Gerber-style lap shoulder onesie

IDKaLittle

Just keep swim-ming...Just keep swim-ming...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
Has anyone seen this out there? I used to have one I got off eBay many lifetimes ago but I got rid of it during an early purge cycle. It‘s the one thing I’ve always regretted getting rid of. I’ve been looking for another since and can’t find it.

What made it special was not only the lap shoulder, cut and style (exactly like the Gerber) but more so the fabric. It was made from a material very similar to what the Gerber onesies were made of - a white, lightweight, underwear-like, lightly-ribbed fabric, just like the classic gerbers.

All I’ve found in lap necks are ones that feel like regular adult tees or even thicker fabrics (ODU), or a more silky fabric (Baby Your Doll). But nothing in that underwear-like fabric.

I’m trying to avoid going the custom made route - it’s expensive and I don‘t hace a guarantee what the fabric is going to be like. I guess this is my last ditch effort at finding it in retail.

Last edited:

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
As for a lot of clothing hunts these days I tend to recommend people check out Etsy.

I know there are many sellers on there catering to ABDL folks and onesies are an item easily found. I do know I have seen lots of lap shoulder and snap shoulder onesies on there both plain and patterned, long and short sleeved and a lot of the sellers make their own stuff and with a polite request are often willing to custom make things to your liking.

What you'd be looking for is something made in a "cotton rib" fabric, while most sellers tend to use jersey fabrics there may be some who have or can do cotton rib.

I'll have a dig around my collection of sites and see if I can find anything but Etsy is a good starting point.

IDKaLittle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
Thanks. Yeah that’s where I’m at (Etsy) and I’ve already made several purchases that turned out to be disappointing once I have them in hand. I’m talking to a reputable maker right now about a custom onesie. She said she uses a cotton Lycra knit but I don’t know fabrics well enough to know what that is, or what it compares to, so I’m hesitating. Would it be out of line to ask for a fabric sample, or for her to refer me to a specific product in a retail store for comparison or something?

I’ll add ‘cotton rib’ into my search and see if that brings me anything.

Last edited:

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Cotton Lycra is made by wrapping cotton fibers with the synthetic Lycra, Lycra is 80% polyester 20% spandex.

Blended together Cotton lycra is lightweight very breathable, difficult to crease and doesn't suffer from piling as much as other cotton fabrics. Often used in underwear and sports wear it's not a bad fabric. It has a pretty smooth finish though so if you are after that authentic gerber look with the cotton ribbed lines down it then it's not going to look the same but if that's ok then it's a pretty good fabric.

Rather than ask for a sample I'd have a look and see if there is a brick and mortar shop near you that sells fabrics and pop in there to ask if they have any cotton lycra you can examine.

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Lil-Kink Boutique has some too, might need to enquire about adding a lap shoulder though.

Last edited:
Reactions: nappybottom

Nowididit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Don't know where you're located but Diaper Minister has onsies with the shoulder laps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221124-135731_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221124-135731_Chrome.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 14

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Nowididit said:
Don't know where you're located but Diaper Minister has onsies with the shoulder laps.
How have I not come across Diaper minister before Lol at least it wasn't on my list of shops anyway, added now tnx.:D

IDKaLittle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
Belarin said:
Yup tried those. They’re that satiny fabric, more like a golf shirt or something imo.

Belarin said:
Lil-Kink Boutique has some too, might need to enquire about adding a lap shoulder though.

I’ve seen those before but not lap shoulder :(

Nowididit said:
I saw those today, that’s what got me thinking about it again. How’s the fabric?

IDKaLittle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
Belarin said:
Cotton Lycra is made by wrapping cotton fibers with the synthetic Lycra, Lycra is 80% polyester 20% spandex.

Blended together Cotton lycra is lightweight very breathable, difficult to crease and doesn't suffer from piling as much as other cotton fabrics. Often used in underwear and sports wear it's not a bad fabric. It has a pretty smooth finish though so if you are after that authentic gerber look with the cotton ribbed lines down it then it's not going to look the same but if that's ok then it's a pretty good fabric.

Rather than ask for a sample I'd have a look and see if there is a brick and mortar shop near you that sells fabrics and pop in there to ask if they have any cotton lycra you can examine.
the brick and mortar store is a good idea. All all cotton lycras the same?

I’d be okay with a smooth fabric if it’s like today’s Gerber onesies. They too have gone to a smooth fabric but it‘s like a thin t-shirt or almost underwear feel. Actually I have one here on a stuffy and I just looked, tag says 100% cotton. It does still have the ribs but they’re much finer and only really show up when it’s stretched laterally a little. They used to be more prominent but that’s ok.

You seem very knowledgeable about fabrics, can you (or anyone who wants to take a crack) help me figure out what to ask for in a custom? Here’s a photo of the tag and you can see the makeup of the fabric pretty well.

Hey I appreciate y’all’s help!

Attachments

• 17A209D0-2906-4271-B398-E939419B654C.jpeg
    17A209D0-2906-4271-B398-E939419B654C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Nowididit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
IDKaLittle said:
How’s the fabric?
Don't know, I'm in the US. They look comfy though. I'm a big Tykables Snappies fan.

IDKaLittle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
@Belarin Duh just now realized after some googling that you already answered my question with ‘cotton rib’! I can be so dense sometimes :rolleyes:

I throw that search term in and ALL I get are baby onesies, even when I add adult and ABDL! So apparently that’s what they’re all made of! :D
Thanks, I’ll inquire about that with the custom maker

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Lil-kink boutique may be willing to add a lap shoulder if asked nicely.

IDKaLittle said:
I’d be okay with the smooth fabric if it’s like today’s Gerber onesies. They too have gone to a smooth fabric but it‘s like a thin t-shirt or almost underwear feel. Actually I have one here on a stuffy and I just looked, tag says 100% cotton. It does still have the ribs but they’re much finer and only really show up when it’s stretched laterally a little. They used to be more prominent but that’s ok.

You seem very knowledgeable about fabrics, can you (or anyone who wants to take a crack) help me figure out what to ask for in a custom? Here’s a photo of the tag and you can see the makeup of the fabric pretty well.

Hey I appreciate y’all’s help!

I have a fair knowledge of fabrics from my own adventures in sewing, @KnappFlannel might be a good person to ask as well.

From that picture I'd say that is a 100% cotton interlock fabric it's made from.

As for what to ask for aside from the obvious things to make sure you have including style choices like: Lap shoulder also commonly called a Lap neck and a snap crotch, whether you want long or short sleeves etc. Sizes to make sure it will fit. If you mention Vintage Gerber many makers may know what you mean for style.

Fabric wise ask most people make onesies from "jersey knit" (tshirt) fabric which can come in a variety of types and thicknesses.
For what you want Cotton interlock might do, it is a bit thicker than plain jersey (double knit as opposed to single) and does have faint/thin lines of ribbing to it but not overly visible but is lightweight and thinner than rib.
Cotton Rib is what the original vintage Gerber onesies were made of, ribbed knit jersey would be basically the same maybe a bit thicker with definite defined lines going down it but might be a bit thicker.

This is ribbed cotton jersey...................................................................This is coarse ribbed cotton jersey
Ribbed Jersey Fabric - Natural Beige | Jelly Fabrics – Jelly Fabrics Ltd
Cotton Rib Knit Coarse Fabric 151 Nature - 50cm - Ritohobby.co.uk

This is Cotton interlock..............................................................................................This is cotton jersey
Cotton Jersey Interlock Fabric 30s by FabricTreasury.com | Flickr
White Cotton Jersey Fabric | OnlineFabricStore

As an interesting side point though the term Onesie is actually trademarked to Gerber, technically anything similar made by anyone else should be called a snap crotch shirt/vest/tshirt etc. As Onesie is only meant to refer to this type of shirt when made by Gerber.

Reactions: KnappFlannel

adam

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I am a super lover of lap shouldered (and snap shouldered) onesies. Or actually anything with lap shoulders. To me it just screams "infant"!
I have hunted for many years for what you are after.
The closest thing I have found was from Dharma Trading Co. and is only a lap shouldered women's crop top made for tie-dyeing. It was THAT material and it fits me great, but of course is not a onesie. It would be awesome ifwe could get Dharma's to make them in onsie fashion. Worst thing is that I don't think they even make this one any more. I'll try to post a photo when I unpack it again.

IDKaLittle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
adam said:
I am a super lover of lap shouldered (and snap shouldered) onesies. Or actually anything with lap shoulders. To me it just screams "infant"!
I have hunted for many years for what you are after.
The closest thing I have found was from Dharma Trading Co. and is only a lap shouldered women's crop top made for tie-dyeing. It was THAT material and it fits me great, but of course is not a onesie. It would be awesome ifwe could get Dharma's to make them in onsie fashion. Worst thing is that I don't think they even make this one any more. I'll try to post a photo when I unpack it again.

Right? The lap shoulders are so baby!

The reason I want that specific fabric is that for me, a big part of being Little (specifically the clothes but other stuff too) is the authenticity of it from a sensory experience - sights, smells, touch.

It sounds like you’re similar in that regard, at least to fabric authenticity I mean.

That onesie used to instantly put me in littlespace, usually before I could even finish snapping it up! I swear I remember actually drooling on myself once while struggling to get the snaps done up! (They could be finicky!) I was completely helpless to its power! :p

I’ll let you know what I figure out with the maker, and definitely refer you if it works out! I’m confident it will, I just need to figure out how to communicate what I want. :unsure:

IDKaLittle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
Idea! 🤓

Maybe I should just refer her to this thread?

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
If anyone really wanted it and really can't find what they want I would be happy to try and make one myself, I have made onesies in the past however I am yet to have a go at sewing anything with a lap neck as I wasn't quite sure on the measurements and shaping. It's not that hard and I could look it up to give it a go but might take a few attempts to get it right. Alongside that, until I get my serger I could not possibly match the quality that you would expect from store bought items. I also have no idea how much it would cost to make this in rib knit or send it overseas.

IDKaLittle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
Get your serger and give it a go! If even just for yourself! As for selling items, If you can appreciate the authenticity, I firmly believe it’s an underserved niche market and there are a lot more of us out there than anyone thinks.

What strikes me about this maker is the authenticity of their work. From what I’ve seen, you’d be hard pressed to say it didn’t come off a retail rack, fabric types and all. I bet they‘re overwhelmed with work, the lead time is in weeks.

Lol my own mother is a seamstress, she has multiple machines, sergers, all that. Yet I can‘t even think about bringing this up to her and asking her to make me something! :oops:

Last edited:

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
IDKaLittle said:
Get your serger and give it a go! If even just for yourself! As for selling items, If you can appreciate the authenticity, I firmly believe it’s an underserved niche market and there are a lot more of us out there than anyone thinks.

What strikes me about this maker is the authenticity of their work. From what I’ve seen, you’d be hard pressed to say it didn’t come off a retail rack, fabric types and all. I bet they‘re overwhelmed with work, the lead time is in weeks.

Lol my own mother is a seamstress, she has multiple machines, sergers, all that. Yet I can‘t even think about bringing this up to her and asking her to make me something! :oops:
I have actually considered opening an etsy shop for my knitting (clothes and toys), I got pretty good at that and enjoy it but I'd probably make mostly baby/childrens stuff with knitting as it takes sooooo long to make things in adults size that unless you spend a year or two building up a good stock and then just replace as needed the lead times would easily be in weeks.

My sewing is ok I still need more practice a good serger would make things much more professional and maybe faster but they are not cheap.

My mum was the seamstress too, if it involved a needle and thread she could do it, knitting, crochet, sewing, quilting, cross stitch, felting... I've asked for her advice on how to design and put some abdl things together but wouldn't ask her to make them for me.

Reactions: NewAdultBaby4

lilstevie56

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Babykins carrys a over the shoulder lap style onsie in 2 different prints .

Reactions: insideoutlier