Gardening.

You both put me to shame. I have a flower garden but the deer get to the flowers just as they're beginning to bloom. Stupid deer.

dogboy said:
You both put me to shame. I have a flower garden but the deer get to the flowers just as they're beginning to bloom. Stupid deer.
In the Northwest that gives you Farmers Right Law privilage, so during Hunting season you don't need a tag to make Bambi Burgers.

• Haha
Reactions: LilxFawn
egor said:
In the Northwest that gives you Farmers Right Law privilage, so during Hunting season you don't need a tag to make Bambi Burgers.
Yes but you do need to be careful that you don’t get mad cow. Or...mad deer in this case. Where I live, it’s a legal requirement to get deer meat (hunted or otherwise) tested for Mad Cow because there have been cases of it. Idk if it’s the same where y’all live. But I’d definitely be careful. It is not a pretty thing to have 😨

Last edited:
egor said:
Heh, I think that might only apply if you're zoned properly and in the biz, no? I mean, you can't sit on your stoop in Seattle and taze deer. :)

Reactions: egor and LilxFawn
Cottontail said:
Heh, I think that might only apply if you're zoned properly and in the biz, no? I mean, you can't sit on your stoop in Seattle and taze deer. :)
No You have to be on a zoned Rural area.

egor said:
No You have to be on a zoned Rural area.
I see. We're "Rural Intermediate," which I expect brings some differences. I'll have to read the fine print. Not that I intend to go shooting deer on my property! They do appear from time to time, but the most vulnerable vegetation is all behind 8-foot fencing. And the shrubs around the yard are (apparently) unappetizing.

Last edited:
I have deer in my yard all the time but you can't fire a gun in Lynchburg. My son got a permit to shoot deer in his yard if he uses a bow and arrow. He cleans and eats his kill. I clean and eat the hamburger I buy in the store.

Well the year is officially under way. I got all 12 of the garden boxes turned for the first time today. Second turn is in 7 days.

Reactions: NooNoo
I got all of the boxes turned the second time on Wednesday.

Spending time today to clean up the back yard and clear the ally ways in the garden so I can mulch?bark them in. I have used Pine or Cedar shavinges the last 6 years and I will swithch to bark mulch this year. Just because I bought and had 120 2 cf bags delivered to do the whole yard.

I've got to work on my yard this week. I have a row of butterfly bushes and if I don't trim them before they bloom, I'll have a million bees buzzing around them. Then I can work on my other bushes, clean out gutters, repair a shutter and more. Houses and yards demand a lot of work.

It’s the end of the season here in New Zealand. The garden has been good but we have had almost no rain this year which is very rare. We rely on rain off the roof as our water supply, so watering the garden has been kept to a minimum, just enough so that we don’t loose too many plants. But some things have thrived. We have had about 8 kilos of passionfruit! Delicious, and our neighbours think so too. Also lemon and lime trees have done well. Now it’s the end of season tidy-up.

egor said:
Well since the change I guess I will just do blogs instead of the groups.

In the Foodie Group I had a thread on gardening.

So the garden for the year has started.

I have been working on getting the "wild Blackberries" trained for this years crop. It has been going slow because of several reasons, but it is coming along.

I still need to get out and start turning the boxes to ready the soil and hopefully reduce the weeds.

But the garden is officially started. I had some full yet not in use pots so I planted the potato sprouts off of some big russets. I noticed yesterday that two of them took.

I have never bought potato starts since I started growing them. I always seem to have potatoes that sprout in the storage bind. It is funny though how some will grow and others will not.

I watched a show on Big food companies and how they control the Seed stocks. Monsanto Will not allow farmers to keep a portion of the crop for seed stock and run them out of business if they try. So I may wind up with Big Food Giants after me if they see what I have done.
Your blackberries got me thinking. I spent allot of time in the SE and you know what? Blackberries are actually expensive down there. I used to tell people we can't get rid of them here. They would about die hearing that.

BabyDavidMessiah said:
Your blackberries got me thinking. I spent allot of time in the SE and you know what? Blackberries are actually expensive down there. I used to tell people we can't get rid of them here. They would about die hearing that.
When I was a kid in the UK the family would go blackberry picking. Not only did it give you a good walk in the countryside, but you would get some fabulous nourishing fruit. Nobody seems to do it now, everybody goes and pays a bundle for them at the supermarket! Except wife and me!!!

Teddy02 said:
When I was a kid in the UK the family would go blackberry picking. Not only did it give you a good walk in the countryside, but you would get some fabulous nourishing fruit. Nobody seems to do it now, everybody goes and pays a bundle for them at the supermarket! Except wife and me!!!
I love picking blackberries.

Reactions: Teddy02
Getting all of these blackberries and firewood cleaned up in this area of the back yard that I have been thinking about putting in a Chicken Coop.

I have time, There is money coming, and ?????????

Finished spraying for weeds in all of the walk ways and border beds yesterday and for once I ran out after all of the important parts where done. Now its time to turn the garden boxes for the third time and start spreading bark mulch everywhere.

Just spent 135 minutes out in the garden prepping the garden beds. I have a few choices if I want to chance having to pull a lot of weeds or turning the boxes I have done. The one box was made up for me the cart dumped the fill soil before I wanted to so there is a chance there is weed spray in what I cleaned up. I will have to turn it in 9 days anyway.

The main thing I realized this morning when I went out in the garden and saw the first box I worked on, THE DAMN CAT is so grateful for the full kitty boxes I made for him. IF it is not the cat taking a dump, its the damn Squirrels barring peanuts as fast as they can.

• Haha
Reactions: NooNoo
Ah....the joys of farm living and suburban living. This was the spring I was going to fertilize my lawn and really work on it but now I don't want to go to store to buy fertilizer. I suppose I could have it delivered.

I just finished final prep on all 12 beds. I bought 14 chili pepper and 12 tomato plants. I have all of my seed, so my goal of having the garden planted by this evening is a go.

egor said:
I just finished final prep on all 12 beds. I bought 14 chili pepper and 12 tomato plants. I have all of my seed, so my goal of having the garden planted by this evening is a go.

You're awesome egor. I think you've talked about what you do with the chili peppers, but I've forgotten. So how do you use them?

Back