gies a hand place!! regaurding VGA cables n stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
is there a way to connect my laptop to a tv? best to be via scart but if not another method will suffice

*EDIT* spelling error in title... was half asleep

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Well, you can get a DVI to HDMI cable easily. But only newish laptops seem to come with DVI/HDMI ports. You can't hook VGA to Scart. Simple put, the information is encoded differently and won't work. Some laptops have a composite video out, thought it's rare. But you can easily plug that directly into a TV.

Anyway, the chances it's not possible. If your laptop has VGA port for an external monitor/projector I suppose you could use a VGA to Composite converter of some kind but they'll be expensive and the results are not that desirable.

Why do you want to hook it up to a TV?

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
What kind of input does your TV take and what kind of output does your laptop have?

ajsco

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Well depends what the inputs and outputs are, I have just about every AV cable ever invented (and 3 converter boxes) I currently have my PS3 hooked up to a 22'' VGA PC monitor through the HDMI output, and sound to a 2.5mm headphone jack through the optical output.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
i wanna plug it into tv because my screen is 10" and i wanna watching sons of anarachy etc...

it does have a vga port on it, samsung nc 10

my tv doesnt, and it is a new HD thingy

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
It also helps to know what inputs your TV takes, which I already asked before. <_>

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
You need to have an S-Video port on your laptop, which most newish ones should. Take the S-Video to your S-Video input on your TV, again need a newer TV or you won't have that port. But that only takes the vidoe not the audio. You'll need a Headphone to RCA cable to get the audio to the TV as well. Hope that helps.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
SCART? o_O. Even I'm shocked. I've never seen a TV with SCART input capability (here in the states?) and the only computers I've seen with SCART is an IBM from 1982.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've never even heard of a SCART. Neither have my parents or any other geek I know lol.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
In Europe, SCART is the most common method of connecting audio-visual equipment together, and has become a standard connector for such devices (even more so than the phono plug),[citation needed] however it is far less common elsewhere in the world.
Read: SCART - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol. brits. Designed in the '70s even. Sheesh, talk about old tech.

And um... buh?

This may then be converted to RF with an external box known as an RF modulator that generates the proper carrier (often for channel 3 or 4 in North America, channel 36 in Europe).

goodnites2002

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Actually the french invented... Likely why it never caught on in the rest of the world. :p

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
He would want VGA to HDMI, not HDMI to VGA. (just to clarify)

Is there a difference? As long as both ends are male (as pretty much all the cables are), it shouldn't make a difference, no? Does the protocol switch only work one way?

You need to have an S-Video port on your laptop, which most newish ones should. Take the S-Video to your S-Video input on your TV, again need a newer TV or you won't have that port.

He doesn't have an S-video port on his monitor, as stated above.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Yes because S-Video, Component and RCA is soooo much better.

Scart basically carries a Component and/or S-Video on it as well as RCA/raw analogue stereo audio. Instead of having several connections, it's all in one. I don't get What's so outdated with it.

DVI can carry a VGA signal, but I don't think the TV will understand it unless it's actually digital. You can try, but I haven't got my hopes up on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.