General Tone in The Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullMetal

Here in this forum, we are all handed a gift. Though this gift does not always seem like a gift, and though it is not wrapped in a bow, it truly is a great gift. Upon arriving to this site you, you are given a chance to take what you have learned and what you have seen and done, and incorporate it into this community, helping as many people as possible. This gift never leaves you but is always growing and a piece of it is always taken. It's a great thought. I like to always think that the main focus of this is is that gift, and how much it can grow and be given.

I know, I sound like the common Romantic, and I might just be that, but that still doesn't change the fact. You can look at it in anyway you would like. You can see it as an exchange of ideas, a way to vent, a place to come together, really anything you want, but it is all the same, I just choose to look at it this way.

In accordance with that, the topic I present to you in this thread will be general tone when in the forum. Just some simple things to follow to really just make the most out of this community. Educate, in this thread, is the way your present yourself in a certain place. Of course things change due to something called atmosphere, which is the feeling you encounter in a certain time/place, but the basics usually stay the same.

I'd like to start of with a literary device used in English called Tone. Tone is the authors attitude when writing, and just as a writer gives of a tone while writing a book, so do you and I when writing in a thread. When your tone is always cynical and distant, the person reading the thread will feel disconnected to your posts and even sometimes disregard them. Its nice to have some cynicism and sarcasm (which many of us do use, even I am guilty of this) but a constant wave of this gets extremely old, extremely fast. A joke is funny, but said over and over again, some how loses its taste. So, I am not saying 'don't be cynical' or 'don't use sarcasm' I am just saying, use it in moderation and know when it is proper, and in good humor. If someone is trying to have a substantial discussion with you in a thread and you act out on those devices, it only looks as though you are not respecting the person and do not really have any interest in the article- seeming as though your goal was to bash and not help or add in your opinion. Some of you will argue that it is your way of speaking, and I see that, I know what you mean, but part of maturing is showing flexibility towards situations, and it is possible for you to change your tone in certain scenarios, you just have to try.

The dramatic will argue that changing their tone is changing who they are, but its not, I am not telling you to change your opinions, please do not twist my words to sound like that, I am just saying that it is more beneficial to the community when you act accordingly. Take serious topics seriously, fool off on those off topics. Having a rude tone will all in all make you come out looking like a jerk, and it is so much easier to lose respect for someone than to gain it back. Once someone sees you as something, it sticks, so make that something a positive and watch your words.

Thank you for reading,
FullMetal

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I am replying at this very moment and you are wrong sir!

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Unfortunatly we have some who take off-topic silly topics seriously.

That is my 2C on this whole thing.

Role
Private
I always see myself as an over-the-top serious poster.

Does anyone have a problem with this?

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS!?!?!?!

...And that's why I post seriously all the time, with only a joke here or there. My sense of humour (wordplay and quick-witted comebacks) just isn't something that can manifest on a forum easily, so I don't even bother. That, and I absolutely love writing elongated posts, with me justifying every single point with paragraphs of analogies and examples. That's just how I like to write, and stems from the fact I had to do a lot (like, I mean 4 every year for 5 years!) of persuasive speeches back in school.

Customizer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
You might want to check the grammar in FullMetal's post. Some of those sentences are long and drawn out, like your post. :p If you're a serious writer, then this forum will become a TBDL book the thickness of a standard Mason brick.

Other than the idle banter and silly antics members play on each other, FullMetal's post has the tone of a long, wet fart. We should be silly sometimes, not always serious. A light heart is a child-like heart.

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Being silly at times is fun! It is most effective when done on large amounts of sleepyness or the exact oppisite and done on a huge 2L bottle of Amp energy drink.

F

FullMetal

I can never get my point across with some people T.T

FullMetal

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
how do you have the patience to write so much????????

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I definitely think that Fullmetal's original statement is a truly one to consider with an open mind.

Cynicism and sarcasm are not weapons to wield without practice; they are one of the finest and most precise tones of the written word, and are much more deft when used in spoken tongue. However, we cannot communicate that way -- therefore, when cynicism, flippance, and sarcasm are used, it needs to be with agile language and clear-cut corners that help reveal that what we are saying is precisely that: sarcasm.

Do not take this as a slam on those who choose / cannot type without proper punctuation or adhering to normal grammar etiquette, but I must add that those who do not inflect their written word with proper anatomy run the risk of having their sarcasm come across as absolute rubbish and downright boorishness. For these users, refrain from sarcastic comments.

Sarcasm and cynicism are things that -- if they are going to be used (and must be used sparingly, to consistently respect our fellow forum-members, whether or not we like them), should be used at logical times to make sure that we're not expressing that as our only tone.

There's nothing wrong with being positive; it's easier to offer kind words than it is harsh ones.

Remember: Although there is freedom of speech, we are always to be held accountable for how that speech is used. Keep it in mind when posting.

Last edited:
F

FullMetal

how do you have the patience to write so much????????
I think I fell in love with you for that statement, I loved it. The thing is though...it was really double that....but you see what Monkey wrote on the first page? Yea, that means too long, didn't read, or something to that affect, and whenever I write something long...people tend to...not read it. I'm a writer, so I usually do not have a problem with getting out what I need to say...sometimes that turns into too much, but I hope all of it helps sooner or later even though people disregard it or just don't care.

FullMetal

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Honesty, a person's avatar sets the tone of their posts more than the actually words, at least for me.

But I mainly think we're limited in the fact that we're stuck in a place that the only medium to communicate is words, we can't use body language or inflection in a voice to determine what a person is really saying.

Kraiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
This is.. what, the 50th topic about this sort of stuff?? "You're all too hard on people, lighten up, cynical bastards!"....

Protip: No one's perfect, we all make mistakes. The forum has and never will be a place of windswept pastures and butterfly smiles, and perfectly constructed intelligent happy posts. It's getting on my nerves to see this constant stream of topics on a fortnightly basis of people... well, winging about the tone of the forum, or the fact some people got annoyed at a new member who can't type properly so they decide to voice their opinion on the person.

We are prone to being suspicious, hot-headed, cynical, and yes, mean at times. but it's like that everywhere, both on the net and on this forum.

Where am I going with this? I don't know, I guess I'm telling EVERYONE to lighten up. Nothing's wrong with being silly, or poking fun at someone, or just being an asshole from time to time. No-one's perfect, so everyone just needs to get the hell over it, and themselves.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Here's the deal: I'm human :)eek: yes, I'm not a fruit), so I have feelings and emotions and may (and do) write silly and funny stuff, serious stuff, depressing stuff, intelligent stuff, dumb answers and sometimes totally unintelligible garbage.
While I hate mood swings from one second to the other, I still prefer humans with flaws over humans with the ability to communicate like a business letter: Standardized, straight to the point and as exciting as a grey wall!

Peachy

Kraiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Smileys are misleading.

You're an ass! :biggrin:

See? It could have been an insult, but just because I added a :biggrin: on the end, then it's a joke.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Honesty, a person's avatar sets the tone of their posts more than the actually words, at least for me.

But I mainly think we're limited in the fact that we're stuck in a place that the only medium to communicate is words, we can't use body language or inflection in a voice to determine what a person is really saying.
Hmmm...what does my avatar say? 'Cause I know a lot of my posts say "I'm a b*tch and I think you're an idiot!" (Not you personally, but the person who's reading my post and taking it to heart as a personal affront.) I like to THINK my posts say "Here is a semi-intelligent human being with sufficient grasp of the English language to get her point across, even without the use of body language or vocal inflection."

The forum has and never will be a place of windswept pastures and butterfly smiles, and perfectly constructed intelligent happy posts.
It's NOT???? What about this one? :bf-butterfly:

No-one's perfect, so everyone just needs to get the hell over it, and themselves.
No one's perfect, but I come darn close, admit it! ;)

Here's the deal: I'm human :)eek: yes, I'm not a fruit)
WHAT? You're not a cute cuddly fuzzy lil ripe peach? *is astounded*

F

FullMetal

This is.. what, the 50th topic about this sort of stuff?? "You're all too hard on people, lighten up, cynical bastards!"....

Protip: No one's perfect, we all make mistakes. The forum has and never will be a place of windswept pastures and butterfly smiles, and perfectly constructed intelligent happy posts. It's getting on my nerves to see this constant stream of topics on a fortnightly basis of people... well, winging about the tone of the forum, or the fact some people got annoyed at a new member who can't type properly so they decide to voice their opinion on the person.

We are prone to being suspicious, hot-headed, cynical, and yes, mean at times. but it's like that everywhere, both on the net and on this forum.

Where am I going with this? I don't know, I guess I'm telling EVERYONE to lighten up. Nothing's wrong with being silly, or poking fun at someone, or just being an asshole from time to time. No-one's perfect, so everyone just needs to get the hell over it, and themselves.

Here's the deal: I'm human :)eek: yes, I'm not a fruit), so I have feelings and emotions and may (and do) write silly and funny stuff, serious stuff, depressing stuff, intelligent stuff, dumb answers and sometimes totally unintelligible garbage.
While I hate mood swings from one second to the other, I still prefer humans with flaws over humans with the ability to communicate like a business letter: Standardized, straight to the point and as exciting as a grey wall!

Peachy
Wow...you guys really know how to read...you twisted my words so much. I never said that we have to speak in standardized gray, nor did I say that you couldnt show your flaws or anything like that...where did you get that from? I'm so confused...And lighten up Kraiden? What the hell are you talking about? I never said "YOU GUYS ARE BEING DICKS" so 'lighten up' makes no sense in this thread. I never said anyone was perfect and I'm not sure what 'the hell' you wanted me to 'get over'? Please clarify these things up to me...both of you if you will.

So, I guess I don't know how to state or something. I was just informing that it is better to think before you type, to really sum it all up. I think people write without really reading into what someone is trying to say...and I can give an example by the posts I just quoted. Some people tend to just act on feeling, and I'm not saying never do this, I really don't care, just be reasonable.

Please, all of you, refrain from putting words and thoughts into my thread post that I did not ever think or write, it gets irritating. And if you disagree, just state it...I do not mind, I promise. But do not come after me with guns...please, I'll come back with more.

FullMetal

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer

Hmmm...what does my avatar say? '

That you have a puppy and you wave at everyone? :dunno:

Now we're going to get stuck in a 'if you read my post exactly, I didn't say that' snipe off. Frankly I'm just tired of the handful of threads that came up and commented on how people posted, their tone, or other facets of forum conversations.

I mean, since when in human history have people thought about what to write, before writing, in just a simple conversation? We're conversing, not debating.

At least that is what I gathered. I vote for more similes.

Status
Not open for further replies.