Going to Doctors Diapered

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdb2004

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Cowgirl gave a good example of what I meant with the History and Physical comment earlier so just to take advantage of that:
So lets say Cowgirl walks in to the Emergency Department (ED, continuing my crusade against the use of ER/Emergency Room... annoying popular NBC television programs ;)) and then after checking in and being assigned a bed I walk in to take her history, I ask what brings her in today, and she will probably mention that she has had what seems like a UTI and has been suffering from incontinence due to that. After hearing that if I were to notice she was wearing diapers on exam it would be unremarkable and it wouldn't be mentioned.

As far as the percentages, I am guessing you were probably on a inpatient unit that probably had more patients who in some way limited mobility wise, or just a very old patient population. I will say that if I were to rank the areas where I have seen the most the top will defiantly be inpatient units (Well assuming the newborn nursery doesn't count ;)). As far as the ED goes I can easily go a shift or more without seeing any patients wearing a diaper. With outpatient it can be even longer, though that clearly depend on populations. I have gone weeks in Peds without seeing anyone of inappropriate age wearing any sort of protection, but get into practices which have larger proportions of elderly and there would be fewer days without noticing it. That said, it definitely isn't a day-to-day occurrence if you are going to see a pediatrician, and if you are younger and seeing an Family Practice doc or general Internal Medicine, it wouldn't be something they see too often on a patient of your age.

Role
  1. Private
Also just to mention, all medical professionals are required to abide by HIPAA, which forbids them to mention any medical related facts and information that can be linked to an individual. For example if cowgirl had laceration on her lower back from riding her horse, and I drove up in my ambulance, did an evaluation seeing the top of her diaper while examining her. I could later tell someone that I saw a woman with a diaper on, that woman had a laceration on her lower back, but I could not tell anyone that the woman was an 18 year old named cowgirl. That would be a violation of HIPAA, and thus would be illegal, and then cowgirl could sue the heck out of me. same thing applies to all medical professionals.

And also allong those lines for reporting I would have no reason to report that cowgirl was wearing a diaper, so no one but me (and I couldn't mention it) would be able to link cowgirl to diapers through that incident.

I donno why we are refering to cowgirl, (I have no idea if you have ever had a lower back laceration, while wearing a diaper. I have seen lower back lacerations from equestrian events though; went flying off their quarter horse and slammed into the wall cutting their back and tareing up their really expensive show clothes... ouch) but hey why not :) If you don't mind, otherwise we can refer to me or someone else if this discussion goes on, I don't mind.

On a side note, if I were a vet treating a monkey named jane that was wearing I diaper I could tell anyone I wanted to that jane the monkey wears diapers. I wouldn't have to worry about getting sued or arrested, but I might have to wory about having poop flung at me lol.

as a guy I would much rather be in a diaper then have a cath.. then again I don't see the reason for a cath if I was even able to go willingly or not. Isn't it used primaly for people who literary can't go dispute all effort?

Oh... 4,000th post BTW.

Ugh yeah I have never been in a hospital as a patient; other then ER once or twice, but I would definatly demand a diaper before a cath. When I was in school we had to do caths on a dummy.... egh it hurts just thinking about it. I WANT A DIAPER NOT A CATH!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Role
  1. Incontinent
as a guy I would much rather be in a diaper then have a cath.. then again I don't see the reason for a cath if I was even able to go willingly or not. Isn't it used primaly for people who literary can't go dispute all effort?

It is a standard procedure to have a cath inserted if you're having a procedure done in the hospital, particularly surgery. They want to make sure that your kidneys are functioning properly for one, and they can also test for other things using your urine.

I've had 8 surgeries so far, and 6 of them have been as a knocked out, doped up inpatient for some serious problems, 4 of them for my back. And each time they inserted a catheter after I was out of it, I'm assuming because of the pain involved, thankfully. But even though I'm incontinent, once they removed the catheter, I had trouble urinating, and had to be recathed in order to drain my bladder, until the effects of the drugs had worn off enough to allow my bladder to begin to function normally again, or as normal as it can that is. After my 3rd back surgery when I was fused from the T10 to the S1 vertebra, I spent a total of 17 or 18 days, I can't recall the exact number now, but anyway, I was in the hospital for 8 days and in a rehab hospital for another 9 or 10 days, and during the time in the hospital, I was always cathed, and in the rehab hospital, I was cathed for the first 3 or 4 days, after which they would check my bladder regularly, like every 4 to 6 hours with a type of sonogram to see just how full it was, and until I began to go on my own, I was regularly cathed to drain my bladder. Once I told them that I knew how to do it myself and would rather do it that way, they would still check my bladder then give me the catheter to drain it with. It took a full 14 or 15 days before I was able to stop being catherterized. And let me tell you, it SUCKED!!!
On a side note, another horrible side effect of all the pain meds I was given was that I hadn't had a bowel movement in 14 days. You want to talk about painful! I finally had to have 3 enemas to get things to move again. I never want to go through that again.

Res

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
Can't say that I have or ever will. That being said I don't get diapered too much now but me and my boyfriend are going to try for full 24/7 so who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.