Gardening.

Well I bought what I hope is the last three cases of pint jars and tomorrow I will do another picking of tomatoes and hopefully get caught up with them finally.

First frost was Monday night. So today I started shutting down the garden. I decided that I will make a small batch of HOT salsa and tomato base. But in the mean time I just gave the neighbor 5 lbs. of tomatoes (still have not picked all of the ripe tomatoes) and Cut down 3 of 16 tomato plants and put a 30lb. box of green tomatoes out by the curb (marked FREE) for the neighbors. Tomorrow I will pick another box for the neighbors, if time permits.

Picked a second 30lb. box of Tomatoes to day and put it out at the curb with the other box. Half way done, 8 out of 16 plants cut down. Will pick again tomorrow, but one of the boxes was picked up today.

egor said:
Picked a second 30lb. box of Tomatoes to day and put it out at the curb with the other box. Half way done, 8 out of 16 plants cut down. Will pick again tomorrow, but one of the boxes was picked up today.

It looks like you're ready for the big tomato fight held in Spain if memory serves me.

dogboy said:
It looks like you're ready for the big tomato fight held in Spain if memory serves me.
These ones would hurt!!!20191003_114101 (2).jpg

20191004_131608 (2).jpg

The bottom two boxes are from the last 8 plants. I kept about 10 lbs. to make some HOT salsa and fill the last few spaces for tomato base.

Those 4 boxes are about 100 lbs. of tomatoes.

Update. By sundown this evening there was only about 1/2 of the second box that I put out left.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Aby, DylanLewis and LilxFawn
That's quite a haul! Well done.

dogboy said:
That's quite a haul! Well done.
To my surprise they where all gone this morning.

t20191005_123058.jpg

The last of the chili peppers.
The poblanos and Anthems have all been processed for drying to make Chili Powder.
The Thai I will take to the Local Asian market and see if they will buy what is left. I took 50 of the red ones to make "HOT SALSA". I tried the tip of two of them with no seeds and my lips are still numb from the heat.

• Love
Reactions: DylanLewis and LilxFawn
The Asian Market gave me $7 in store credit for the chilis, so I got The Oyster Sause and Fish sauce I needed.

Came home and finished canning the Salsa and Tomato Base. Then went out to the garden and finished shutting it down. Thanks to the Crows my Hopi Corn crop did not produce very well this year. Because of the reseeding I did not get a lot of mature ears, but I did get some "Baby corn" that I am going to try to can.

The pumpkins did not do very well either. I am hoping that if I leave them off the vine sitting in the sun for a few days that they will ripen more. They are all partial green and orange.

Either way except for processing what Corn and Pumpkins I did get. The garden is done for the year.

Thank you Plants and Creator for my food for the winter.

Cleaned the little corn ears and wound up throwing most of them out because the cob part was just to big. However, I opened up a jar of the Bread & Butter pickle juice I saved and put them into that. I just put the jar into the back of the refrigerator and will let it sit for a week or two and will use them next time I make a stir fry.

Waste not, want not!

Well the joy of living in the NW is that the fall is never consistent. The issue with raising Hopi sweet meal corn is that we do not get the long hot heat for two month that dries the ears out. So here in a wet fall I have to improvise to dry the corn to get it to release from the cob.

20191008_133908(1).jpg

Well I "started" on the 2020 garden this week. I bought 3 signs to put on the front lawn. Two of them say "Pardon my weeds!!! I'm feeding the Bee". The other one says "grow meadows not Lawns. Save the Bees"

I did not get any tomatoes to set last year until I stopped mowing the lawn in mid July. So this year I am going to pattern mow the lawn to keep Dandelions blooming to attract the bees, and see if I get a better fruit set.

egor said:
Well I "started" on the 2020 garden this week. I bought 3 signs to put on the front lawn. Two of them say "Pardon my weeds!!! I'm feeding the Bee". The other one says "grow meadows not Lawns. Save the Bees"

I did not get any tomatoes to set last year until I stopped mowing the lawn in mid July. So this year I am going to pattern mow the lawn to keep Dandelions blooming to attract the bees, and see if I get a better fruit set.
I planted some comforted tea plants in a patch, at the back of my house. it flowers all year long and is a big attractants for the wild bees

Last edited:
well I am surprised how far this got "pushed" back in the threads in a few months.

Finally getting so sun and almost have the blackberry patch finished for the year. Had something kill three crowns, so I am digging them out. broke two shovels so far. I will replace them with either Marian Berries or Boysenberries. I am leaning to wards the Boysenberries because my Grandfather Helped Walter Knott develop them in the early 1920's.

Have not been in such a big rush to turn the planter beds this year because I have a Rototiller this time so it takes about and hour to do them all instead of Days be hand.

egor said:
View attachment 35658

The last of the chili peppers.
The poblanos and Anthems have all been processed for drying to make Chili Powder.
The Thai I will take to the Local Asian market and see if they will buy what is left. I took 50 of the red ones to make "HOT SALSA". I tried the tip of two of them with no seeds and my lips are still numb from the heat.
You grow some seriously beautiful vegetables! I wish I had more time and energy to tend to a garden. Well, that and a dog that didn’t eat everything so I could keep plants inside! I had an avocado tree that I had grown from a seed. It was about 2 feet high! Sadly, during the summer we had an infestation of paper wasps and I was unable to access my poor baby Eduardo (that was his name) so he died on my back porch 😭. Our maintenance crew at my apartment complex literally refused to take care of it. It was a constant back and forth and me and the hubs eventually just gave up! Thankfully we get cold winters up here so they all died. But my poor plant babies died too because I couldn’t get past the wasps. I got stung at midnight which is how we found out about them in the first place 😢

Reactions: DylanLewis
LilxFawn said:
But my poor plant babies died too because I couldn’t get past the wasps.
Yikes! That sucks. :( A couple of summers ago, I hiked a mountain trail not far from our house and walked within a few feet of a basketball-sized wasp nest. Didn't notice it and kept on walking. Of course, on the way back, I did notice it, and was was like, "Shit. Now what do I do?" It was very active, and I couldn't believe I hadn't been stung on the way up. Unfortunately, there was no good way around it, being as it was on a steep mountainside. I ended up carefully sliding down a cliff on my butt to rejoin the trail further down. In hindsight, it would probably have been safer to just run past the thing.

I returned the next day with two cans of Raid.

---

To the topic: Normally we get a deep enough freeze to kill off everything in our garden, but it looks like the parsley and kale will survive the winter this year. But the kale is doomed regardless, as it's gotten way too tall and leggy. We'll be partitioning things a bit differently this year, too, after last year's squash-tastrophe. (We ended up with a stupid number of zucchinis, and ate more zucchini than any human should have to.)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LilxFawn
Oh the horror of zucchini.....haha. My dad had a large garden and we always had fresh vegetables to eat in the summer. My mom would preserve tomatoes and they were good. He grew cucumbers rather than zucchini. I never grew tired of cucumbers but since my ulcer, they bother my stomach.

dogboy said:
Oh the horror of zucchini.....haha. My dad had a large garden and we always had fresh vegetables to eat in the summer. My mom would preserve tomatoes and they were good. He grew cucumbers rather than zucchini. I never grew tired of cucumbers but since my ulcer, they bother my stomach.
Yeah, I'm voting for no zucchinis this year. Cucumbers, ... maybe. I'd like to get some pumpkins going, actually. Every Halloween, I buy a few pumpkins that don't get carved, and then I roll them into the weeds and let them rot into the ground, hoping a pumpkin patch will start up. Five years in, that approach has gone nowhere, so I guess I'll actually buy and plant some pumpkin seeds in a properly tilled spot with nice soil and all.

Last edited:
It has been nice weather her for the last week, so I have gotten the blackberry patch taken care of for the spring and started prepping the garden to till yesterday until by back spoke up, then went in a finished the third sort of everything in the shop I have neglected for the last two years.

One thing at a time when weather allows.

Back