Handling hygiene question

• Thread starter Deleted member 58468
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58468

As I await my newer doctors, I wanted to ask what is the best way to handle urinary incontinence with pullups? Yesterday I sort of forgot I had a leak and sat in it awhile, only for my skin to burn/ be irritated badly after a few hours. I want to take better care of myself, so what should I do differently? I tend to be more proactive about switching pullups out at work, but also don't want my skin breaking out. I need to get better at changing right away when leaks happen too.

PCBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Don't use pull ups, use pads worn with tight fitting underwear or with fixation pants. Change as soon as you know your are wet. Urine is sterile when first passed, but on contact with air starts to degrade and the main compound it produces is Ammonia, not only does it smell, but it's a strong alkaline that burns the skin (it's what causes nappy rash. Also use a good barrier cream on any area that is likely to come into contact with urine.

rbm

Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
As I await my newer doctors, I wanted to ask what is the best way to handle urinary incontinence with pullups? Yesterday I sort of forgot I had a leak and sat in it awhile, only for my skin to burn/ be irritated badly after a few hours. I want to take better care of myself, so what should I do differently? I tend to be more proactive about switching pullups out at work, but also don't want my skin breaking out. I need to get better at changing right away when leaks happen too.
I use womens bladder control panties and have haf no problems since I started using them. either Speax or Knix

Zeke

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
If your urine is that caustic to your skin possibly you should be drinking more water. I know it’s sounds contrary to what you would want to do with urinary IC but it does truly help. It really helped me with both rash sensitivity as well as urine odors. I go through about 5-6 quarts a day and keep track by how often I have to refill my Brita pitcher. It’s also beneficial in helping to reduce, or eliminate urinary track infections as you’re flushing out the bacteria that managed to make to your bladder.

Last edited:

PupSpaz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
1. If your dehydrated, your urine is more concentrated and will be more caustic more quickly, so what's been said about staying hydrated is very accurate in my experience.

2. You may be wearing an inferior product that's not doing a good job of locking away wetness. If less wetness is resting against your skin, your less likely to get a rash. Disposable product companies have a lot of incentive to create products as cheaply as possible and encourage you to change as often as possible - more product sold at a lower cost to manufacture = more profit for them, but not necessarily a very good solution for you. Depending on your level of need, having to change at the first drop of leakage might mean you might as well just stay in the bathroom all day, or maybe it's appropriate for you if you only leak once every few days and are comfortable knowing you'll get a rash if you don't quickly change. Better products often cost more but allow you to be comfortable while wet longer (or even multiple wettings!) without fear of rash or the product leaking because they have a higher capacity and effectively "lock" the urine away from your skin drastically slowing down any reaction to air. If your product is giving you a rash if you don't change immediately, it may be more practical to try other products that work with your lifestyle and needs better.

3. Rashes can and do happen and the right cream can quickly help them heal, but items 1 and 2 should be your first line of defense against rashes - make it so your products are good enough (for your needs) that you don't need creams at every change. Changing products regularly is already a hassle, don't make more work for yourself because bad product choice or not staying hydrated.

Last edited:

checkingoutall

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
Several already noted the main reasons for your skin to react the way it does. Your fluid intake, type of protection are the two main things.
You also have to remember that each of our bodies are different, so the way our skin reacts to all of this is different as well. Good pull-ups not those bought in stores like Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. are very important if you want to continue using pull-ups. There are all kinds of creams that can help but you have to be careful using them because if you don't cover the cream with powder, the creams will stick to the protection you are using which can cause them not to absorb. Now on the other side of things, when using the really good protection, many creams, especially those that have petroleum in them can cause the protection to separate causing a mess.

Each of us have what works best for us, but that doesn't mean it's what will work for others. There are so many different things that causes each of us to choose what is best for ourselves. Our work can have an effect on what we wear, where we can change when we can change and so on. It's a lot of trial and error until we find what works for us.

georgianchants131

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
Obvious, change your diaper. I can't use pull-ups. I really need a good quality diaper. Drink plenty of water. Use a nice cream or paste. For some reason, my skin is really tough. I rarely get a rash. Thank god. If you can use Nullo then use it. I do. I haven't had any bad reactions.