Gardening.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Well since the change I guess I will just do blogs instead of the groups.

In the Foodie Group I had a thread on gardening.

So the garden for the year has started.

I have been working on getting the "wild Blackberries" trained for this years crop. It has been going slow because of several reasons, but it is coming along.

I still need to get out and start turning the boxes to ready the soil and hopefully reduce the weeds.

But the garden is officially started. I had some full yet not in use pots so I planted the potato sprouts off of some big russets. I noticed yesterday that two of them took.

I have never bought potato starts since I started growing them. I always seem to have potatoes that sprout in the storage bind. It is funny though how some will grow and others will not.

I watched a show on Big food companies and how they control the Seed stocks. Monsanto Will not allow farmers to keep a portion of the crop for seed stock and run them out of business if they try. So I may wind up with Big Food Giants after me if they see what I have done.

• Love
Reactions: KBoy, Sheepies, Curiositykilledthecat and 5 others
It must be nice to live in warmer climates. We're going down into the low single digits this week, so if I'm going to start a garden, it will have to be Popsicle plants. I do have a number of flowering bushes that look nice until the rabbits and deer get to them.

Reactions: KBoy, Angelapinks, NooNoo and 1 other person
dogboy said:
It must be nice to live in warmer climates. We're going down into the low single digits this week, so if I'm going to start a garden, it will have to be Popsicle plants. I do have a number of flowering bushes that look nice until the rabbits and deer get to them.

We are definitely warmer here on the west coast this week. But I start these plants on the dinning room counter near a window. I will have to climatize them when it comes to planting time in April.

IT snowed last week (that is our usual winter), So I got outside today, because the rain let up and worked on getting the blackberries trained for this years crop.

The third attempt at my celery experiment is actually working. I raised celery in a window garden for 2 years and loved the aromatic smell they produced. I do not know what went wrong but they died on me.

So I have tried twice before to grow a celery root that I got at the store and had no luck. I got a few leaves to start but then the root crown rotted and never started any roots. This time I bought one that has a good amount of plant crown on it and tried again. I have it propped up in an old food storage container and am using the waste water from our Bata fish tank. Roots are forming and leaves/ new stocks are growing. If I get it far enough I will pot it and trim stacks every so often.

Reactions: Angelapinks
Warm wet winter here in New Jersey. Last year was a bust with a cold and wet Spring followed by lots of rain during the summer and fall.

So I got outside the last two days and worked on the blackberries. Almost done there and can start training the grapes.

Big thing was that even though there is a 29 degree wind chill I actually got 2 of the garden boxes turned for the first of three "treatments".

This year my big cactus has developed 4 flower buds, (one already opened and finished a few days ago) and now to my supprise two of them have started opening at the same time! :)
Normally it only does a flower or two every few seasons, this is the first time it has had two open simultaneously in the 31 years ive had it!

• Love
Reactions: Sheepies, Billies1, tiny and 3 others
I'd start cutting our fruit trees. Here it's to warm for the season and I hope that we get no chill in April. Two years ago all the blooms from the fruit trees where frostbitten because they start blooming to early. This year we year we have similar conditions and I hope that this will not happen again...

I guess I bragged to much about my celery root. Yesterday I went to clip some leaves for a seafood dish and I noticed the water was black. The root all of a sudden rotted at the base.

Will I try again?????????

Beautiful day today. I was able to get out and turn another 5 of the 12 garden boxes, weeded the back walkway and put down shavings for weed control.

Next I have to do the second turn on the first boxes I turned about three weeks ago. Then transplant the garlic and onions (that I missed last summer) into the first box then I can turn the last three boxes.

With fingers crossed I hope to have the garden in on time this year (late April).

Reactions: NooNoo
Lucky yous, we got 2+ feet of snow yet in my garden and can't even see my raised bed, But was 50 today and so much more snow will go. I have not much hope to start planting before June.

I kept myself quite busy yesterday afternoon in the garden.
I trimmed and dead headed and gave everything a feed, started a few new herb pots (some with seed, some with cuttings) to replace the tired old ones ive had for ages.
I potted up a heap of plants into larger pots (mostly succulents) that were in need of fresh mix and more root space.
After i had finished and was putting things away i came across a piece of pvc pipe i had been keeping with the intent to one day use it to plant into.
I cut about eight 2inch holes into the pipe at different heights and angles, and then gave the pipe a light spray with brown spraypaint and stood it in a 10inch pot and then planted it up with a heap of Chlorophytum plants i had.
I must say it turned out way way way better than i had even envisioned, and its going to look even better still when it bushes up a bit.
Only problem is now i will have to find/make or create a place indoors where i can put this 32inch tall, green growing totem pole i created! :)20190321_154839.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: KrankyPants, Billies1, NooNoo and 1 other person
Just spent a few minutes out in the garden doing the second turning of the garden boxes.
I also dug the potatoes from last year and did the first turn on that box.

So to answer my own questions: 1) they did not grow very well in that shaded box so the snow peas and lettuce would be better there. 2) the old timers are right and potatoes do not winter over very well, but the deeper small ones are budding so I should be able to use them for eyes in a different spot.

Also if any one is interested Pepper plants do not do well being planted next to potatoes either.

Such a beautiful day. I went out and second turned two boxes. Dug up all of the "Alliums" (onions garlic and shallots for the non botanist types) and did the third turn and prep of the first box and planted the Alliums. Now for my dilemma. I did not harvest the shallots and garlic last year (the garlic was volunteers) because they did not grow very well last year. Also I must have missed a lot of small sets for the Walla Walla onions because they did not do very good either. So I wound up with a coffee can and toy sand pail full of sprouts. Sat in the warm sun and thought and thought.
Now I am in for a break and will go third prep the second box and plant extra shallots and leave room for more Walla Walla onions this year. I guess I wil hold off planting potatos

I went and bought a bunch of Walla Walla onions this afternoon, and filled the second box about half with onions and the rest in Asian shallots. I still had 4 clusters of shallot starts left and gave them to the neighbors to share.

Home depot had bark mulch on for the good price they offer in the spring. I just got my second load. Now to empty these 20 bags, then get the gumption and dry weather to treat weeds and grass in the beds and spread all of this.

Will we just getting rid of the snow here, won't be able to plant until June.

Egor! Why, oh WHY are you trying to profligate the spread on blackberry! C'mon man! That plant is as insidious up here in the NW as Kudzu in the South! Honestly, you should be prosecuted for gardening crimes. Hahaha!

On a serious note, I'm hoping to get my peppers outside finally. It's still too cold at night here, but the daytime highs are getting up there.

Llayden said:
Egor! Why, oh WHY are you trying to profligate the spread on blackberry! C'mon man! That plant is as insidious up here in the NW as Kudzu in the South! Honestly, you should be prosecuted for gardening crimes. Hahaha!

On a serious note, I'm hoping to get my peppers outside finally. It's still too cold at night here, but the daytime highs are getting up there.

This one stripe/row is so I can pick them easier. Death to all other blackberry pests.

• Haha
Reactions: daddyconnor and PapaBear001
will snow gone but ground like a sponge, and more rain in the forecast, but the lakes are free of ice so can go fishing.
hope to get garden worked up soon though. Most is in raised beds now so can start soon.

Back