Votes: 3 6.7%
  • gameplay

Votes: 42 93.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gamebaby

I was just thinking about this when playing my nintindo64. The graphics are bad but the game was ok. But i only care about the game play not the graphics. But if you had to pick one for a game you want which would you care about?

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Definitely gameplay. It's 5x more important. You can make a game pretty, but if it sucks, then it's still crap.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think it's obvious enough... Only idiots would select graphics. >_>
Or, at least, people who are very inexperienced when it comes to games.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
I'm... surprisingly going to agree with you on that one, DarkSun. I'm a CoD4 nut, and I purposely turn things down just to play perfectly without loosing a single FPS point.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I prefer gameplay WAY more. Though I will admit I bought crysis for 20 bucks to "benchmark" my Nvida 8800GT video card and boy does that game look REALLY good even on medium with high textures.

Oh I also get to play UT3 and Oblivion maxed out at around 55-60 FPS (42-45 FPS out doors in Oblivion)

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Gameplay...But if there are versions with better graphics, I will go for those

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i gotta go with game play example i really love kingdom hearts 1 but when the second one came out i loved the graphics but not really the game -____-

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Both, only because a game can be wonderful and all, but when you're on a monitor like mine with a game running at 800x600 resolution(all the game will support), it looks terrible.

And because even if the game is fun seeing bland levels over and over again, ruins the immersion aspect...though I guess that's more on level design which would be part of gameplay =/

This is why I like Blizzard's game, their graphics are a 'generation behind' but they make up for it in great level design and gameplay.

Gameplay > Graphics, but graphics are sometimes a factor in certain games(one highly based on immersion as well as gameplay(MMOs))

Last edited:

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Wow, the results are Unaminous, or however you spell it.

But how can you have good gameplay without good graphics?

Let me re-phrase, You could have a game with Great graphics but horrible game play, but you couldn't have a game with good game play and horrible graphics.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Unanimous*

I go for the game, I have never really paid attention to graphics. I'm quite happy with the old Marios World for Nintendo 64. I think those graphics are pretty alright, anything better is just icing on the cake, but not necessary for me to enjoy the game.

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
Sorry, I'm going to buck the trend here and go with graphics. I don't care how *GOOD* a game is, if it's ugly as hell. You all seem to be focusing on the second word of "Video Games" and not the first word. Ugly graphics ruin just as many games as bad gameplay does; sometimes even moreso. A game like Metal Gear Solid 4 or Grand Theft Auto 4 wouldn't have been anywhere near the masterpieces they were if they looked like Atari 2600 games :\

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Sorry, I'm going to buck the trend here and go with graphics. I don't care how *GOOD* a game is, if it's ugly as hell. You all seem to be focusing on the second word of "Video Games" and not the first word. Ugly graphics ruin just as many games as bad gameplay does; sometimes even moreso. A game like Metal Gear Solid 4 or Grand Theft Auto 4 wouldn't have been anywhere near the masterpieces they were if they looked like Atari 2600 games :\

I believe they would be "masterpieces" if we didn't have better and better technology for graphics...We just expect everything now adays to have better graphics, because we have the technology to do it...But if we didn't the games could still be "masterpieces"

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I believe they would be "masterpieces" if we didn't have better and better technology for graphics...We just expect everything now adays to have better graphics, because we have the technology to do it...But if we didn't the games could still be "masterpieces"
like pac-man that game will always be a masterpiece its simple not good graphics but still a classic

Role
No they couldn't, you can't tell a story like the MGS series with piss poor graphics, it's that little immersion thing I mentioned earlier.

I bet you saw the Matrix for it's amazing story line and not for the cutting-edge(at the time) special effects and action sequences, right?

like pac-man that game will always be a masterpiece its simple not good graphics but still a classic
You mean running around a static never changing maze with a consistent pattern all the time? Real fun.

That's like saying pong is on the level of Kojima's games...

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
maybe its just me that could play pac-man for hours and still be entertained ^^

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
No they couldn't, you can't tell a story like the MGS series with piss poor graphics, it's that little immersion thing I mentioned earlier.

I bet you saw the Matrix for it's amazing story line and not for the cutting-edge(at the time) special effects and action sequences, right?
I don't see movies because of special effects, or for their story...I can't really say why I see them, they just look good, and I see them...You could tell Metal Gear with "poor graphics"...Sure it wouldn't have elaborate movie scenes and stuff, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a bad story...I mean, Zelda had a good story, and it started with bad graphics

You mean running around a static never changing maze with a consistent pattern all the time? Real fun.

That's like saying pong is on the level of Kojima's games...
Pac-Man is a masterpiece in a different class than today's games

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
Metal Gear Solid 4 would not have been the same game if it were released five years ago or on an inferior system. Period. It was a cinematic masterpiece with immersion far exceeding anything released to date and while it's graphics weren't the SOLE reason for that..it wouldn't have been possible without them.

Those who preach preach preach about 'graphics are unimportant', go, uninstall all your games, sell all your consoles and buy an atari 2600. You'll find everything you need there. Because, afterall, graphics don't matter, right?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Metal Gear Solid 4 would not have been the same game if it were released five years ago or on an inferior system. Period. It was a cinematic masterpiece with immersion far exceeding anything released to date and while it's graphics weren't the SOLE reason for that..it wouldn't have been possible without them.

Those who preach preach preach about 'graphics are unimportant', go, uninstall all your games, sell all your consoles and buy an atari 2600. You'll find everything you need there. Because, afterall, graphics don't matter, right?

Metal Gear could have been the same game, as long as all the other Metal Gears were release 5 years prematurely...Now when I say "same game" I don't mean exactly the same, but I mean that it could as epic as it was...I'm not saying graphics are unimportant, but you can still have good games with poor graphics

Role
I don't see movies because of special effects, or for their story...I can't really say why I see them, they just look good, and I see them...You could tell Metal Gear with "poor graphics"...Sure it wouldn't have elaborate movie scenes and stuff, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a bad story...I mean, Zelda had a good story, and it started with bad graphics

Pac-Man is a masterpiece in a different class than today's games

Look back and compare the original Zelda game to Windwaker / Twilight Princess, then tell me which ones had a stronger story and a deeper sense of immersion and 'epicness'

But to be fair like I said, you always need gameplay ahead of graphics, which is why Crysis failed so much.

And to be fair on the other end, graphics arn't everything, if you put a lot into complexity and level design then that can make up for graphics...but not if its an 8bit PoS.

Woo go sitting on the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.