After the stress of medical school and the amount of training and hard work, being called a different title isnt really a reward im looking for. Instead, being able to help people with their problems and to make people's lives better is a far better reward then a mere title can possibly give.

You can't compare Doctors to Nurses. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Nurses are masters of patient care and Doctors are masters of medicine. Nurses don't work under doctors and doctors don't work under nurses. Nurses are equals eye to eye to doctors. Doctors support nurses and Nurses support Doctors. Get over yourself, nurses don't work for doctors. They work for the hospital. The hospital signs their paychecks. doctors are not their bosses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soakingboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
This has turned into one seriously strange thread. Stay diapered my friends, and stay happy!

Zeek61

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
You can't compare Doctors to Nurses. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Nurses are masters of patient care and Doctors are masters of medicine. Nurses don't work under doctors and doctors don't work under nurses. Nurses are equals eye to eye to doctors. Doctors support nurses and Nurses support Doctors. Get over yourself, nurses don't work for doctors. They work for the hospital. The hospital signs their paychecks. doctors are not their bosses.

First off, i think you need to calm down mainly because i have worked in a hospital (a lot considering it is part of my training) so i know how things actually run. Second, i think you need to re-read what i wrote and what i intended. For clarification, ill explain it out.

What i mean by nurses supporting doctors is that without the doctors, patients would not be able to get a diagnosis. Who is the one that talks to the patient to find everything out? who is the one that puts all the pieces together to come up with what could be wrong with the person? who is the one that orders tests? who is the one that writes your prescriptions for the medications you need? Because i can definitely tell you that it is not nurses that does all that. What would happen tomorrow if no doctors decided to turn up to work? The whole place would go to hell because nurses are not qualified to do all those things. Yes, i know that if nurses didnt show up to work it would be a ton of work for doctors and they would have absolutely no time for anything so it is a two way street. But, without a doctor, the nurse cannot provide the care that the doctor has put together. Sure, the nurses can comfort the patients but they cannot provide IV fluids to the patient (doctors put in canualas, write up the order for the patient to get the fluid and make sure that the patient doesnt have any other condition where providing fluids might kill them ... yes, in some cases providing a bag of fluid can kill someone).

I never said that doctors were the bosses of nurses i am simply stating how the actual work gets spread across the professions. Im not saying that doctors are all powerful because i know just how much nurses help doctors out. Try going out to a rural hospital where there are only a few staff then come and talk to me about what i think of nurses. The nurses out there pretty much run the rural hospitals because there are not enough doctors and the doctors that are there are so overburdened by work that they wouldnt be able to get through it all without the nurses helping out doing what they do. Not only that but try going so rural that there is a one bed hospital with the only staff being a nurse practitioner and a receptionist. Even in that setting, nurse practitioners have a limited scope of practice. Anything that becomes out of their hands (which in a rural setting like that is every second or third case) they have to ring up a doctor and explain the patient over the phone and then carry out the doctor's orders. Like i said, nurses support the decisions and management that a doctor has made. Nurses are there for an important reason, and without them the hospitals would not run very well at all. But likewise, without a doctor making the decision and formulating a management plan, the hospitals would not function at all.

Lastly, i dont agree with nurses are masters of patient care and doctors are masters of medicine. The two are NOT mutually exclusive. I know doctors who are terrible at their job. But, i have met a ton of doctors who are able to relate to patients in a way that is unbelievable. Likewise, i have met nurses that couldnt give two hoots about the patients they are caring for and pretend that they know everything (try working with a nurse that thinks she can do the job of a doctors ... trust me when i say it is difficult because you have to explain everything you do to that nurse as well as why what they say is not the right thing to be doing).

Lets be honest here, i have worked in a hospital setting so i know how the system works. I have seen a hospital that is in a rural setting and an urban setting. Not only that but i have seen a rural hospital (which i would call more of a clinic) where the only staff out there is a nurse practitioner and a receptionist. Dont tell me i am full of myself and dont imply that i dont know the roles of nurses and how they relate to doctors. You only have the experience of dating a medical professional, not the experience of working in that setting. And yes, i am writing this in a slightly angry/annoyed tone because it really ticks me off when people imply i dont know how the system works when i work within it and they have only seen a few seconds of it base on a personal experience of dating someone who works in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.