Guns!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
So ....I got a gun and I need alil advice on it ...its a 22 single shot bolt action ...works great...but when i aim it...i have to arm alil higher then the crosshairs show is this common?

It takes .22 Short, Long or LR ...whats the different in these and what should I get?

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
The LRs have a flatter trajectory than the shorts. Is that what your shooting? The scope has adjustments on the top and side to sight it in for you, the ammo you’re using and the range your shooting from. Look up the scope on the web.

Nam

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
It could just be the distance between you and the cans.

WoXxY

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent
.22 LR's are easiest to find and usually everyone has 'em. Find some higher velocity ones to flatten the flight path.

You should sight your scope in for the distance you usually shoot at if it's only for target practice.
Is it on target at half distance or closer?
Do you mean that it shoots lower than the x-hairs or above them? Try giving it about 4 clicks per every inch off center at first, it should get you in the zone. Also, use a bench rest or something to steady it with when you're trying to center it.
At those distances, I suggest getting a bipod and you can hunt pennies instead of cans :D

maccracker18

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
im not positive on the trajectory on a .22 LR but my guess is either your sights are off or its just the round dropping over distance. Try moving closer and see if that helps, if it doesn't then its your sights

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Everybody's suggested pretty much everything you might be able to do to modify the way it shoots, so I don't think I'm offering any new advice!

That aside, every gun is something you need to get used to shooting, especially if you're going for precision. That rifle is not going to shoot the exact same way another rifle of the same make and modlel is going to shoot. Even the tiniest, most miniscule changes in make can make it function differently... but that does not mean that it functions poorly! This might be a matter of the type of ammunition (have you tried another manufacturer of .22 ammo?), a matter of sight adjustment, or a matter of distance. Also, if you're shooting through a scope, remember that a scope is and always will be an artificial form of sighting -- in the end, while it helps you achieve a better sight-picture, it does not necessarily have the abiltiy to achieve more accuracy than an iron-sight.

Throw into the mix the possiblity of human "error" (and I'm not suggesting that you're a poor shooter, but instead a shooter with a different technique than the next man), there are so many little reasons why the gun could be shooting low. :) Check out all of the technical aspects first, and then let us know what happens!

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
I was going to suggest a different round, but Rance beat me to it. As a former competition shooter, I can tell you that ammo makes a huge difference. Each round is a bit different, and it will take a while to find one that you like and suits your style best. I can also tell you that with a bullet that light, wind makes a big difference, but on a calm day with no wind the .22 round won't drop more than an inch or so at that distance, depending on what round your shooting. For target shooting at that distance, you should be using an LR target round of some sort.

I've never been a scope shooter. I've never been able to sight on in properly, so I always just use my eye and judgment to pull off a shot. So it could also be that your sight is just off a bit. Try what others have suggested to sight it in, as I am clueless as to how that's done. Like I said, I've never managed to do it.

If your a new shooter, then I have a bit more advice for you. Be sure that you squeeze the trigger slowly, don't pull it. If you do, you can jerk the gun slightly and that can make you miss. Also be sure that the gun is comfortable and balanced in your hand, add some barrel weight if you need to, it makes a huge difference having a well balanced gun, cause you don't have to fight it as much to hold it steady.

Oh yeah: the difference between a .22 short and long, is the length of the bullet, and the amount of grain that is inside it. So an LR will go farther with more velocity and kinetic force than a short round will.

Last edited:
Role
The rounds I tried this time are REM. Subsonic LR's ....had alot of dud rounds ...so going back to the FED. LR's my Dad give me with the rifle, also how often should i have to clean the weapon?

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
The rounds I tried this time are REM. Subsonic LR's ....had alot of dud rounds ...so going back to the FED. LR's my Dad give me with the rifle, also how often should i have to clean the weapon?
Every time you use it for log periods/every time you plan on useing it for a long time/ every time you put it up for a long time/ every 3-4 days of light shooting.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
What Val said, but also make sure that you keep the gun lubricated as well. Oil things like the trigger mechanism, the chamber, bolt, and mag release. Oiling your mag springs once on a while is good too, it keeps the spring moving smoothly and cuts down on jamming.

Role
Mag springs....its a single shot...
Was the Non Fire due to dud round are a dull firing pin?

Musickid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
... Off topic time! Sorry but I thought it would be appropriate (tell me if it's not) to start a conversation in this thread about competitive target shooting!

I shoot on my school's rifle team, we won states last year, undefeated in section, and we are doing well this year so far.

Anyone else shoot competitively? 3p, prone, or whatever, discuss?!?

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
1) is the gun new, how many rounds have been fired through it (estimate)

2) the ammo you were using that were duds, how old were the rounds, and had they been exposed to high levels of moisture, or humidity, for any length of time?

The point is, if the gun is new, and the rounds are old/ moist, it's an ammo problem. If it's an old gun with new name brand ammo, it might be the pin.

Most .22's are a rimfire design(the pin strikes on the edge of the cartridge) and the pins are more blunt than a centerfire weapon.

If you suspect the pin, call a gunsmith. There are few parts that can't be repaired/ replaced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.