Goodnites bad batch

Prairie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Occasionally I get a bad batch of Goodnites and they leak a lot. Some pictures from a couple (almost every one was like this, tears like this throughout). The tears are several mm wide and are in the plastic layer. Naturally they leak quite a bit. Kimberly-Clark is addressing the issue. Be sure to report bad batches you happen to get because they help the company improve quality and avoid potential customers turning away. You can check yours with a phone's flashlight held inside the pant, illuminating the inside while you look from the outside. Note that sometimes the glue causes apparent tiny hairline cracks but it's just because it makes things more transparent. A magnifier helps to tell the difference.

This is where Underjams shined, never having any issues like this. I think P&G has better quality control than KCC. Too bad their product is vastly inferior to Goodnites in every other way.

tear 2.jpgtear3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL
I have run into that several times. Very annoying. On the Goodnites,
It was only a few out of a pack.

I had bought the Target brand Up&Up versions a while back, and every single pull-up had tears like you show. I can’t find them any longer so unless they sell them in store I probably won’t get them again.

I haven’t had the problem with Goodnites in quite a long time though. Were these a fairly recent purchase that were a bad batch?

I’ve experienced the same before as well.

Switching over to a thinner sheet of plastic a few years ago likely contributed to the tearing. The thickness is pretty close to a grocery bag now.

As strange as it could be, I never ever experienced this, even with the batch that were tight cause they used wrong elastics for a few boxes. I'll keep a close eye, but I would notice my cover diaper being wet if that would happen, and it didn't happen for quite awhile now.

Underjams had an even thinner plastic liner but they were always defect-free. I think something errant on their line causes this. I wonder whether it could even be the glue used, if it's hot when applied and it globs up too much and melts the plastic. The patterns are similar shapes but not the exact same, as you'd expect if it were some sharp piece that is puncturing it.

I bought them from someone locally and I'm not sure how new they are. The batch code was PA005013B.

Overall the new designs and pants made on the new line have been pretty solid. I bought a 75-pack a few months back from Amazon and they have been very good quality, no leaks at all, not even sitting down. This is the first in the past few years that has been this bad.

Last edited:
I recall the first time I bought these new Goodnites, they did tore easily and even on a bit of the front cover would start to tear. It is truly unfortunate that they designed them like this.

But ever sense then, I haven’t had too much issues with the sides tearing or anything.

KCC is good about making right issues like this. There's nothing unreasonable about contacting them with issues with the product that clearly the intended audience would have a problem with (weak elastic, leaks like I posted). Even if you don't think they should care about your issue, you're helping them improve their product for everyone.

Prairie said:
KCC is good about making right issues like this. There's nothing unreasonable about contacting them with issues with the product that clearly the intended audience would have a problem with (weak elastic, leaks like I posted). Even if you don't think they should care about your issue, you're helping them improve their product for everyone.

They could even want you to send them back, but more than often its just the lot number on the box they care for, and if you take the time to contact them by phone and not just an email, you may even receive some coupons for new packs, last time I did it, I got 4 coupons, 1 of them was for a box of Goodnites for free, 3 other coupons offered 3$ off next purchase, so not bad for just the trouble of having them on the phone.

Back