Good Wireless Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Is there something about the Linksys routers that will offer better coverage through the whole house?

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Oh yes, and more! With the linksys routers I have + DD-WRT, I can get to my Wifi from halfway down the block! With DD-WRT, you can change the TX (Transmit) power to whatever you want (keep it below 70 if you know what's best for you ;))

Right here I have my WRT54GS, as my main router on my desk. Downstairs and across the house, I have my WRT54G, which is set up as a Repeater Bridge, so that the downstairs computer is connected like;

WRT54GS --> Wireless Air --> WRT54G --> Downstairs computer via ethernet

But that's just my geekyness at work; plus I have two routers. But since it's a repeater bridge, it boosts the signal of my WiFi network, which is how my SSID can be seen for so far. (I use 65mW TX Power on my routers)

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I've got the Apple Airport Extreme, and it's great. What I like most about it is that I can plug in my printers and hard drives to it so I can wirelessly back up and print stuff from all of our computers. Here's a link.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Oh yes, and more! With the linksys routers I have + DD-WRT, I can get to my Wifi from halfway down the block! With DD-WRT, you can change the TX (Transmit) power to whatever you want (keep it below 70 if you know what's best for you ;))

Right here I have my WRT54GS, as my main router on my desk. Downstairs and across the house, I have my WRT54G, which is set up as a Repeater Bridge, so that the downstairs computer is connected like;

WRT54GS --> Wireless Air --> WRT54G --> Downstairs computer via ethernet

But that's just my geekyness at work; plus I have two routers. But since it's a repeater bridge, it boosts the signal of my WiFi network, which is how my SSID can be seen for so far. (I use 65mW TX Power on my routers)
Changing the transmit power.... is that safe? I mean, not just for the router itself, but interference-wise? Will it make wireless phones screw up? :confused:

And, uh, what about RX? Wouldn't that still be an issue?

I tried the thing with two routers before, but I think one of them didn't have a wireless bridge mode. Does that normally work with two routers made by different companies?

I was -sorta- hoping to get a new router today when I go somewhere, but I'm still not decided....

Last edited:

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Yes, changing the TX power is safe for everything, as long as you keep it below 70mW, which is the maximum the WRT54* can handle without cooking; which is why I keep both my routers at 65mW. Never had a problem with nothing (as opposed to the default ~23mW on the standard firmware, where you would have to be on the top floor to get WiFi :p). Now I can get into my WiFi from down the block :).

AFAIR, RX power on these routers are variable, they change whenever it is needed, so there's no option to change RX power.

Only some router's (and/or their firmware, take the WRT54* for example, the firmware didn't have repeater mode, but the router supported it and you can do it with DD-WRT) have repeater modes, and/or their firmwares. my two WRT54GS/G setup went without a hitch, and went 1-2-3.

Other routers that support repeater should work with other routers.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
All I can say is...never buy a D-Link...the routers suck most severely and their tech support is even worse than their routers!

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
So linksys is good then? a lot of the WRT/etc stuff is confusing me - I know like, nothing about routers >_>

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
My networking teacher insists that you will never-ever-ever get fired at a job for buying Cisco equipment. So yeah, Linksys is good.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Does DD-WRT work on the WRT54G2? And is that router any good? It seems to have internal antennas or something like that.

I could have got the WRT54G today, but I want the WRT54GS for speedbooster (which they didn't have). Is Speedbooster worthwhile? ... or should I have just bought the one I saw?

Is MIMO unnecessary if I'm going to get a Linksys and use DD-WRT?

WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router (Compatible with Linux)
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Compatible/dp/B000BTL0OA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211688607&sr=8-1
What is that router? Why wouldn't it be compatible with Linux? What's so special about it? (not that it matters cause I haven't been using Linux much anyway) It seems the same as the WRT54G.

And.... WTF is this?
Amazon.com: Linksys WRT54GX4 Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX400: Electronics

How about this one?
Linksys WRT100 RangePlus Wireless G Broadband Router with MIMO
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT100-RangePlus-Wireless-Broadband/dp/B000WCUQ8W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211688981&sr=1-3

(sorry for asking so many questions)

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Hey... this topic can't die yet. I'm still in need of some help here... :eek:

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
What can you do with DD-WRT anyway?

The EnGenius router looks nice. It even has a removable antenna. That would involve also buying an antenna though. Is it just a standard G router?
The antenna is included. We also have bigger and more powerful units that put out an even greater signal. The one I listed is just the cheapest one we sell... it's great for in home use.

Why pay $100+ for something just for the house... ya' know?

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Does DD-WRT work on the WRT54G2? And is that router any good? It seems to have internal antennas or something like that.

I could have got the WRT54G today, but I want the WRT54GS for speedbooster (which they didn't have). Is Speedbooster worthwhile? ... or should I have just bought the one I saw?

Is MIMO unnecessary if I'm going to get a Linksys and use DD-WRT?

WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router (Compatible with Linux)
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-...1688607&sr=8-1
What is that router? Why wouldn't it be compatible with Linux? What's so special about it? (not that it matters cause I haven't been using Linux much anyway) It seems the same as the WRT54G.

And.... WTF is this?
Amazon.com: Linksys WRT54GX4 Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX400: Electronics

How about this one?
Linksys WRT100 RangePlus Wireless G Broadband Router with MIMO
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT100...1688981&sr=1-3

(sorry for asking so many questions)
Don't be afraid to ask questions; that's something that I love doing, answering them.

WRT54GS has something called SpeedBooster, Afterburner, whatever you want to call it. For most people, it isn't worth it, not to mention that SpeedBooster/Afterburner doesn't work unless you have a compatible speedbooster/afterburner card in your client systems.

The WRT54G is a good choice; and since I'm at school I can't really research the WRT54G2's compatibility. But when I get home I certainly will check.

The WRT54GL is also just a variant of the G and GS. IMHO, as a lot of others here I know will agree, they are really the same.

Yikes, the WRT100. My friend Mike has/had that router when he first got his ISP. That thing blows! The WiFi crapped out every hour or so, which required a restart, and sometimes DHCP would give you some whacky IP address, not a 192.168.x.x like it should've... Thing was a nightmare.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Hmm, I looked up the SpeedBooster thing. You're half right about it. It will still provide extra throughput to a regular 802.11g adapter, but a compatible Speedbooster/Afterburner adapter is needed to take full advantage of it.

Anyway, MIMO isn't really that important? Most of the Linksys routers don't have it. The ones that do don't seem to support DD-WRT.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Exactly how much power are you looking to put out here? Comboing my EnGenius card and EnGenius router I can pick up signal from my place at 100 yards away. Our ECB-3220 unit can output up to 400mw (26dBm). It does 20dBm at 54mbps.

I mean... is your house like super huge or something?

Put it this way... the company I work for sells heavy duty wireless radios to WISPs and government agencies world wide. Ya' know... the stuff you see on the big towers. The EnGenius stuff is the lowest end of the spectrum. We can sell you a tower for the back yard that will create a 5 mile wireless hotspot. How big do you want to go?

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
We can sell you a tower for the back yard that will create a 5 mile wireless hotspot. How big do you want to go?
?!?! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Gimme one of those :worshippy: How much they go for?!

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
I want something a little better than a standard router, but still just for the house. My current router provides a signal to the other side of the house, but it's a weak signal. Plus my current router needs to be reset a lot... sometimes multiple times a day, though maybe only once in a whole week when lucky.

Question about that EnGenius Router you posted earlier, Darkfinn. That ESR-1220....
100mW Output Power
Is that the same as the TX power thing....?

Manveru, did you find a router yet?

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Output power is the same as TX power, yes.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
So that thing's going to give me 2x as much more range than a Linksys with DD-WRT?
Though.... unlike WRT54GS... it only has one antenna. How would that affect the range/signal?

Role
Private
I have a lynksys myself. From what a very smart computer guy friend of mine told me, the lynksys series are definitely one of the best.

One of the best or not still, the router always gets some sort of error eventually however, thats the hassle of havin' a wireless router.
I've heard rumors that those routers aren't as good as they used to be. Haven't actually used one myself though.

I need a new router because mine sucks. It sometimes screws up a few times a day and limits some of the settings I can change (can't set MTU past 1454). It was cheap though, so I shouldn't have expected any better. But anyway, I want to get a new one sometime relatively soon. What's better.... the pre-N routers or some G router with MIMO? Or something else?
I've got and would recommend a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Mine is a fairly old one at this point (from a few years back) and it's pretty solid. I got this specific brand/model of wifi router for a couple main resons:
  1. The WRT54G series is widely supported with third-party firmware images.
  2. The router is pretty well-documented for hacking (in the true sense of the word)
  3. Finally, it's a pretty good piece of kit in itself

If you're going to get one, I would recommend the following:
  • Update the firmware to the newest supported image.
  • Update the flash image (the "operating system") to something like Tomato.

I went with Tomato rather than the out-of-the-box flash image because I didn't have enough granularity and control (but I deal with Cisco IOS and friends, so that may just be me).

I can't really talk to issues of the router having errors or failing; my network equipment typically comes down for only a few reasons:
  • Power failure (and full drain of the UPS battery)
  • Firmware/Flash update
  • Intense weather with strong lightning

My equipment had uptimes from 5 months to over a year before last night's really bad weather took out power for a while. Suffice it to say, I'm pretty pleased with the Linksys box - there's a lot of bang for about $60 (and sweat-equity) in that box.

I would prefer a linksys WRT54G or WRT54g with booster, i have owned one for two yrs and it has not failed me yet.
I can heartily second that.

Status
Not open for further replies.