Great news story about Kimberly Clark's R&D process...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenanigans404

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Its from Forbes Magazine and describes the lengths that diaper manufactures go through to stay on top of the market.....if you wanna read this article go to the forbes website and search for "Designing the iPhone of diapers"

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I did exactly what you said and I got nothing about K-C nor huggies.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I couldn't find the story about K.C., but did find an article that says that the average baby uses around 10,000 diapers. That seems like a lot, but it could be true.

Here's the link to this story if you want to take a look Decisions: 29 Green Choices - Forbes.com

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Thank you for da link!!!

I wonder if they put three years of research into any adult diapers... Probly not, but if they did, that would be awesome!

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Ahh! The joys of engineering. I thought I wanted to design F1 cars but now I have it. I want to design diapers :rolleyes:

A really interesting article, both from my interest in anything like that as someone who wants to move into engineering, and as a TBDL. Thank you so much for it.

D

daria7483

Oh wow. That article basically describes my dream job. Very interesting read, thanks for posting the link, sparkmaster!

And I like the analogy of "the ipod of diapers." Sounds pretty accurate :)

DanElmontan

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Makes me wonder how they go about designing Goodnites....put kids in bed and pump saline solutions into their Goodnites until they leak???

T

TenaTim

Diaper research

Regrettably, for many companies the main research issue in adult diapers is cost. Thats because the average buyer of adult diapers is not incontinent himself, but is the supply manager of some hospital or nursing home - and they want to pay as little as possible. Thats why there are so many poor products in the market.

Greetings, Tim

010Daniel010

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, that's pretty ridiculous...I mean it's cool but we need some of this research going towards diapers that are a weee bit bigger :p

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I believe there are some companies out there now that are trying to focus on making incontinence products for active adults. After all... not everyone who is IC is bedridden and in a nursing home.

I really don't understand the trend towards cheap thin diapers for adults. It means more changes, more leaks, and an overall lower quality of life for those wearing them. Even from the cost standpoint alone it doesn't make sense.

Let's look at a cheap diaper compared to an expensive one... in terms of capacity alone.
Take something like Assurance... made by Kendall... which is equivalent with the lowest quality of institutional brief on the market. They cost $0.50 each. Now you get something like a Dry 24/7 which costs $1... twice as much yes, but that dry will hold 4 times as much as the Assurance... which means it actually paid for itself with the savings.

D

daria7483

Yeah, but in a nursing home or hospital, which is probably where most adult diapers are used, the CNA's must change the diaper every predetermined number of hours. So as long as the cheap adult diaper can hold up for that long, there's no point in paying for anything with a larger capacity. And as you state, there are higher quality products out there available for those who are aware enough to care and pay for their own. But many of those still functioning on their own aren't fully incontinent...they maybe just have a little bit of bladder leakage every now again, so they wear the absorbent pads rather than full diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.