Given up on cloth boosters because of stink!

Abdlchriscrinkle

Crinkly rock star!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've been using cloth boosters every night for the last year, and after trying many different methods of storing used ones before washing, and cleaning as well, I've decided that using bonafide baby diaps as stuffers is the most convenient way to achieve extra absorbency.

The smell of my own urine coming from cloth boosters is so much nastier and pungent than any other disposable product. I literally can't stand it anymore. I can smell it in my bed after a couple nights, and my diaper pail is just brutal too.
There must be something about cloth that amplifies instead of reduces odors, especially microfiber!

I really don't know how people that wear cloth all the time can handle the odors... 🤢
And before anybody begins with the ''you should be trying this...'' to cut down or eliminate smell,
I ASSURE YOU, I've tried it all. Still super gross ammonia reek that is disgusting.

chamberpot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
I never had a problem with smell when I wore cloth , I always kept the wet ones in a pail of water with a cup of vinegar in it until washday for them

Reactions: Cottontail and Abdlchriscrinkle

Abdlchriscrinkle

Crinkly rock star!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
chamberpot said:
I never had a problem with smell when I wore cloth , I always kept the wet ones in a pail of water with a cup of vinegar in it until washday for them
I rinse all of my cloth boosters right away in the morning after use, and store in a wet pail too, it just seems to somehow bring out the ammonia tenfold. I hydrate the very same with all disposables, and don't ever have that putrid stench like that. I dunno

Reactions: Cottontail

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Synthetic fibers are notoriously stink-prone, especially if you have hard water. They do indeed "magnify" the stink because it tends not to wash out. You think you've gotten them clean, but then you sort of "reactivate" old smells in your diapers when you wet them. And it's not just diapers. Polyester clothing also holds onto body odors and make you think you have 10x the BO you actually do. Polyester is evil!

If you decide to give those microfiber boosters another try, be sure your wet pail includes borax or another water softening agent. Borax is "old school" but works very well. I have hard water, and I consider it essential, as otherwise even my cotton diapers will get smelly. Borax (or Arm & Hammer Detergent Booster, or whatever softener you use) basically binds to dissolved solids in your urine and in your water and prevents them from crystalizing on the fibers. They're then easily washed away. Vinegar is a mild acid and can have a similar effect, but I've not found it to be strong enough for my needs.

Since your boosters are already (probably) holding some stink, you may need to "strip" them before returning them to service--again, if you want to. There are lots of recipes for stripping cloth diapers, and many of them are pretty harsh. I prefer a slow, braindead approach. It's rare that I need to strip my diapers, but when I do, I just soak them over night in the same borax solution, wash them, and repeat that 2-3 more times over a couple of days. For me, that's worked very well and avoids the need for bleach and some of the other bothersome stuff you'll see prescribed.

Last but not least: If you're using the "normal" cycle on your washer, especially if it's a "high efficiency" washer, it's likely that you're not getting enough water through the diapers. Consider using a cycle with more water. Ours has a "towels" setting which I find works very well. On others it might be called "heavy duty," or you might have to manually adjust the water. I generally add some borax or other detergent booster to the laundry per the instructions on the container. We do this for all of our laundry, actually. Our washer doesn't have a provision for automatically adding stuff like that to supplemental rinse cycles, so I generally don't do extra rinses.

(You might also ditch the microfiber for cotton.)

Anyway... That's probably all moot if you've truly resolved to ditch the cloth boosters, but for posterity... :)

Reactions: CLPP, LaLoneDigi, Belarin and 2 others

Abdlchriscrinkle

Crinkly rock star!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Cottontail said:
Synthetic fibers are notoriously stink-prone, especially if you have hard water. They do indeed "magnify" the stink because it tends not to wash out. You think you've gotten them clean, but then you sort of "reactivate" old smells in your diapers when you wet them. And it's not just diapers. Polyester clothing also holds onto body odors and make you think you have 10x the BO you actually do. Polyester is evil!

If you decide to give those microfiber boosters another try, be sure your wet pail includes borax or another water softening agent. Borax is "old school" but works very well. I have hard water, and I consider it essential, as otherwise even my cotton diapers will get smelly. Borax (or Arm & Hammer Detergent Booster, or whatever softener you use) basically binds to dissolved solids in your urine and in your water and prevents them from crystalizing on the fibers. They're then easily washed away. Vinegar is a mild acid and can have a similar effect, but I've not found it to be strong enough for my needs.

Since your boosters are already (probably) holding some stink, you may need to "strip" them before returning them to service--again, if you want to. There are lots of recipes for stripping cloth diapers, and many of them are pretty harsh. I prefer a slow, braindead approach. It's rare that I need to strip my diapers, but when I do, I just soak them over night in the same borax solution, wash them, and repeat that 2-3 more times over a couple of days. For me, that's worked very well and avoids the need for bleach and some of the other bothersome stuff you'll see prescribed.

Last but not least: If you're using the "normal" cycle on your washer, especially if it's a "high efficiency" washer, it's likely that you're not getting enough water through the diapers. Consider using a cycle with more water. Ours has a "towels" setting which I find works very well. On others it might be called "heavy duty," or you might have to manually adjust the water. I generally add some borax or other detergent booster to the laundry per the instructions on the container. We do this for all of our laundry, actually. Our washer doesn't have a provision for automatically adding stuff like that to supplemental rinse cycles, so I generally don't do extra rinses.

(You might also ditch the microfiber for cotton.)

Anyway... That's probably all moot if you've truly resolved to ditch the cloth boosters, but for posterity... :)
I appreciate all of the advice for the cloth, I shall attempt some of these methods. Thank you!

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I have to agree with @Cottontail.

I have been using cloth for a while now and I have not had any problem with leftover smells even after the couple of times I've not been able to keep to my wash schedule and have had wet nappies/boosters in the wet bag for 6 or 7 days.

The big point for me I think is choosing the correct wash cycle and temperature, I always run a cold rinse, spin and drain cycle first and then a long full white cotton cycle at 60 degrees hitting the extra rise cycle button (which comes at the end) it uses extra water and power and runs for about 2 maybe 2 and a half hours so costs a little more to wash maybe but they come out smelling fresh, I also line dry not tumble. I have no smells on them when they go back into or come out of the cupboard.

I also use Rockin Green diaper detergent for hard water (as I'm in a moderately hard water zone) making sure to measure out the right amount of powder for the load and water amount, leftover soap in cloth is one of the things that can cause bad smells when it is not fully rinsed out. Have not had to strip any diapers or boosters yet.

I do sometimes get that strong amonia "stale urine" smell if I've been wearing a wet cloth diaper for a long time which for me is the indicator that it is time to get changed as I've been sat there for too long, but it's not a leftover smell it comes from the recent wetting now being hours old.

Nowididit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
When I use a cloth booster I'll toss them in the shower with me and leave them on the shower floor while I shower. They get a good rinsing with the water and soap while I shower. When done I wring them out and hang them to dry before tossing them in the hamper to be washed.

Napincolove

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
When I shower my microfibre Nappy cloths go in with me and get a good rinsing through, wring them out and store them in my waterproof bag and they remain there for up to 7 days before laundry day.
So far they have not smelt too much and have not suffered materially either.